PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss Discovery

Ben Calwell
27-Jul-2018, 09:40
Years ago, I lusted after an Arca-Swiss Discovery 4x5. The fever is on me again, as I have found a used one for a fairly good price. I have a bad case of GAS and in fact was going to buy a used Fuji XT-1. But now this Arca Swiss Discovery thing has captured my heart again. Years ago, the late Brian Ellis responded to a forum member about why he should keep his Tachihara and not buy a Discovery. I thought it was hilarious then, and it still is. And his reply applies to me, too. Here is Brian's response:

"You shouldn't be spending any more money on camera equipment right now, there are too many things around the house that need fixing or replacement. Neglecting your house and family in order to buy more camera gear is only going to instill feelings of guilt and buyer's remorse. Don't you think your wonderful wife, who worked so hard to put your through taxidermy school, deserves something more than seeing the UPS guy coming up the steps with yet another box of camera stuff? Or did you plan to sneak off to the basement to open the box and then tell her it just contained film? I hope not. And at some level of rationality I'm sure you know that you aren't going to make any better photographs with an Arca than you do with your Tachihara."

Brian Ellis wrote some of most humorous posts on this forum.

Christopher Barrett
27-Jul-2018, 12:21
Ya know... I have an XT-1 that I've been considering getting rid of...

#fantheflames

Ben Calwell
27-Jul-2018, 13:26
Christopher -- great work on your website. Were any of those images shot with the XT-1?

Christopher Barrett
27-Jul-2018, 13:40
Thanks, Ben. That's actually all either Phase One or Sony A7r2. I used the XT-1 mostly for scouting but recently replaced it with the Leica CL. The Fuji does make damn pretty files, I've been tempted to hold onto it.

Ben Calwell
27-Jul-2018, 13:53
I've been looking to get one plus the Fuji 14mm or 10-24mm for real estate interiors. I used to use Fujinon lenses on my large format cameras. They make great lenses.

esearing
28-Jul-2018, 04:20
The discovery looks like a nice camera, but at 7 pounds/ 3.1kg its not exactly a hiking camera. If you have the disposable income, go for it. Keep in mind with the new camera comes other new item costs such as lensboards, and all the stuff you don't have to shoot 4x5 if moving from digital back to analog.

Tin Can
28-Jul-2018, 05:35
I almost wish I had a third wife to spoil, 2 have passed. Sad...

Bidding now on more gear...

GAS is good to me, burp...

Tinkering as Rome burns...

Christopher Barrett
28-Jul-2018, 05:37
I've been looking to get one plus the Fuji 14mm or 10-24mm for real estate interiors. I used to use Fujinon lenses on my large format cameras. They make great lenses.

The 10-24 is really great glass, super sharp with little to no distortion.

Ben Calwell
28-Jul-2018, 08:12
I'll probably pass on the Discovery, as I already have a 4x5 camera -- a Wista DX and a few lenses. If I had the money, though, I'd buy it.