PDA

View Full Version : Kalart rangefinder repair

Oren Grad
18-Sep-2005, 14:02
Can anyone recommend a repair shop in the eastern US that's good with the Graphic Kalart rangefinder?

I do have the Kalart RF repair manual, but I've tried it myself in the past and my results could charitably be described as unfortunate. This time I'd rather send it to someone who knows what he's doing.

Thanks for any suggestions...

David A. Goldfarb
18-Sep-2005, 14:28
Ask at the Graflex.org forum, if you don't get an answer here.

RSalles
18-Feb-2016, 17:03
Oren,

I know this thread is incredible old, but, - as ask doesn't hurt - do you have a digital copy of this service manual?

Thanks,

Renato

chris kleihege
18-Feb-2016, 18:11
Renato,
I think I have a copy of what you need. It's a PDF so I think I need an email address to send it.
Chris

Oren Grad
18-Feb-2016, 18:51
Afraid I don't recall exactly what I had on hand at the time. If what you need is the manual for calibrating a Kalart, there's a so-so reproduction posted at Graflex.org...

http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-manual.html

...as well as a slightly different version, cleaner and in pdf format, at Mike Butkus' camera manual site:

http://www.cameramanuals.org/booklets/kalart_rangefinder.pdf

RSalles
18-Feb-2016, 20:44
Renato,
I think I have a copy of what you need. It's a PDF so I think I need an email address to send it.
Chris
Thanks Chris, pm'ed you with my email address
Oren, thanks for the info, have taken that some days ago, thanks anyway,

Renato

RichardRitter
19-Feb-2016, 06:03
What's the problem?
One of the problems I see a lot is the coating of the beam splitter goes bad and make using and alining very hard. Plus a few others related camera age and a sometimes hard life.

RSalles
19-Feb-2016, 10:41
Richard,

No infinity alignment possible: not with after 15 ft and 4 ft aligned, the second image doesn't goes up enough to coincide. I have tried all the stuff published at graflex.org and everywhere at the net with no success until now.

There are probably a way to adjust in the inside of the rf at the mirror level, but I have a pre-anniversary Miniature Speed Graphic and its model is a bit different one - type F - then those published, more complicated to open to access the mirrors.

Cheers,

Renato

Oren Grad
19-Feb-2016, 10:47
No infinity alignment possible: not with after 15 ft and 4 ft aligned, the second image doesn't goes up enough to coincide.

Which lens are you trying to adjust for?

Jac@stafford.net
19-Feb-2016, 13:12
There are probably a way to adjust in the inside of the rf at the mirror level, but I have a pre-anniversary Miniature Speed Graphic and its model is a bit different one - type F - then those published, more complicated to open to access the mirrors.

With the top off, there is a 'j' shaped spring that tensions, ever so little, the bottom prism. Often it is whacked, missing or jumps off its proper position when the top is put back on. If that is not the case, then it can still be moved tighter left, or backwards, with a gentle squeeze of needle nose pliers at the base, as if the part were a hinge. If that does not move it back far enough, then there is likely corrosion keeping the prism from seating back. An application of vinegar will take care of that. Just don't strip the coating from the prism.

RSalles
19-Feb-2016, 17:52
Which lens are you trying to adjust for?

The Kodak Ektar 101/4.5.

RSalles
19-Feb-2016, 17:54
With the top off, there is a 'j' shaped spring that tensions, ever so little, the bottom prism. Often it is whacked, missing or jumps off its proper position when the top is put back on. If that is not the case, then it can still be moved tighter left, or backwards, with a gentle squeeze of needle nose pliers at the base, as if the part were a hinge. If that does not move it back far enough, then there is likely corrosion keeping the prism from seating back. An application of vinegar will take care of that. Just don't strip the coating from the prism.

Jac,

I'll try out and let you know if it works, thanks for the help,

Renato

Mark Sampson
19-Feb-2016, 19:22
Well, now I have no excuse not to fix the RF on my 3x4 Graphic. Oddly, that 1940 camera has a 125mm Kodak Anastigmat lens. (Somewhere I have a 127mm Ektar...from a '46 Speed.)