PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP ----- 8x10 tray developing, pictures coming out Black, in Rodinal -----

Clieben
8-Aug-2018, 18:51
Hello,

Attempting to develop some 8x10s, in trays, with Rodinal. (Just got delivered from freestyle). I am in the west so it was in some heat probably while being ground shipped...

First 8x10 in, just turned black within a minute....

Immediately loaded camera, took a photo of the window..... attempted to develop, same thing... a little more slowly developed into black.

Using a small red safe light, also from freestyle...

Thermometer they sent didnt work, so I kept water "lukewarm" after reading 68-75 degrees for rodinal.

My measurement was 3 cups of water to 15mL of rodinal.

What am I doing wrong???? Yes film was loaded correctly.

LONG TIME reader and peruser of this forum.... first time developing...... please inform.

Duolab123
8-Aug-2018, 20:43
Don't use any safelight with film. If you are using normal camera film, it must be handled in absolute darkness. Any panchromatic film exposed to red safelight is no good.

Rick A
9-Aug-2018, 01:24
Panchromatic film can only be handled in total darkness. This means no safelight, or any light, for any reason, except for making an exposure in the camera. Period. Orthochromatic films may be handled under dark red safelight no closer than one meter from the film.

monsta
9-Aug-2018, 03:07
I hope you didn't take the film out in the safelight too.

Clieben
9-Aug-2018, 03:46
I hope you didn't take the film out in the safelight too.

Yep. All good now, just lost two at the beginning. Dev about 25 since then.... TY.

ic-racer
10-Aug-2018, 11:38
Maybe experiment first with x-ray film. Having a safe-light can help you as you get used to tray development and film-holder loading.
Just loading, exposing and processing a sheet is OK but to get expert results there is a real art to the whole technique.

Dark green lights can also be found for pan-chromatic film inspection development, but you can only use the dark green lamp for a few seconds to do the "inspection."