PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Getting Developer Streaks on Silver Gelatin Prints?

LFLarry
22-Jul-2018, 10:05
Hi, I started making some bigger 20x24 and 30x40 silver gelatin prints and I started getting some streaking and odd looking stains that I have not seen when I make smaller prints. I am using Dektol as my developer. I mix up fresh developer for every printing session, so it doesn't appear to be anything like old developer or anything like that. Looks to be a technique issue on my part.

I must not be doing something right, so your input is appreciated.

Here is what I have tried so far with mixed results.

1 - Lay down the print in the dry tray and pour the developer over it and then rock the tray to keep the developer moving around.

2 - Pool the developer on one end of the tray and let it wash back over the print after I lay the exposed print in the tray. That is pretty difficult with 30x40 prints.

3 - I tried a small thick nap paint roller too.

Any advice on how to get consistently good results and avoid these odd staining issues with these bigger prints?

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Jim Jones
22-Jul-2018, 15:50
I'm going to suggest something I've never tried with paper: a water bath immediately before developing. With film a water bath was sometimes absolutely necessary when using fast-working developer and short developing times in trays. An example was Tech Pan developed in Solarol for solarized negatives. Another example was sheet film developed in Dektol for high contrast.

John Olsen
22-Jul-2018, 16:01
Instead of a tray, I've used a window planter filled with 3 gals of Dektol 1:2. I roll the paper up loosely and dunk it all at one time, rolling it around in the solution. It's a mess and fills the room with fumes - ugh - but it seems to work.

Jim's idea of a prewet sounds interesting.

Gary Beasley
22-Jul-2018, 16:57
When I do prints I have enough developer to float the print, and push it in face down quickly and rock it a good thirty seconds before flipping it over. I learned this processing 18x25 lithographic film from the process camera at the newspaper I worked at. Any hesitation in completely covering the film or paper in an even manner will do bad things to the image

LFLarry
22-Jul-2018, 18:02
Hi Jim, I just tried your suggestion and I found something very interesting... I pre-soaked the exposed print for 3 minutes and then moved it into the Dektol developer. It basically was VERY slow to develop (I stopped after 12 minutes) and then I went ahead and fixed it to look at it. It wasn't fully developed.

I then developed a new print right behind that without pre-soaking it and it developed as expected in about 2 minutes which validates there was nothing wrong with my developer.

I have to assume the paper gets saturated with the water and the emulsion becomes less sensitive to the developer. I would have never guessed that, but that appears to be what happens... This is a bummer, but I learned something new today!

I'm going to suggest something I've never tried with paper: a water bath immediately before developing. With film a water bath was sometimes absolutely necessary when using fast-working developer and short developing times in trays. An example was Tech Pan developed in Solarol for solarized negatives. Another example was sheet film developed in Dektol for high contrast.

LFLarry
22-Jul-2018, 18:05
Good info Gary. I had thought about this, but wasn't sure how practical it may be with the bigger 30x40 prints. I am going to print more this coming week, so I will give that a try and see how it works on a practical level. It does sound like it could be a really good way to get developer on the entire print very quickly and evenly. I will loop back later in the week and let you know how that works out.

When I do prints I have enough developer to float the print, and push it in face down quickly and rock it a good thirty seconds before flipping it over. I learned this processing 18x25 lithographic film from the process camera at the newspaper I worked at. Any hesitation in completely covering the film or paper in an even manner will do bad things to the image

LFLarry
22-Jul-2018, 18:08
Good idea John. I need to do some research to figure out how to properly do trough development. I have been thinking about this, just no clue how to really do it correctly. But, I like the idea and this could be a space saver in the darkroom over having the huge trays.

Instead of a tray, I've used a window planter filled with 3 gals of Dektol 1:2. I roll the paper up loosely and dunk it all at one time, rolling it around in the solution. It's a mess and fills the room with fumes - ugh - but it seems to work.

Jim's idea of a prewet sounds interesting.

Vaughn
22-Jul-2018, 18:13
Brush develop with a large hake brush or something similar?

Willie
22-Jul-2018, 18:16
Maybe more dilute developer and longer time for full development? Any temperature changes between prints - as in some have more of a problem than others?

Could part of the problem be with dumping the developer and getting the stop bath on the emulsion quickly and evenly?