PDA

View Full Version : Sepia/selenium toner primer

koraks
23-Jul-2018, 13:24
A friend of mine and myself spent an hour or two in the darkroom today to do a quick & dirty trial with one paper, sepia/selenium toning and a warm tone and a cool tone developer. For general entertainment I'll share the outcome here.

Paper used: Adox MCP312
Warm tone developer: Ilford ID78 1+9
Cool tone developer: Bürki & Jennings 1+2 with 7 drops of 1% benzotriazole added to 150ml of developer
Selenium toner: Adox 1+4, 1 minute
Sepia toner: DIY two-bath thiourea toner; bleached until the sky more or less disappeared.

Scanned with identical settings and correction for each print, using a color target to get as close as possible to the real prints. Didn't quite manage that, but it's fairly close to the real thing on my screen.

The results are consistent with other papers I've tried so far, although each paper of course responds slightly differently.

Top row: warm tone (left) vs. cool tone developer (right), untoned.
Second row: both in warm tone developer, sepia brown toner only (left) and sepia yellow followed by selenium (right)
Third row: warm tone developer and sepia yellow followed by selenium (left), cool tone developer and identical toning (right)
Bottom row: warm tone developer and sepia brown followed by selenium (left), cool tone developer and identical toning (right)

http://www.koraks.nl/galleries/prints/toning_tests/cGrid.jpg