PDA

View Full Version : Sagging Bellows?

LFLarry
13-Jul-2018, 20:25
Hi, I am new to the forum.

I have been using my 8x10 camera for a few years now and I am noticing that the bellows are dipping down and interfering with my optical path.

What are some of the things that you are doing to manage this?

Thanks

Larry

Bernice Loui
13-Jul-2018, 20:55
Used a empty 12 oz aluminum can between the rail and bellows to prop up the sagging Sinar 8x10 bellows. That was some two decades ago..

Bernice

Vaughn
13-Jul-2018, 21:02
With what focal lengths does the sagging become a problem? Close-ups, portraits or landscapes?

Bruce Barlow
14-Jul-2018, 04:08
Take one of those medium-sized office clips for clipping lots of paper. Thread a rubber band onto one of the silver metal "handles." Clip the clip onto a top fold about the middle of the bellows, and stretch the rubber band over one of the front standards. That will pull and compress the bellows, and take out the sag. You may have to adjust where the clip goes based on how extended your bellows re, and how stretchy your rubber band is.

I can store mine on the horizontal rod at the base of the front standard so I always have it. I find that I have to replace the rubber band fairly often, since it seems to dry out and lose stretch, breaking precisely when I don't want it to.

The can, or anything similar, also works well.

LFLarry
14-Jul-2018, 04:11
That's a great idea! I didn't think of going at the problem from below the bellows...

Thanks!

LFLarry
14-Jul-2018, 04:13
Hi Vaughn, what I am seeing is when I extend the bellows for like 1:1 macros (2x focal length), I am getting either a dark shadow or I can actually see the edge of the bellows on the top of the ground glass.

Larry

LFLarry
14-Jul-2018, 04:15
Hi Bruce, excellent description and idea... I have some of those clips in my office and I will go get a few of those right now along with some rubber bands and put them with my gear!

I like this idea because it is small and I can have several as backups in my bag without taking up much space.

Larry

mdarnton
14-Jul-2018, 05:39
I use a kodak projector lens as a loupe, and when I'm not focusing, I stash it under the bellows to elevate the middle of the bellows.

Leigh
14-Jul-2018, 06:48
Hi Bruce, excellent description and idea... I have some of those clips in my office...I recommend some precauions if you choose to use binder clips...

The sharp edges can cut into the bellows material.
It tapers from the apex of each fold, so it's not flat in that area.

If you do choose to use them, put thick rubber under each side to protect the material.
-----
The factory-installed solution I've seen is a metal ring with a leather flap glued to the bellows.
A metal rod extends from the front standard to the rear frame through that ring.

- Leigh

Bruce Barlow
14-Jul-2018, 07:37
"The factory-installed solution I've seen is a metal ring with a leather flap glued to the bellows.
A metal rod extends from the front standard to the rear frame through that ring. "

I think my friend Richard Ritter does that on some of his cameras.

I've never had the problem of the clip cutting the material, but it's good advice.