PDA

View Full Version : Comparing the 135/4.7 Xenar and various 135/5.6 lenses

Bipin
22-Jul-2018, 16:16
I've been looking at a small 135mm lens to complement my current lineup of Technika V lenses. I shoot 4x5 every now and then with this camera, though 6x12 panoramas most often. I've been looking at the 135mm f/4.7 Xenar for it's speed and with the assumption I'll at least get a little bit of movement on 6x12. My current understanding is this: That the Xenar, while of a single-coated tessar design, has good sharpness in the center of the frame even when shot wide open. More modern lenses such as Fuji, Rodenstock, Nikon and Schneider's f/5.6 offerings are of a Plasmat design. Despite multicoating, I've read that a Plasmat would not perform as well as the Xenar when used wide-open. However, the Plasmat offers significantly more coverage than the Xenar, and excels when stopped down.

Basically, my question comes down to this: I plan on using whichever 135mm lens I chose wide open. Is the Xenar is a poorer performer wide open than a modern Plasmat design of the same focal length? If a Xenar likely won't outperform the Plasmat offerings, I may as well go with a modern lens that is somewhat slower, but provides greater coverage. Some advice regarding my question, and the validity of what I've read online so far, would be very helpful!

Greg
22-Jul-2018, 16:43
So you plan on shooting wide open... Suggest you look around for a 135mm f/4.5 Schneider Xenar or a 135mm f/3.8 Schneider Xenar. Seems like most people are focused to only go after a 135mm f/3.5 Schneider Xenar, when the two previous optics offer very similar Bokeh for the 4x5 format at way lower prices.

LabRat
22-Jul-2018, 17:16
There's other Tessar type lenses for cheap to try, first, there's CZ Tessars, Wolly Optars, Ektars, etc... Yes, try to use the center area, but not totally horrible off axis... These have a older world look than modern lenses, and cheap enough to try...

Get a 150mm if you want a bigger IC...

Have fun!!!

Steve K

Bipin
22-Jul-2018, 17:26
So you plan on shooting wide open... Suggest you look around for a 135mm f/4.5 Schneider Xenar or a 135mm f/3.8 Schneider Xenar. Seems like most people are focused to only go after a 135mm f/3.5 Schneider Xenar, when the two previous optics offer very similar Bokeh for the 4x5 format at way lower prices.

I'll keep an eye out - thanks! :)

There's other Tessar type lenses for cheap to try, first, there's CZ Tessars, Wolly Optars, Ektars, etc... Yes, try to use the center area, but not totally horrible off axis... These have a older world look than modern lenses, and cheap enough to try...

Get a 150mm if you want a bigger IC...

Have fun!!!

Steve K

The 150mm focal length has never been my style - not quite long enough, not quite wide enough for my taste, but I'll look at the CZ/Wollensaks/Kodaks in 135 - are any better for colour work than others?

Bob Salomon
22-Jul-2018, 17:33
The 4.7 and 4.5 Xenar cover 161mm at infinity at f16 per Schneider. It is doubtful that it cover 45 wide open at infinity.

Greg
23-Jul-2018, 16:29
The 4.7 and 4.5 Xenar cover 161mm at infinity at f16 per Schneider. It is doubtful that it cover 45 wide open at infinity.

You are quite correct Bob. The Xenar I used... the image did cover my 4x5 negative but the corners were not all that sharp, but I viewed it as positive Bokeh.