PDA

View Full Version : Advice for marks on film after processing

PeterDolan
26-Jul-2018, 19:10
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on some marks that I have on my film after it came back from the lab. Specifically, in this sample image from my scanner (unedited), there are some a few issues

1. There are the obvious bright spots that I'm guessing were some light leaks in my film holder, but could they have been mishandling in some other way? I've inspected the film holders closely and don't see anything obviously wrong. I load and unload my film in a dark bag, nothing too fancy, which is a little bit cramped. Does this look like a light leak from mishandling, something wrong with my film holder, or something else?
2. There are some vertical streaks (most visible at the left edge and right edge), and some other things that look almost like a water stain (at the left below the small puffy cloud). What would be causing something like this? Was it a problem in processing? I do wet-mount scanning and am pretty careful to press out the fluid quite evenly, so I'm pretty sure this was damage on the film. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Peter

consummate_fritterer
26-Jul-2018, 19:15
Those are not light leaks. The bright spots are caused by gunk in the chemistry and the streaks are caused by delay between baths. I see mottling throughout the image which is also probably caused by delay between baths.

koraks
27-Jul-2018, 00:28
I agree with what has been said above, albeit that the bands along the edges can also be the result of suboptimal agitation. What tank do you use for development and how do you agitate?

PeterDolan
27-Jul-2018, 09:30
That's disappointing, but thank you both for your diagnosis!

The film was processed by a commercial lab, which I apparently won't be using again. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a commercial lab that I'm happy with, and may just need to dive into doing my own C41 processing.

Jim Noel
27-Jul-2018, 14:20
C-41 processing today is as simple as B&W. Just follow the kit directions. I assume this is your first C=41 processing, thus the kit.