PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives To Grain Focusing Loupe?

LFLarry
24-Jul-2018, 19:03
I am looking for an alternative to a grain focusing loupe when making my enlargements.

Any clever ideas for an alternative to the loupe?

Thanks

Larry

Liquid Artist
24-Jul-2018, 20:04
It's really no different than focusing on the ground glass.
If you want a nice sharp image without laying your face right on the paper you should be able to use a nice more powerful magnifying glass or loop.
Pick some key points like the spokes on a bicycle or shingles on a roof and focus until they are sharp.

One issue that we often run into is we just don't have any visible grain in our work, so nothing for a grain focuser to pick up on.

Jac@stafford.net
24-Jul-2018, 21:08
I am looking for an alternative to a grain focusing loupe when making my enlargements.

The only thing better than a grain focus scope is two grain scopes. Use the one that is correct. Be sure to put a scrap of enlarging paper (same kind you are printing on) under the base.

Louis Pacilla
24-Jul-2018, 21:13

Thanks

Larry

Hey Larry which focusing device do you use? Because If your not using a Peak/Micromega Model 1 Prof Z Critical focusing device Your not doing yourself any favors as the Model 1 is heads above the rest.

Here's a link to B&H page (looks as though they are not available new any longer.)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40920-REG/Peak_PK20001_Critical_Enlarging_Focuser_Model.html

koraks
25-Jul-2018, 00:44
Try a pair of +4 or even +5 reading glasses and lean in really close on the projected image.

EdSawyer
25-Jul-2018, 06:23
I have a spare Magnasight grain focuser that you can view from a fairly long distance, with both eyes open, that might be easier than the typical grain focusers - let me know if any interest.

Tin Can
25-Jul-2018, 07:05
Before eye surgery, I was using 3 different grain focusers on each print. PeaK, Magna and something tiny. It can be tough for less than perfect eyes.

Next week I will be trying everything mentioned in this thread including high power magnifiers and condensers.

Maybe I need something custom...

Now I'm off to the Big Box Home store where I can't see anything under those horrible lights.

Need some enlarger parts and a hoist!

Ted R
25-Jul-2018, 10:45
I find the right tool to be a blessing and a focus magnifier is the right tool.

The ones made by Paterson are good and inexpensive (two heights) there are plenty of others on ebay.

The "rollsroyce" of focus magnifiers is the adjustable model originally made by PEAK of Japan and sold until very recently, this model was also made by PEAK for the American brand Omega as the MICROMEGA focus magnifier, sometimes these can be found at pleaces like ebay.com for much less than the PEAK original, the are identical in every respect, I own both. The mirrors can get worn (first surface very vulnerable) so look for one with a good mirror, they may be hard to find now.

One of the advantages of the "PEAK" type is that it works all over the baseboard which allows corner focus to be checked, most of the fixed and inexpensive focusers operate only in the center.

PS many of these devices include adjustment for individual eyesight variations and this adjustment should be made before use.

nmp
25-Jul-2018, 11:28
Wild idea: iPhone has a magnifier app. Probably Androids do too. You can probably make a stand or something to hold it steady and check out the focus.

Bob Salomon
25-Jul-2018, 11:43
Wild idea: iPhone has a magnifier app. Probably Androids do too. You can probably make a stand or something to hold it steady and check out the focus.

How would you make it adjust to show the focus at the paper position?

nmp
25-Jul-2018, 12:05
How would you make it adjust to show the focus at the paper position?

It does have auto-focus like the normal camera mode. Don't know if it is sensitive enough to look at the grain and focus on it. So might have to find a an edge or something to provide an adequate contrast. I have no idea how effective it will be compared to the grain focus loupe, though. Just a thought. No guarantees...:)

Jac@stafford.net
25-Jul-2018, 14:07
One of the advantages of the "PEAK" type is that it works all over the baseboard which allows corner focus to be checked, most of the fixed and inexpensive focusers operate only in the center.

The long mirror version does that. Take care with the small mirror model. FWIW, my last Peak was used and heavily discounted due to a scratched mirror which is fine because replacement mirrors are still available, reasonably priced, and child-play to replace. (The mirror has a hinged protective cover which is good because it is a surface mirror.)

jim10219
26-Jul-2018, 11:00
I've gone through several. I came across a box of them a while back and kept the best and sold the rest. My favorite of the group was the Bogen Super Sharp. It had the highest magnification of the bunch, making the grain easier to see. It also was sturdy, well built, and easy to use. Although I will say the tall Patterson grain focuser I had was nice for saving your back. But sometimes it was too tall to be useful, and I didn't feel the need to own two focuser. I've never used a PEAK grain focuser, as they're often much more costly, and I get by fine with my Bogen. So long as my enlarger is aligned properly, I don't feel the need to check the corners.

And in all honesty, I don't think I really NEED any grain focuser. I focus by sight with my bare eyes first, and then confirm focus with the grain focuser. I'm rarely off. It's just like focusing a manual focus camera. It can be hard to tell if you're in focus, but if you pull it slightly out of focus both ways, it's not too hard to figure out where the image is sharpest. Now if your eyes are bad, then you probably need one. But if the light looks in focus to you with your head just a few inches away, then the print will look in focus to you with head just a few inches away. Of course since I already own a grain focuser (which didn't cost me a dime after I sold the others off), I don't mind spending the extra 30 seconds to double check. But if I didn't own one, I wouldn't miss it. So I'd say the best alternative to a grain focuser is no grain focuser, assuming your eyesight and technique are good.

LFLarry
26-Jul-2018, 18:38
I really like the +4/+5 reading glasses idea! I am going to try that one for sure.

Thalmees
5-Aug-2018, 22:15
Thanks
Larry
Larry, hope the attached photo could help.
No need to lean down much, unless you have near sightedness. If so, wear your eye glasses. Focussing with viewers is not that super easy, but it could really help.
Do not know about really big enlarging, say 10X from 4X5.
Also, Paterson grain focuser, is about 30-33cm high over the paper surface.
BTW, I think, Kaiser Focuscop, is shorter than LPL Viewer.
Good luck.
https://s15.postimg.cc/nagjqb7iz/IMG_2342.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/kgdecv5cn/)