PDA

View Full Version : 2 unusual lenses-seeking information

Birck
9-Aug-2018, 15:10
One of them is merely odd, but is apparently usable. It's a Wollensak Medium Format 75mm in-I think-an Alphax shutter. I know the usual pattern would be a (name) lens in a Wollensak shutter, but go figure. What's odd is that the shutter only has three speeds plus T & B. Everything seems to be functional, but it needs to be CLA. Any advice on this? Is it worth salvaging?
The other lens is-to me, anyway, a new wrinkle. It's a Polaroid lens, that is, a Rodenstock 75mm, in a Prontor shutter, clearly for 4 X5 or larger, and the self-cocking shutter functions convincingly, but there is no apparent way to set the aperture. The scale is there, from f4.5 to f22, matching the speed scale, but there doesn't seem to be an iris. Can anybody explain the presence of the aperture scale, but the absence of a diaphragm? Is there a way to use this combination shutter and lens in a functioning camera? Waterhouse stops, maybe?

Bob Salomon
9-Aug-2018, 15:44
One of them is merely odd, but is apparently usable. It's a Wollensak Medium Format 75mm in-I think-an Alphax shutter. I know the usual pattern would be a (name) lens in a Wollensak shutter, but go figure. What's odd is that the shutter only has three speeds plus T & B. Everything seems to be functional, but it needs to be CLA. Any advice on this? Is it worth salvaging?
The other lens is-to me, anyway, a new wrinkle. It's a Polaroid lens, that is, a Rodenstock 75mm, in a Prontor shutter, clearly for 4 X5 or larger, and the self-cocking shutter functions convincingly, but there is no apparent way to set the aperture. The scale is there, from f4.5 to f22, matching the speed scale, but there doesn't seem to be an iris. Can anybody explain the presence of the aperture scale, but the absence of a diaphragm? Is there a way to use this combination shutter and lens in a functioning camera? Waterhouse stops, maybe?
If it is from a Polaroid it is most likely for close up or macro, is this what you plan to do? If not it would not be very good at infinity and probably would not cover 45, unless it is a Grandagon.
Is it marked Roganar, Roganr S, Rodagon, Grandagon or something else?

Dan Fromm
9-Aug-2018, 16:55
Birck, Alphax is a Wollensak brand. They made, among others, Alphax, Betax, Gammax and Rapax shutters.

75 mm Rodenstock lens in a Prontor press shutter? Most likely for a Polaroid MP-3 copy/macro stand. Useless for general photography. Most likely a Ysaron. Don't waste any resources (time, sweat, $$$) on trying to use it. Another example of the corrupting influence of found money.

Mark Sawyer
9-Aug-2018, 18:07
The Wollensak is most likely an oscilloscope lens, pretty common and not particularly desirable. I agree with Bob and Dan on the Polaroid lens. Both are easy to find on ebay if you want to compare.

Fotoguy20d
9-Aug-2018, 18:10
I had a wollensak like that from some cheap 6x6 camera. Also, I remember one like that on a Graflex TLR I used to have

consummate_fritterer
9-Aug-2018, 19:43
If the Wollensak is a f/1.9 Dumont CRO, those have been selling for crazy prices on eBay.

Birck
10-Aug-2018, 03:01
Thank you all for the information. I can now cross the Polaroid off my list of usable lenses. I didn't mention that I have had these lenses since the 1970's, the first time I started using large format equipment. Apparently I failed to note that the Polaroid lens didn't have an iris. Young and stupid. Thanks again.

Birck
10-Aug-2018, 08:48
For anybody interested, I figured out what the aperture/iris problem was with the Polaroid lens. I used eBay (of course) and found a fore-and-aft photo of an identical lens. See attached. No idea why the control ring was removed.Click image for larger version. Name: Mine & ebay.jpg Views: 0 Size: 36.4 KB ID: 181412181414

Jim Andrada
10-Aug-2018, 19:22
Some Polaroid lenses had the apertures removed to function as a sort of soft focus lens.

Bob Salomon
10-Aug-2018, 19:26
For anybody interested, I figured out what the aperture/iris problem was with the Polaroid lens. I used eBay (of course) and found a fore-and-aft photo of an identical lens. See attached. No idea why the control ring was removed.Click image for larger version. Name: Mine & ebay.jpg Views: 0 Size: 36.4 KB ID: 181412181414

A method to keep the lens at the required aperature for the purpose it was set up for.

Birck
11-Aug-2018, 02:42
I guess it's usable if all I want to shoot is f4.5 and shallow DOF.

Dan Fromm
11-Aug-2018, 06:59
I guess it's usable if all I want to shoot is f4.5 and shallow DOF.

Close up, yes. At distance, no. The lens is an f/4.5 tessar type. These typically cover ~ 110% of their focal length at infinity stopped well down, less wide open.