PDA

View Full Version : Early Zone VI Field Camera

Dan Deary
3-Jul-2018, 16:42
I have posted on this camera years ago in other forums and got different opinions as to the original Japanese maker of this very light field camera. I was finally convinced it was a Tachihara after seeing identical Tachiharas on auction sites. However now I see older Wistas on the auction site that also look identical to mine as well. In an old post somewhere a poster stated that in the end of the 70’s Tachihara and Wista cameras were made by the same craftsman and the cameras were badged for different exporters. Another poster speculated that Wista just took Tachiharas in a business arrangement and just rebadged the cameras as Wista. This was known as the Field 45.

Here is a description of my Zone VI camera that was sold in the late 70’s or early 80’s. The label reads ”Zone VI Studios, Inc. Newfane, VT 05345” on the left rail. All struts and knobs are chrome including a thin latch for closing. It has brass joiners on all the corners. The wood is cherry. It has self setting rise and fall, front and rear swings, and front and rear tilts. There is no back focus. It also has no shift capability. It has 12 inch bellows extension. It has a freznel /groundglass combo with “Wista” labled in the lower left corner. It weighs just 3.3 lbs. What is different on my camera is a circular bubble level on top of the camera. That may have been added by the previous owner but it looks to me this may have been mounted in Japan or at Zone VI.

The story about the early Zone VI cameras is that Fred Picker was not entirely satisfied with the original Japanese camera and that he modified the base and tripod mount to make it stronger as well as a few minor modifications. For the life of me I cannot see any modifications on my camera, except the bubble level, based on the pictures of early Wista and Tachihara Field 45’s. The base of mine has a 4 1/2 in square metal plate with two tripod holes, just like the other cameras. For what it’s worth there is a faint #13 stamped on the base when rail is racked out(one of the first models sold?)

So unless someone out there is more knowledgable and can provide more insight I have to conclude my particular Zone VI model is the same as the Tachihara’s and Wista’s Field 45. In an old Zone VI Worksop book this camera sold for $325 in 1978. They can be bought now on ebay for $500 to $600. I would not pay much more unless it were in absolutely mint condition. Many of them on auction sites go for a lot more, even 3 times more because of the Zone VI association. These are not to be confused with later and more refined(and heavier) Zone VI cameras like the Zone VI Wisner and Classic models. Still it’s a pretty good camera and while I don’t use large format exclusively I am quite pleased with this model.

Alan9940
3-Jul-2018, 21:05
Dan, I have this very camera bought as part of a LF outfit sold by Zone VI. I bought it in 1979 and still use it to this day. It has never failed me! I will never part with it.

Back in the day, Fred was pretty emphatic that his 4x5 was not a Tachihara; though it certainly could have been mixed up in the company transitions of the day and I vividly remember several folks referring to it as a Field 45. Personally, I don't really care what it's exact vintage is cuz it's a great camera that has served me well for nearly 40 years.

The bubble level on your camera looks exactly like the ones on the Zone VI tripods. I remember that Fred sold a pair of small rectangular bubble levels; I have them on my camera. My guess is that some previous owner just took one of the tripod levels off and put it on your camera.

Anyway, have fun with it and make some great images!

Mark Sampson
3-Jul-2018, 22:48
That looks very similar to the Tachihara that I bought new in 1982. It was my first 4x5, a fine camera that I used hard for ten years. I added the same bubble level myself.
The Wistas that I have seen are similar, but not identical to yours.

Anecdote: In 1989 I went to the Maine Photo Workshop to take a course on "Architectural Exteriors" with Norman McGrath. Most of the other attendees were working architecture shooters with Sinars, Linhofs, Horsemans, etc. (Norman used a Sinar-F.) There were adverse comments about my 'toy' camera, obsolete wide-angle lens, and inadequate tripod. Every morning we would compare our overnight-processed chromes... having photographed the same subject the day before. One morning it turned out that I had found the best view of the previous day's subject, which no one else had seen. Mr. McGrath's comment was "This shows that you don't need state-of-the-art equipment to do a great job." A proud moment for me... and a vindication for my featherweight camera.

Keep enjoying yours... I wish I'd kept mine.

Dan Deary
4-Jul-2018, 06:13
Alan, you are right about the bubble level as the same on the Zone VI tripod. I never saw the similarity after all these years. It could be Zone VI still put it on the camera though. If Fred Picker was disparaging Tachiharas, that puzzles me. I have a photo copy of a Camera 35 January of 1978 article(see attachment) that I am sure was sent to me from Zone VI as I subscribed to his newsletters for many years and bought some of his items. I am positive I got this well before I got the camera( aprox 18 yrs ago second hand.) As you can see inscribed at the bottom "Review of the Zone VI Field Camera". The article is all about Tachiharas and how they are made; no mention of Wista.

