PDA

View Full Version : Ilex Paragon 10" (254mm), Set In Ilex #3 Shutter

pendennis
28-Jul-2018, 09:33
Considering buying this lens for a slightly longer view than my Caltar 210mm f5.6. Using on either my Super Graphic 4x5 or Cambo SC 4x5. Seems the specs show minimal coverage for 8x10. Probably why I'm looking at it. Not a modern coated lens, but seems interesting.

Price is right, lens is spotless, shutter fires properly. I've searched this, and other forums, but not a lot of info on this Ilex. I did see some references to a Caltar in the early 60's, but this seems to predate that one.

Any reason not to buy this one?

Luis-F-S
28-Jul-2018, 09:43
If you want it for 8 x 10 I'd get a 12 inch Dagor instead if you have enough bellows. If not, or for 45 or 57 I'd get the Caltar. Remember that most lenses are better than most photographers!

Mark Sampson
28-Jul-2018, 09:54
It's a Tessar design; a competitor for the Kodak Ektar in its time, and underrated today. It will barely cover 8x10 (probably designed for whole-plate format), and its view will be not much different than your 210. if it's uncoated it will have less contrast than your modern Caltar. Still a good sharp lens... but Luis-F-S is probably right. (Although you haven't mentioned the ask for this lens, and a 12" Dagor will be very spendy.)

Louis Pacilla
28-Jul-2018, 10:27
Hey Dennis

Whats the maximum aperture?

"IF" the max aperture is f4.5 & it's tagged "Paragon Series S" it will be a Tessar design. The 10" Ic wont give great covering of 8x10 at infinity but would work ok for portraits. It will have decent 5x7 coverage and fairly good coverage on 4x5. Ilex had two Series prefixes for their Tessar Ic design "Series A" Paragon or the "Series S" Paragon.

The Series A Paragon was earlier and could/can be found with a soft focus feature 0-5. Its just like the Velostigmat Series II from the same time period. Also if you remove the limit pegs in side the front pair SF feature you can dial a load of very nice diffusion. available in focal lengths up to a 19" (for a period). never factory coated

The Series S Paragon was later after Ilex started coating lenses post WWII and was not offed in as many focal lengths or w/ the soft focus feature. Available in less focal lengths & only ever up to 12" and mostly found w/ factory signal coating.

It could be that Ilex used the Paragon name for other designs but mostly it was used for their Tessar/Ic design for many years.

BTW there was a Type S f4.8 10" Ilex in shutter but it may be a fast plasmat design & there was also a Ilex Caltar copy of a Tessar IIb/Commercial Ektar f6.3 but none of these had the "Paragon" tag. At least as far as I could discern .

mdarnton
28-Jul-2018, 10:30
That's a perfect portrait length for 4x5. I have a 12" one I use on 5x7, and consider it the best lens I own, in terms of creamy rendering. You don't say if it's an f/4.5 or f/6.3, but they are both good lenses.

Click through for a big view where you can really get an idea of the quality:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3847/14690979160_10ee14c2fd_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ooc7h9)
Eric (https://flic.kr/p/ooc7h9) by Michael Darnton (https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaeldarnton/), on Flickr

pendennis
28-Jul-2018, 11:31
Hey Dennis

Whats the maximum aperture?

"IF" the max aperture is f4.5 & it's tagged "Paragon Series S" it will be a Tessar design. The 10" Ic wont give great covering of 8x10 at infinity but would work ok for portraits. It will have decent 5x7 coverage and fairly good coverage on 4x5. Ilex had two Series prefixes for their Tessar Ic design "Series A" Paragon or the "Series S" Paragon.

The Series A Paragon was earlier and could/can be found with a soft focus feature 0-5. Its just like the Velostigmat Series II from the same time period. Also if you remove the limit pegs in side the front pair SF feature you can dial a load of very nice diffusion. available in focal lengths up to a 19" (for a period). never factory coated

The Series S Paragon was later after Ilex started coating lenses post WWII and was not offed in as many focal lengths or w/ the soft focus feature. Available in less focal lengths & only ever up to 12" and mostly found w/ factory signal coating.

It could be that Ilex used the Paragon name for other designs but mostly it was used for their Tessar/Ic design for many years.

BTW there was a Type S f4.8 10" Ilex in shutter but it may be a fast plasmat design & there was also a Ilex Caltar copy of a Tessar IIb/Commercial Ektar f6.3 but none of these had the "Paragon" tag. At least as far as I could discern .

Max aperture is f/6.3. Should have posted that first.

Dan Fromm
28-Jul-2018, 11:57
Max aperture is f/6.3. Should have posted that first.

This forum has resources. Of interest to you, http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?138978-Where-to-look-for-information-on-LF-(mainly)-lenses has a link to an article on Ilex lenses that has links to catalogs. Look at it, follow the links.

Peter De Smidt
28-Jul-2018, 12:33
Get it! It’s one of my favorite lenses.

pendennis
28-Jul-2018, 20:07
Get it! It’s one of my favorite lenses.

Done, and done! Pick up on Monday!

pendennis
31-Jul-2018, 12:05
Picked the lens up from the dealer yesterday, and it's just beautiful. Not a mark on it; no separation, fungus, etc. Just a slight bit of internal dust, but not enough to affect anything.

Now to the mounting - The shutter is an Ilex Universal f/6.3-45. My personal preference is for a different type, but this one works perfectly, so my "need" is down the road. This lens board looks like a Graphic View can be adapted.