PDA

View Full Version : Mystery camera

MikeUK
18-Aug-2018, 17:57
Hello everyone.

I have inherited what I guess is a vintage 4x5 dry plate camera, and as a fairly basic 35 mm shooter I am completely out of my depth! Can anyone please help me figure out what this lovely beast is? I've attached several photographs to illustrate.

The 6 inch f4.5 Ross Xpres lens lens is fairly common and has a pretty good reputation it seems, c.1920s
(link) Information on coverage of Ross Lenses

That size lens was apparently made for 4x5, hence my making the assumption on the plate size.

The leather box that the camera came in says the London Stereoscopic & Photographic Co. with both Regent St. and Cheapside addresses on. Box is a bit of an odd fit so I'm not convinced that it belongs to the camera.

I've been told that the shutter going up to 1/1000th makes the camera a bit younger than it might be? Don't know the dates though.

So, there you go. Hopefully people here enjoy a mystery as much as I do!

Thanks

Mike

andrewch59
18-Aug-2018, 18:59
Thornton Pickard press camera?

Two23
18-Aug-2018, 19:10
Closest match I could come up with the the VanNeck press camera:
https://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/vanneck/page2.html

Note that your camera has a focal plane shutter. That dramatically narrows the search.

Kent in SD

Colin Robertson
19-Aug-2018, 13:39
Mike.
I'd ask in a couple of places, if you haven't already.
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/fadu_front_page.php UK based film only site, with a few camera collectors around.
Also:
http://www.londonstereo.com/contact.html

The original London stereo company is long gone, but a new outfit fronted by Brian May (of the band Queen) is working to promote Stereo imaging. They seem to be very interested in the history of LSC, so whilst your camera isn't a stereo camera they may know something of its history.

MikeUK
20-Aug-2018, 15:00
Thank you for your thoughts everyone.

So far this is what various people have suggested:

Quarter plate Thornton Pickard All Weather Press Camera, made between 1912 - 1920 approx. based upon details of the shutter, it being a version of the Ruby.

The lens serial number apparently puts it in the 1930s, so presumably not original to the camera.

Colin, when I get a bit more time I will follow up your suggested sources.

Mike

Ron (Netherlands)
21-Aug-2018, 00:04
I've been told that the shutter going up to 1/1000th makes the camera a bit younger than it might be?

Camera's with these kind of focal plane shutters were made as from about 1895 (Goerz Anschütz) - and they had already high shutter speeds (the German Deckrullo counted up till 1/2800 sec - although it is assumed that this was only in theory the max available speed).
I had a look in my 'Michel Auer Guide to antique cameras: your camera is not in there. Good look with the search.

MikeUK
21-Aug-2018, 06:02
Camera's with these kind of focal plane shutters were made as from about 1895 (Goerz Anschütz) - and they had already high shutter speeds (the German Deckrullo counted up till 1/2800 sec - although it is assumed that this was only in theory the max available speed).
I had a look in my 'Michel Auer Guide to antique cameras: your camera is not in there. Good look with the search.

Thanks Ron. I got the shutter speed suggestion from a friend who does not know very much about these kinds of cameras, but to be fair he turns out to have been pretty close with his initial age estimate. I think that the opinion about the age of the shutter on another forum may have been based upon the furniture attached to the shutter, e.g. the dial etc. as it changed over time.

Mike

andrewch59
21-Aug-2018, 06:43
My first guess by looking at it was a Goerz Anshutz, however a simple google search of "strut camera" showed a rather substantial variety, that is where I guessed it was a Thorton Pickard Press camera, all the dials and the distinctive front all match.

choiliefan
21-Aug-2018, 07:28
The chromed trim and bellows reminds me of a Zeiss product.
But the Ross lens says no way.

MikeUK
21-Aug-2018, 14:50
My first guess by looking at it was a Goerz Anshutz, however a simple google search of "strut camera" showed a rather substantial variety, that is where I guessed it was a Thorton Pickard Press camera, all the dials and the distinctive front all match.

Yes, I did have a reply that congratulated you Andrew on your accurate educated guess, but for some reason it did not arrive on the forum. There seems to be quite a variety even within these TP cameras, and they were often modified. My example seems rather basic in comparison so I wonder if it is missing a few things like the wire composing frame(s)?

Mike

MikeUK
21-Aug-2018, 14:52
The chromed trim and bellows reminds me of a Zeiss product.
But the Ross lens says no way.

I see what you mean. As I mentioned above, these cameras are said to often be modified so I would not be that surprised to find alterations to permit other manufacturer's lens.

andrewch59
21-Aug-2018, 18:46
Most photographers have large collections of lenses that they use depending on circumstance, portrait, landscape etc. I am not surprised this has a well reputed Ross lens on it.
Anyhow, now that you have it, perhaps you will be tempted to put some film through it??

Jody_S
21-Aug-2018, 21:43
I've had a T-P Ruby Reflex, this isn't one.

MikeUK
22-Aug-2018, 05:23
Most photographers have large collections of lenses that they use depending on circumstance, portrait, landscape etc. I am not surprised this has a well reputed Ross lens on it.
Anyhow, now that you have it, perhaps you will be tempted to put some film through it??

I must admit that the more that I learn the more that I am being tempted away from the selling it option, but it is a big step up from where I am with analogue photography. I.e. little more than point-and-shoot as a kid, returned to it this year and so far have shot four rolls of 35 mm and got them commercially processed.

MikeUK
22-Aug-2018, 05:27
I've had a T-P Ruby Reflex, this isn't one.

Thanks Jody. Yes, the T-P Reflex does look quite a bit different from the T-P Press Camera. I'll leave it to the experts to say whether they share the same shutter.

choiliefan
22-Aug-2018, 11:17
Similar to an ICA Palmos. Perhaps a newer tricked-out iteration by Zeiss-Ikon?

Steven Tribe
22-Aug-2018, 14:59
I vote for a German import - London Stereoscopic were big importers for "own brand" cameras. Mounting a uk lens on the continental camera was standard practice, both before and after WW1. There many German camera makers pre ICA and Zeiss-ikon consolidations and catalogues often showing drawings of shutter controls that are somewhat different than the real thing! i'll have a look through some pre WW1 catalogues.

Jody_S
22-Aug-2018, 20:12
Thanks Jody. Yes, the T-P Reflex does look quite a bit different from the T-P Press Camera. I'll leave it to the experts to say whether they share the same shutter.

I serviced the shutter on my Ruby Reflex. It was quite distinctive, self-capping with a combined winding/speed set dial located under the camera; the entire shutter assembly slid out the back of the camera by removing a few screws, making for incredibly easy servicing.

In operation, the Ruby Reflex shutter is incredibly smooth and whisper-quiet, and quite resembles a Barnack shutter. So much so that I speculated at the time that Oskar Barnack was heavily influenced by the Ruby Reflex shutter when he designed the iconic Leica 35mm camera.

Ron (Netherlands)
25-Aug-2018, 04:38
Perhaps a clear photo of the back of the camera may shed some more light on the search....

btw I also thought about the Van Neck press camera, since its shutter controls a very much alike, however the belows and struts are completely different...

<edit: >

Thornton Pickard press camera?

I think you nailed it perfectly: http://www.presscameras.org/thorntonpickard/tpickard.html

MikeUK
21-May-2020, 14:49
So sorry to have left this thread in limbo for so long! Here is the photo of the back that you asked for Ron. I agree that Andrew nailed it.