PDA

View Full Version : Joshua Tree Accomodations

HMG
27-Jul-2018, 17:53
A niece is getting married next March in Palm Springs. I'm sure Palm Springs is nice, but just not my thing. So I'm thinking of the minimum time in Palm Springs and then more time at Joshua Tree. The wife will be with me and she things camping is nice - but not her thing.

So I'm wondering about nice hotel/motel accommodations very near the park. Any suggestions?

Also, will have a rental car. It doesn't appear that a rental car will be too great a hindrance for getting around it the park. Correct?

And looking into RV rental as well.

Michael Clark
27-Jul-2018, 18:04
There are plenty of hotels/motels alone Hwy 62 from the city of Joshua Trees to Twenty nine Palms which the two north entrances are located.

Jim Noel
27-Jul-2018, 19:58
Rental car OK.
There are 4 new motels in 29 Palms the little town at the entrance to the park. Check Google for the name of the major franchise motels.

Pieter
28-Jul-2018, 10:21
Stayed at the 29 Palms Inn last year. Would recommend it. Charming, not fancy, from the '30s but comfortable enough.

karl french
28-Jul-2018, 10:35
Jumbo Rocks campground is nice.

HMG
29-Jul-2018, 16:58
29 Palms Inn looks pretty neat. That's the type of place I'm looking for - not a chain type cookie cutter place. A bit pricey (to midwest me) for what they are but I guess it's location, location, location. I suppose if I go there I'll have to get the room they call "The Dark Room". :)

I've also found a few on Airbnb, including some non-mobile airstreams.

My N.P. geezer pass will be put to good use.

Pieter
29-Jul-2018, 17:17
181023There's an oasis on the grounds that is interesting. Also, if you can fit it in, go see the Noah Purifoy Outdoor Desert Art Museum of Assemblage Sculpture http://www.noahpurifoy.com/visit/

29 Palms Inn looks pretty neat. That's the type of place I'm looking for - not a chain type cookie cutter place. A bit pricey (to midwest me) for what they are but I guess it's location, location, location. I suppose if I go there I'll have to get the room they call "The Dark Room". :)

I've also found a few on Airbnb, including some non-mobile airstreams.

My N.P. geezer pass will be put to good use.

rorye
30-Jul-2018, 12:11
I usually stay here- https://www.joshuatreeinn.com/RoomsandRates/

Jeff T
30-Jul-2018, 14:00
One option is to rent an RV, park it at Indian Cove Campground, reservation required.

John Layton
30-Jul-2018, 15:12
I'll second the opinion for Jumbo Rocks. Yeah...its campin' - but what amazing surroundings!

HMG
2-Sep-2018, 13:10
If it were up to me I'd tent camp. But my wife isn't into tent camping. Will have to look further into RV rental. Joshua Tree Inn looks good.

Greg
2-Sep-2018, 15:46
I'd definitely rent an RV. My wife doesn't camp but a few years ago we owned a small RV (2005 Rialta), and she had no problem staying in it for a week or more. RV would have to be self-contained since I don't think there are any utilities in Joshua Tree. Boondocking with an RV in not a problem if one is frugal with modern devices. We've done it many times. Spend the evening around a fire pit instead of watching TV inside the RV. Years ago took some week long trips to Joshua Tree to rock climb with friends, we always camped out. Enjoyed waking up to sunrises and watching sunsets. Suggest that you get the book JOSHUA TREE, rock climbing guide by Randy Vogel. Maps and photos of the rock formations indispensable if you spend time at Joshua Tree.