PDA

View Full Version : New Deardorff 5X7 back, doesn't quite fit in one corner pin

Robert Langham
11-Jul-2018, 09:06
Great response to help me replace crashed back for my Deardorff 5X7. Got another one in that looks nearly new. Very nice. But it doesn't quite fit. One pin on one corner won't click over. Should I try bending Pin? Anyone with some expertise share a little of it?

Thanks!

Luis-F-S
11-Jul-2018, 10:19
If you can file the pin a bit, it should fit. You can also rotate the pin in it's hole if necessary. Good luck!

chuck461
11-Jul-2018, 13:42
Mine's the same. It's never caused a problem, although I'd love to know of a good fix. Bending the pin doesn't seem like it would work. Maybe filing the socket.

RichardRitter
11-Jul-2018, 17:19
Loosen the screws and try adjusting the bracket.

Bending the pin will most likely break the wood.

Jac@stafford.net
11-Jul-2018, 19:32
First try fitting the back rotated 180 degrees. Not likely to work.

If gently adjusting the brace screws does not quite work, a round needle file might work. If the pin is very close to closing, just chase the hole a bit at a time until the pin snaps in.
If both adjustments do not work, you got a messed-up back - return it.

Keith Pitman
11-Jul-2018, 20:49
Or, is it close enough that you could rotate the pin 180 degrees and have it fit?

John Kasaian
25-Jul-2018, 20:04
If all else fails, take out the pin, fill the hole and reinstall in a new hole where it will work correctly.
May the ghost of Laban Deardorff be watching over your shoulder.

Luis-F-S
26-Jul-2018, 06:08
Did you try to file the pin on one side till it fits? Usually that is all that's needed. I'd sure try that before drilling a new hole. L