PDA

View Full Version : red dot Artar info retaining Ring etc..

Sven Schroder
16-Sep-2005, 05:03
Hello

Just needing some info, having received a 24" in a copal 3 with no flange/retaining ring, does anyone have info on the flange size and pitch of the Orginal barrel as this has used in the mounting. The diameter is approx 76mm, it almost fits the flange of my 240 heliar in a compound IV/III. So does anyone no a source of flanges available to the UK.
Serial numbers from what I've seen a No 80**75 is some time after 1955.
Stablity my Gandolfi precision is solid, is a second tripod needed or just a manfrotto Magic arm.
So thanks in advance
Sven

Sven Schroder
16-Sep-2005, 05:17
Hello

Just been looking Sk grimes list of mounted lenses and this confirms that I need original barrel flange, the lens was purchased here in the UK at a good price, less than the cost of the shutter alone, maybe it was mounted by Sk grimes. Also the F11 is marked in dots rather than white lettering as from F16 down. Thinking about apertures is F22 optimum for infinity as well, what stops can I use for 10x8 colour with enlargement and 10x8 B&w contact print only?
Thanks again
Sven

Steve Hamley
16-Sep-2005, 05:23
Sven,

The flange that fits a Copal 3 should be available from anyone who sells Copal shutters so I'd contact Robert White. If he doesn't carry them he could probably order one for you. You may have to use a retaining ring verssus a flange depending on the age of the shutter. I don't understand why you're interested in the flange size for the original barrel - the barrel flange and the Copal flange may not be the same.

You can order one from S.K. Grimes for sure, IIRC they're about 55 USD, quite spendy for what they are. You might do better pricewise over buying UK new by e-mailing the big stores like Midwest Photo Exchange, Quality Camera, Photo Gizzmo, E.P. Levine, or Lens and Repro for a used one.

Steve

Steve Hamley
16-Sep-2005, 05:32
Sven,

The optimum aperture will depend on your composition, but in general you need to be thinking no wider than f/32 and more like f/45 and f/64 for 8x10 if the composition has any depth to it at all. This is one of the big differences between 4x5 and larger formats.

Steve

Struan Gray
16-Sep-2005, 06:08
Did you snag the one at MW Classic? If so, I hate you. :-)

If you can't get a flange from Robert White, SRB film services sell all sorts of custom flanges and threaded rings. For something this simple though, a stock ring from S.K.Grimes will probably be cheaper, even with the postage.

Sven Schroder
16-Sep-2005, 08:12
Sorry Struan

Apoligies, I was first out of three and four of us, anyway it may bring me Bad luck : ) the hassel of getting this flange? its not a copal 3 flange, I checked against a 480 Apo ronar I have. A portion of the orignal barrel is threaded on to where the retaining ring would normally fasten so I need a flange for a barrel mount 24" , I think I'll check with SK Grimes.
Along with the 125mm Zeiss Dagor MW Classic have been good to me; ) and out on ebay goes that big 610 apo nikkor that takes up the room of two lenses in my bag.

Considering myself Hated :-)
Sven

Struan Gray
16-Sep-2005, 13:46
Hat's off to you for getting there first.

The thread is almost certainly metric, with a 0.75 mm pitch. If you measure the outside diameter with a caliper and round up to the nearest millimeter, that'll be the size you need. Don't be surprised if it's not a 'standard' filter size - the process lenses I've handled have had all sorts of oddball diameters.

Sven Schroder
16-Sep-2005, 14:14
Hi

I'll work with the compound IV flange for now, the drainpipe on the house across the road never looked so sharp before. I'll get out in the and about with it this coming week. Other odd size and flangeless lenses are a 7" hugo meyer W A aristostigmat a frustrating millimeter or two off any flange I have, that adjustable iris clamp is saving the day at the moment, well for small lens anyway: )

Thanks and checkout that 360 universal Heliar at MWclassic : )
Sven

Struan Gray
16-Sep-2005, 14:23
It's the 20" Xpres that gets my juices flowing.

Amund BLix Aaeng
16-Sep-2005, 14:44
I have a 16 1/2" R.D. Artar with a similar configuration(Compur 3 Shutter, but threaded barrel) and had Grimes make me a flange based on my measurments, big mistake,...Send the lens or the barrel to Grimes to make a flange that fits your paricular lens, like I have to do now.... :-( $95 down the drain....

Wayne_6692
12-Mar-2024, 03:38
Hi

I'll work with the compound IV flange for now, the drainpipe on the house across the road never looked so sharp before. I'll get out in the and about with it this coming week. Other odd size and flangeless lenses are a 7" hugo meyer W A aristostigmat a frustrating millimeter or two off any flange I have, that adjustable iris clamp is saving the day at the moment, well for small lens anyway: )

Thanks and checkout that 360 universal Heliar at MWclassic : )
Sven

Hi Sven,

I came across this ancient thread while searching for a flange for a 24" Artar that I picked up. At first, I thought it was yours lens, the description is exactly the same, right down to the dots on the aperture scale for f/11. But the last 2 digits of the serial number are different, mine is: 15.
Anyway, how did you resolve your issue?
I measure the male thread as 2.940" x 30tpi, since it was made in the U.S. I didn't think it would be metric.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Wayne

Tracy Storer
12-Mar-2024, 13:29
Artars of different ages will be different sizes, my 24" is later than yours, an aluminum barrel one, and my compound IV flange (also with a 240 Heliar in it) is way too big.