PDA

View Full Version : TMX 100 in HC-110

John Flavell
15-Sep-2005, 21:32
Does anyone have any experience with tmx 100 developed in HC-110? Or, could it be that the Illford would be better in that chemistry?

Ron Marshall
15-Sep-2005, 21:55
I tried FP4+ in HC110 and found it to be grainier than when I developed in D76, but one stop faster.

I develop tmx in D76 and like the results, but have not tried it in HC110.

Tadge Dryja
16-Sep-2005, 05:18
I'm not much of a developer-head or magic bullet chaser or whatever you want to call it; that is to say I generally don't fret too much about films and developers, but I didn't really like TMX in HC-110. Same with Acros. I got grain that was noticably worse than D76, and certainly worse than Acros / microfine.

That said if you're not enlarging too much and aren't too worried about grain, it works fine.

It's too bad, really, since I'd like to just use HC-110 for everything since it's cheap and easy and comes as a cool goo... but it just didn't seem a great match for these modern-grain films. Just my ¥2.

Kevin Crisp
16-Sep-2005, 08:19
I was really unimpressed with TMAX 100 in HC110, though I like the developer for other films. I read J. Sexton's old (1987?) article recommending d76 1:1 and have found it very useful film in that combination or Xtol. Ihaven't tried Kodak's dedicated developer, which seems popular based on what others say. I just process it in trays, following the constant agitation technique in Kodak lit.

John Flavell
16-Sep-2005, 09:17
Thanks, all. I am a great lover of HC-110 because it travels easy and stores easy. However, I'm heading west for a couple of weeks to a high desert mesa and I need to shift to a slower speed film from my favorite, Tri-X. If anyone has a reason to talk me out of that idea, I'd be glad to hear it.

ronald moravec
16-Sep-2005, 09:18
Tm100 looks ok inHC110 and you will be happy untill you try it in D76 undiluted or 1:1. The tones are no so squished together and it generally looks more lively rather than flat.

Perhaps that is the reason HC110 is not listed as a primary recommendation on Kodak`s site, but a secondary one. It is not in bold type.

Eric Biggerstaff
16-Sep-2005, 09:54
John,

Just curious, why switch film?

I live in the West and photograph in all types of conditions and places and never switch film ( I use HP5+ or Tri-X). Why do you need to switch films?

John Flavell
16-Sep-2005, 11:24
Eric, that is a good question. I've shot TriX in one form or another all my life. I think while thinking too much, I'm wondering if the fine textures of sand and stone will be recorded acurately. As usual, I probably will go my own--and known--way and take the TriX. The question of switching over was a matter of being open minded.

Eric Biggerstaff
16-Sep-2005, 13:28
So many great iamges have been made with that film, and I am sure it will show texture very well. On a big trip like this, you might want to go with a combination that is tried and true for you as this will remove one layer of possible stress and let you concentrate on the art as opposed to the process, just a thought.