PDA

View Full Version : CAMBO WIDE with Schneider 47mm 5.6 SA

firstlightimages
20-Jul-2018, 14:59
Hello everyone,

A newbie to the forum, but not to LF photography. My apologies in advance if this thread is in the wrong area, etc.

I own a Linhof Tech V, but due to recent back surgery, I have been advised that lugging it around is no longer going to be an option and it will most likely be sold. So rather than give up on LF entirely, I recently purchased a very nice Cambo Wide (Calumet sold them for a while), with a Schneider 47mm 5.6 SA lens (not the XL version). Since these cameras are basically metal frames with a lens board on one side and a roll film or sheet film back mounted on the other, the weight savings is substantial and (I hope) will still allow me to continue to shoot 4x5 and if not, possibly 6x12 with a RF back. I don't know if the non XL 47mm lens will cover 4x5, so advice on that would be appreciated. I never used a lot of movements anyway, so the Cambo lack of movements won't be a huge sacrifice.

Does anyone out there have any experience with the Cambo cameras...good, bad or ugly. You won't hurt my ego, since anything purchased can always be sold and replaced. One question I have in particular is...am I going to need a center filter with this lens? And if so, are they still available used through Schneider or another vendor?
Many thanks!

Wayne

Bob Salomon
20-Jul-2018, 15:14
The reason that Calumet sold them is that Calumet owned the Cambo factory for many years.

The XL covers 45.

firstlightimages
20-Jul-2018, 21:04
The reason that Calumet sold them is that Calumet owned the Cambo factory for many years.

The XL covers 45.

Thanks Bob....I didn't know the connection. But at least I now have an answer that my non XL 47mm SA won't cover 4x5...which for me, renders it pretty much useless. A pity, the camera and lens are both in mint condition. I think the seller will accept it back with a restock fee.

I love my Linhof and have it cammed for a Schneider 110SS/XL and a Schneider 150. I hope to keep it, as it's a mechanical marvel. However, lifting anything over 15 lbs is forbidden, so I think it's a moot point. Life's a journey...we adapt and move on.

Cheers,

Wayne

Pere Casals
21-Jul-2018, 03:12
Hello Wayne,

A Wide is a way more refined piece of gear, anyway if you are used to the Linhof Tech V refinements... this is something not easy to match, luxury is luxury !

firstlightimages
21-Jul-2018, 23:09
Hello Wayne,

A Wide is a way more refined piece of gear, anyway if you are used to the Linhof Tech V refinements... this is something not easy to match, luxury is luxury !

Hi Pere,

Thanks for your reply.

Just to clear something up, I'm not used to the luxuries of a Linhof. Right after I acquired it, my back was injured and I've barely had a chance to use it. Since then, I've been shooting only MF, to work around the weight problems. So I apologize if my comments about the Wide being very basic were taken in the wrong context.

I'm hoping to learn more about the Cambo Wide system, so anything you could add about Cambo systems you've used, lenses, etc. would be much appreciated. It appears the 47mm lens I currently own will not cover a 4x5, so I have the option of either keeping it and using it with a roll film back, or returning it. I studied the lens focusing system today and it is indeed, quite amazing. The helicoid lens focusing, when used with the correct viewer, makes for a quick and very effective system. I quickly discovered two things about the system I bought...the 47mm is not the XL version I needed and viewers for this particular lens are extinct. I found out today that I can swap out the system I have for a Cambo with the 58mm/5.6XL (which also has a the correct viewer for sale). My understanding was that the 47mm XL was the sharpest lens to get, but perhaps the 58mm XL with the viewer would be a good substitute? Thoughts on that would be appreciated.

I realize that comments about using RF backs are probably heresy on this forum, but I do like the 2:1 aspect ratio using a 6x12 back, the much lighter weight of the overall system and the fact that the simplicity of the system might enable me to continue to enjoy my hobby.

Pere Casals
22-Jul-2018, 02:33

Here you have a nice article about the wide:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/calumet/cambo-wide.html

the luxuries of a Linhof.

Recently I had in my hands a 5x7 one, and had the opportunity to see how well made it was... very well designed and manufactured, this is a superb piece of gear !

As always, of course this is not related to the quality of the photographs taken, but I understood why Pros wanted one.

keeping it and using it with a roll film back, or returning it.

Here you have a good review about the 47s: https://kenrockwell.com/schneider/47xl.htm

You have a 3rd choice, if wanting panoramic images with the 47 you can shot 2x5" with the non XL, you get two shots in one sheet, you can do that with a modified darkslide:

As Vaughn explains here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?146916-4x5-with-4x10-camera&p=1452084&viewfull=1#post1452084

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=180217&d=1521587923

In that way you don't need to carry the MF back, and same film folders can be shot with a 90mm in 4x5" or with the 47mm in 2x5", you just need to carry a modified darkslide.

But remember that with a 47mm you have plenty of fall off in the corners that perhaps it may require a center filter. https://kenrockwell.com/tech/center-filters.htm

Do you want to shot that wide? A lot of times or sometimes only?

the much lighter weight of the overall system and the fact that the simplicity of the system might enable me to continue to enjoy my hobby.

For extreme low weight there is the Wanderlust Travelwide https://wanderlustcameras.com/ 275g for the body

In the light weight arena there is also the Intrepid 4x5 at 1.2kg (the Cambo Wide is a 50% more weight): https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/

... and the Chamonix 45, at 1500 or 1600grs, http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/45.html

IMHO, the Wide is a refined piece or gear, a very specialized Pro choice, but lacking movements it would not be suitable for longer LF lenses. The Wanderlust Trevelwide is really low weight , but it is designed for 90mm, you may ask the manufacturer if other lenses can be used.

