PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning Linhof Master Technika bellows

Embdude
17-Jul-2018, 12:11
I have a 1972 master technika with fine bellows aside from a little dust, which i generally brush off with a soft paintbrush.

I have seen many newer than mine with cracked and crazed bellows. I don't wish this to happen to mine so I ask if there is anything I can do to condition or clean them which will keep them in top shape?

I dont think mine are leather like older models and I am worried that if i use the wrong conditioning method it will result in the crazing and cracking I have seen on others...

Thanks

Bob Salomon
17-Jul-2018, 12:46
If you are in the US call Bob Watkins at Precision in Skokie, IL and get the correct factory answer.

Embdude
17-Jul-2018, 12:57
Thanks!

Embdude
8-Dec-2018, 23:50
Here is what I have found out so far...

Response from Precision Camera:

There is a lot of information online, here ( http://cameracollector.proboards.com/thread/2305/caring-bellows ) is a thread we found where someone poses the question of cleaning the bellows. They suggested venetian cream through Micro-Tools, but it appears that they no longer carry it. However, it is available online through Amazon and multiple other online stores.

I also wrote Linhof HQ and received the following information:

A Technika bellows of this type (leatherette) has usually a life cycle of between 8 and 15 years, depending on fequency of use as well as solar radiation. The best for the bellows is using it. The bellows should never be treated with fat wax or paraffin.

It was noted that foams or other material including plasticizers may damage the bellows when stored together.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards,

LabRat
9-Dec-2018, 04:42
With vinyl based bellows, I have seen them dry up or get sticky as the plasticizers leave or migrate... I did research vinyl restoration as people collect dolls, portable radios, purses, clothing etc, and what is generally used is mink oil shoe perservative... The mink oil penetrates replacing lost plasticizers making it softer again, but also contains silicone which will cap the surface, but will make it harder later to bond anything to repair it in the future, but by then they will just need replacing...

I have used this many times for dry bellows on SG'S and it worked well... I have also done repairs on sticky bellows that were turning bad, and after cleaning the excess sticky surface with detergent or mild solvent to remove the tacky feel, then applied the mink oil, it was like normal again if not too far gone...

Apply a hidden test area first, then gently rub a very thin layer on, then buff it out with a soft cloth until almost gone... It will look attractive and protect it... But just a thin layer...

You can buy it in the shoe care aisle...

Steve K

Embdude
20-Jul-2019, 01:15
Thanks

LaurenaCamb
11-Jun-2021, 07:06
It's not that hard . Try to create the right air temperature . In order to keep it in good condition, you need the right air conditioner. It is also very important that the air conditioner is fully functional. This will help the air conditioning repair service (https://www.airconservicingsingapore.com/). I always use it when I feel something is wrong. It often happens that the filter of air conditioners gets dirty. I don't think you can clean it yourself. It is better to entrust this matter to professionals. About 1-2 times a year, you need to wash and clean the air conditioner filter, your breath and the air in your home or office depend on it.