PDA

View Full Version : Oriental Seagull black and white paper (grade 2,3,4)

Goldman
7-Aug-2018, 06:35
Is anybody prints on Oriental Seagull black and white grade paper? How is RC grade 2 or 3 paper? Do you prefer RC or Fiber paper? I will print from 4x5 black and white "Foma 100" negative.

Thanks
Bill

Jim Noel
7-Aug-2018, 13:10
Fiber paper only.!
Once RC papers were introduced I have experimented with various RC papers and always chosen fibre base.

Tin Can
7-Aug-2018, 13:51
I bought Seagull 20X24 RC #3 because it's cheapest to buy and fast to wash.

A couple years ago B&H stocked it and shipped for free, very well boxed with a $50 order. Adorama was cheapest to buy the 20X24 paper safe.

I was and am always experimenting.

What's the LFPF Motto?

'Test everything for yourself!'

Drew Wiley
7-Aug-2018, 15:16
Seagull G Bromide FB graded paper was a wonderful classic product, but it's long gone. The rumor was that the ban of cadmium ended that emulsion. Then several years later another graded version was made, which didn't have the same spunk, and the Gr 4 was a bellyflop with no guts at all; but at least they matched the image color and toning effect of the original product. Their VC products have never impressed me, though once again they did a good job matching the original color. I've never used RC papers at all for personal work - only for commercial jobs destined for the printing press.

Pauladelaide
15-Nov-2019, 17:31
Oriental has been out of stock at B&H for a while. Does anyone know if there is a production issue?

Oren Grad
15-Nov-2019, 17:58
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?155074-Oriental-paper-scarcity