So with the Cambo Wide you can sell the 47 and buy a 47xl, or shot 2x5" with a modified darkslide, or shot 6x12cm. The 6x12 cm is a very good choice if you shot velvia, because the velvia sheets are x2 more expensive (per surface) compared with 120 rolls, Velvia 120 rolls are very cheap compared, and easier to develop, not all labs develop color sheets.

EdSawyer
22-Jul-2018, 08:40
I'd swap for the one with the 58XL. It's still VERY wide, almost too wide (as is the 47XL), and should work fine for what you mentioned. You will want a center filter, yes. Probably the IIIC but Schneider has the info on their website.

The cambo wide is a great setup, I have two with 47xl, 65 SA and Nikkor 90/8 lenses, the 47xl is probably the hardest of the 3 to use for various reasons.

-Ed

firstlightimages
22-Jul-2018, 17:49
I'd swap for the one with the 58XL. It's still VERY wide, almost too wide (as is the 47XL), and should work fine for what you mentioned. You will want a center filter, yes. Probably the IIIC but Schneider has the info on their website.

The cambo wide is a great setup, I have two with 47xl, 65 SA and Nikkor 90/8 lenses, the 47xl is probably the hardest of the 3 to use for various reasons.

-Ed

Thanks for the info Ed. Much appreciated. I think I'll swap out the 47 for either the 58 or the 65. Both are priced the same,however the 58 is an XL and the 65 is not. Stay tuned, I'll post an update.

Cheers,

Wayne

firstlightimages
22-Jul-2018, 17:53
Hi Pere,

Very interesting information about the Wanderlust Cameras and modifying the dark slides. I'm going to return the 47...just too many negatives to deal with at this time and swap it out for either the 58 or 65 version. Same prices. since I shoot mainly black and white, I think I can live with the corner light falloff.

I'll post an update later this week. many thanks!

Wayne

Bob Salomon
22-Jul-2018, 17:56
Hi Pere,

Very interesting information about the Wanderlust Cameras and modifying the dark slides. I'm going to return the 47...just too many negatives to deal with at this time and swap it out for either the 58 or 65 version. Same prices. since I shoot mainly black and white, I think I can live with the corner light falloff.

I'll post an update later this week. many thanks!

Wayne
Why not also look for the 55mm 4.5 Apo Grandagon?

It isn’t corner fall off. Fall off starts about ⅓ rd out from the center.

Corran
22-Jul-2018, 18:35
I have a Mercury 3D-printed camera that I shoot with a 47mm XL. It is perhaps 8 ounces with no lens. The maker can send you the proper setup - just add a lens.

The 47mm XL is a specialty lens and is very wide, as I am sure you know. But be sure that's what you want. You can also configure a Mercury with a 90mm of some sort if you want a more typical wide-angle. You can build a system any way you like and it will be super lightweight.

Here is an image I made with this setup a few days ago:

http://www.garrisaudiovisual.com/photosharing/gulfshores-0605ss.jpg

And I also use the camera with a Horseman 6x12 back, sometimes along with a 38mm XL lens for an even wider horizontal view:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3pVGwx3wFWw/WspR0KXowyI/AAAAAAAAMfQ/-cXT8SHI-cg1qwJHtq6bwfyl6cqZa2gbQCLcBGAs/s750/fortmtn-8315s.jpg

I highly recommend them if you are looking for low weight. I am sure the Cambo is "nicer" in some way but...it's just a light-tight box. No need for a lot of complexity with a point-and-shoot ultrawide IMO.

More info on the Mercury here:
http://mercurycamera.com/

By the way - I really don't recommend using half darkslides for panoramas with ultrawide lenses. The problem is that you are using the lens with 2 inches of rise or fall that way. There is no way to "center" the lens on a panorama because movements are extremely limited with such compressed bellows (or impossible on a rigid camera obviously). Perhaps there will be a small number of photos that this is good (architecture) but it is extremely frustrating for most photos. I know because I've done it, on 8x10, and if I want to use my 120mm it never works because of this issue. Otherwise my trees/landscape is all skewed from distortions caused by the rise/fall.

EdSawyer
23-Jul-2018, 06:24
Corran the Cambo Wide has about 20mm or so of rise/fall/shift. Maybe more - I forget offhand, so you could address some of the centering re: split darkslides. But, I agree, I only shoot with normal film holders (roll film or sheet film).

re: 58 vs 65 - the XL doesn't really matter much (there's no 58 non-XL at least not in modern times that I know of) - they both cover 4x5. Frankly I find the 65 plenty wide for nearly anything, I don't use the 47 all that much, its just SO WIDE that it can be tough to compose with. For the 47 (and 58, and 65 even) having a strong foreground element helps a lot, otherwise the overall width makes everything look so far away with a ton of ground and sky in the frame. Having something in the foreground helps mitigate that.

Corran
23-Jul-2018, 18:57
Didn't realize that Ed, thanks. 20mm rise/fall would counteract the offset from a split darkslide.

I have been shooting extensively with the 47XL today. I certainly understand the feeling of it being "too wide" but on the other hand, it's a unique tool!

EdSawyer
24-Jul-2018, 05:59
It's definitely unique, and I like mine and won't get rid of it, but it's not really a general purpose wide in the way that most people think of wide-angles. E.g. I wouldn't recommend it as a first step in wide-angle LF. Much easier to start with a 90 or 65 and see how that goes, and then if needed, go to the extreme of the 47.