PDA

View Full Version : How to rate this expired film?

seandavid
14-Jul-2018, 19:48
Hi all,

I'm going to shoot my girlfriend's grandfathers collection of insanity in his basement tomorrow, and wanted to try shooting some color film I've purchased previously, but have never used.

Just wondering (as I've yet to shoot any color film, especially the slide film) how I should rate this film for proper exposure?

Kodak Ektachrome E100VS expired in 2010

Velvia 50 Expired 1992

Fuji 160 NPL 160 Expired 2001

Apparently all the film has been cold stored since new.

Any advice is much appreciated. Maybe some of these options are better than others for interior shots?

Thanks

Light Guru
14-Jul-2018, 22:28
With slide film exposure really needs to be spot on for the image to turn out well.

You said it’s in a basement? How good is that he lighting in the basement? This may not be a good place for shooting slide film film or any film.

Now I LOVE film but in poorly lit conditions you may need an ISO faster then you can push film with good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

koraks
15-Jul-2018, 00:48
If it's cold stored, it may still be at its original speed. I hold a little less hope for the velvia though. Take reciprocity failure into account and prepare for some color shift as a result.

Jim Noel
15-Jul-2018, 09:50
You should test the film prior to using it for the project. Since you don't have time to test, buy fresh film with which you are familiar or take a chance on making poor images and losing a girl friend.

seandavid
15-Jul-2018, 18:13
Thanks for you replies.

I ended up just playing it safe(r) and just shot some black and white. And thanks, Jim... I'll be on pins and needles of the fate of my relationship until I develop these!