PDA

View Full Version : Junk Shop Find (Cambo, 90mm Super Angulon)

Carography
14-Aug-2018, 20:36
While innocently strolling through a Junk shop I find this camera and lens.
Im going to keep the lens but I have no use for the camera as i already have a Toyo 45G. I have been using my Fujinon 210mm and 120mm. So this 90 Is a nice complement.
The Cambo is missing the tripod block so I m not sure what Im Going to do with it. Perhaps find a trade. Ill figure it our and post for sale (or trade).
OH! BTW I paid $100 for both lens and camera.

Leszek Vogt
14-Aug-2018, 22:23
Nice find. Your lens seem to have some 'nitis, but nothing to worry. Either way you shouldn't have any trouble getting back what you paid +. Furthermore, your shutter is of decent quality and some CLA (if necessary) will give you many years of use. Saw several shutters on auction site that fetch more than
your package. Anyhoo, enjoy and take some images.

Les

Havoc
15-Aug-2018, 01:05
Lucky find! At most I find a beat up Praktica.

consummate_fritterer
15-Aug-2018, 04:23
Nice find!! The tripod blocks show up on eBay occasionally.

Carography
15-Aug-2018, 06:28
" some 'nitis" not sure what you mean?? The shutter is great. Sounds nice anyway. On my way to camera repair to have it checked. It has the 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30 shutters NOT the 1/5, 1/10, 1/25, 1/50 shutters on some of these lenses.
Years ago I had the 90mm angulon. (one fifth the size of this lens) and the 121mm super angulon (about 3x the size of this lens). I think they both had the older style shutter speeds. I like both those lenses very much. Im sure im going to love this lens as well.
The same shop had an old 1920, 1930s 8x10 field camera for $400. They were firm on price. Ill go get some pix if I have the chance and post.

Leszek Vogt
15-Aug-2018, 12:32
As to 'nitis, I happen to find this definition from this forum (on Google). But, from what I can see your lens only has a mild case and doubtful it will effect the image. Sometime the lighting might emulate
as if....

"Schneideritis" is flecks of the flat black anti-reflective coating that Schneider paints the insides of their lenses with. ... Double check to make sure if the specks are black paint-like material or if they look like metal.

Indeed, plenty of folk here have a 90mm in their stash. I haven't got there yet, but I do have a 121mm and like it on my 5x7.

Hmmm, it's all relative, Angulon 90 is almost miniature in comparison to 90 Grandagon F4.5. From my observation, your 90mm is pretty much a "standard" wide for 4x5. Don't want to start flame-throwing war here, just going by opinions expressed on this forum.

Les

Carography
15-Aug-2018, 14:55
Thanks, I look closer for "nitis". Regardless the lens will get used. Just need a lens board.
I loved my 121mm on my 4x5. Been Years since Ive had that lens. I am currently using a newer Fujinon 120mm f8.
Cant wait to get this 90mm on my camera.

Bob Salomon
15-Aug-2018, 15:21
Thanks, I look closer for "nitis". Regardless the lens will get used. Just need a lens board.
I loved my 121mm on my 4x5. Been Years since Ive had that lens. I am currently using a newer Fujinon 120mm f8.
Cant wait to get this 90mm on my camera.

Just be aware that your version is not multi coated so be careful for flare!

Carography
15-Aug-2018, 22:32
Can anyone tell me what Model Cambo camera this is. Id like some information so I can post it for sale.
thanks

Leszek Vogt
16-Aug-2018, 21:23
My estimation is that it's Calumet Cambo 45N (SC-N)...spotted one on the auction suite. Mine is similar, except it's all black.

Les

Carography
16-Aug-2018, 23:11
Thanks for the info Les. I saw lots of black cameras as well.

Pere Casals
17-Aug-2018, 02:55
Can anyone tell me what Model Cambo camera this is. Id like some information so I can post it for sale.
thanks

About the schneideritis, it has no impact in the result, if very large areas had lost the paint it could generate some flare, so normally it's just a cosmetic issue. You always can disassembly the lens and painting the spots, but that's not worth technically, some may do it if wanting to sell the lens.

Bernice Loui
17-Aug-2018, 10:25
Schneideritis is not the only _deritis, there is Fujinonderitis, Zeissderitis and others.

In the case of Zeiss microscopes circa 1970's, their "deritis" is optical adhesive failure and more than a few Zeiss microscope optics are not edge painted to reduce internal flare.

Lens "deritis" has less impact on lens image quality than most would want to believe, it just does not appear so nice.

Bernice

"Schneideritis" is flecks of the flat black anti-reflective coating that Schneider paints the insides of their lenses with. ... Double check to make sure if the specks are black paint-like material or if they look like metal.

Les

Havoc
17-Aug-2018, 12:01
Schneideritis is not the only _deritis, there is Fujinonderitis, Zeissderitis and others.

In the case of Zeiss microscopes circa 1970's, their "deritis" is optical adhesive failure and more than a few Zeiss microscope optics are not edge painted to reduce internal flare.

Lens "deritis" has less impact on lens image quality than most would want to believe, it just does not appear so nice.

Bernice

Care to expand on that one? I have had a couple of CZJ medium format lenses that had scheideritis and indeed it is a mere cosmetic issue, easily repaired if the lens is CLA'ed. But the Zeissderitis looks less benign.

Bernice Loui
17-Aug-2018, 17:19
Fujinonderitis looks identical to Schneideritis complete with metallic-whitish appearing spots on the edge of the lens. This happened on some Fujinon lenses of the same vintage as Schneider lenses. There could be some commonality of edge painting materials used between Schneider-Fujinon.

Zeissderitis is bad and far more serious. This is cemented lens elements separating. It begins at the cemented lens edge and progresses to the center of the lens. This can severely degrade optical performance where both Fujinonderitis & Schneideritis more often than not does not have a significant or serious impact on overall optical performance.

As time passed, Schneider, Fujinon, Zeiss and others figured out the problem and does not occur as common as it once did back in the late 1960's to 1970's.

Have yet to have edge painting or lens cementing problems with Wild Heerbrugg, Nikon, Leica-Leitz, Olympus, Nikon microscopes.

Bernice