PDA

View Full Version : LF photogs stacked up like cordwood at Glacier Pt.

Kevin M Bourque
19-Sep-2005, 06:51
This got mentioned a few days ago, but here's a report after the fact.

I didn't make it to Glacier Point, but by the looks of the picture, I might have been the only one!

http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1595_1.asp

This particular configuration happens every 19 years, but of course the moon is in this phase sometime every month. It looks ALMOST like this quite frequently.

John_4185
19-Sep-2005, 07:07
Those photographers would flock to the opening of a book.

An enterprising capitalist could make something of these 'events', for example recreate a faux D-Day landing complete with custom film processing in boiling Dektol, then a trip to a Leica clinic for triage and finally dinner at a 4-Star restaurant for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder counseling,

Ach, it is Monday and the Day Job is an hour away. Coffee. Need coffee.

John Flavell
19-Sep-2005, 07:08
Photographers should really never gather in groups of more than one.

Bill_1856
19-Sep-2005, 08:24
There was even a brief segment yesterday on the "CBS Sunday Morning News with Charles Osgood."

Darin Boville
19-Sep-2005, 09:13
I stll don't get it. By what standard is thsi photograph famous? I have many Ansel book but don't recognize this one--in all of its fame has it ever been published before?

--Darin

www.darinbovile.com

Eric Biggerstaff
19-Sep-2005, 10:44
I think this was published in his biography - I think.

I do recognize the image and I am not sure that the point is that this image is famous, just that someone decided to figure out when it was made based on the moon location and a news story was created. Thanks to this, the image is probably now more famous than it ever was before or since Ansel's death.

It is pretty amazing if you think about it, even after all these years how much Ansel's name still creates a commotion. His star still shines brightly.

Glad I wasn't there however, what a mess!

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Kerry L. Thalmann
19-Sep-2005, 12:07
Actually, from the photos, I can only see one large format camera in the crowd. Most of them are digicams and a few 35mm SLRs. And while it may look crowded, to me it looks like any typical afternoon at Tunnel View. The only unusual thing about the scene is there are 200 photographers at Glacier Point and none of them appear to be pointing their cameras at Half Dome.

Kerry

Eric Biggerstaff
19-Sep-2005, 13:27
LOL

Well, it still looks nuts. :-)

Steve Lewis
20-Sep-2005, 10:49
Photographers should really never gather in groups of more than one.

Agreed. I think they're all very sad people.

Steve

www.landscapesofwales.co.uk

Curt Palm
20-Sep-2005, 12:06
this was on the front page of the San Francisco Chronicle. I think it is more about an astronomer and his calculations than the photo.