Glad to see that there are several of us that appreciate this fine light camera.

Alan9940
4-Jul-2018, 07:31
Dan, you could very well be correct. I'm only passing on stuff I heard over the years. I attended Fred's workshop in VT in 1979, trekked up to VT many times over the years between 1979 - 1982 to see Fred and show him my new work, moved to VT in 1982 and lived not too far from him; I visited fairly often. At one point, we had a discussion about my being his "assistant" in that I'd load film holders, clean the darkroom, etc, etc. Anyway, I remember him lamenting poorly on Tachihara's at the time because he felt they were poorly made; Wista's, on the other hand, were decent cameras in his view. Perhaps, it was all just a marketing thing (Fred was a keen business man, after all) and his early 4x5 is more akin to the Tachihara. However, with all that said, I still think it's a great camera that I have used to expose thousands of sheets of film.

Doremus Scudder
4-Jul-2018, 10:51
I have a downloaded article about the history of Zone VI cameras, which purportedly relies on information from Richard Ritter, Zone VI camera designer and partner of Fred Picker. It's a bit long to cut and paste, so I'll summarize:

"1. 1978-1980 Tachihara (Made in Japan) These were the very first Zone VI Cameras. This camera was cherry wood and Nickel-plated metal. This camera had a 12 inch extension rail and bellows were glued to the front standard.

2. 1980-1985 Wista ( Made in Japan) The second Zone VI Camera. The Wista was sold with a modified tripod socket bottom plate by Fred Picker and Zone VI. This version is claimed by some to be a better built camera then the Tachihara and not as heavy as the Wisner version. The Wista version was sold in the1980s. It also had a 12 inch extension rail. [The Zone VI Wista was likely a DXII, i.e., no shift, with slight modifications.]

3. 1986-1988 “Wisner” Zone VI (Made in the USA) The Third Zone VI Camera "Built by Wisner Classic Mfg. Co., for Zone VI Studios." [This last quote is on a plate on the camera.] This camera offered a longer bellows and the use of an optional Bag Bellows. It also featured a 16 inch extension rail so the bellows was 4 inches longer than the previous models and allowed the use of a longer lens. This version of the Zone VI camera was built by Ron Wisner. Ron Wisner and Fred Picker parted company after 100-150 cameras were made, which brings us to the next evolution in the production and history of the Zone VI Camera.

4. 1988- Zone VI “Made by Zone VI Studios Newfane Vermont, USA.” [This last quote is on the camera nameplate.] The Fourth Zone VI Camera.
According to Richard Ritter, this is the only camera that can truly be called the Zone VI. This is the camera that Fred Picker and Zone VI Studio's produced just outside of Newfane Vermont. There were a couple of versions of this camera, adding features and gold-plating, etc. According to Richard Ritter, just over 4500 of these cameras in all versions were produced. Serial numbers were stamped in the top (inside) of the brass/gold-plated tripod mounting plate below the bellows. See highlighted text below for features timeline. This version of the Zone VI camera was sold made in Honduras mahogany, American black walnut, or American cherry.
This version of the camera featured a 22 inch Bellows (6 inches longer than the Wisner Version and 10 inches longer than the Tachihara and Wista). It had an optional bag bellows designed for 90mm or wider lenses. There are a couple of versions of the bag bellows as well. There appears to be two mounting systems, one with pins and one without. Cameras with serial numbers after at least 1978 had the no-pin mounting system. After around 1991 the cameras received gold-plated hardware. There were about 1800 of these cameras made with gold-plated hardware and their Serial numbers are in the 3000-4000 range. The bail back was added in early 1990. I

5. 1991-ca.2001 or a bit later: Zone VI. Sold by Calumet after the company was bought from Fred Picker.
Calumet bought Zone VI, and sold out the existing inventory and dropped the Walnut and American Cherry Versions. [This should be the Ritter version, but I’m not sure.]

6. 2001- ~2010: Zone VI Ultra-Light Sold by Calumet
Calumet produced Zone VI cameras using black anodized aluminum hardware and only sold camera in mahogany. This camera became the Zone VI Ultra-Light."

Hope this helps,

Doremus

Dan Deary
4-Jul-2018, 12:01
Doremus thank you for your input but now I have more questions. The 1978-80 version you cited had bellows glued to the front standard. Pardon my ignorance but aren't all bellows glued to front standards in field cameras? You also cited the metal was nickel plated. Does the chrome struts and hardware that I have mean the the same thing? Also the improved 1980-85 version had a modification of the tripod bottom plate. Is that the same two hole 4.5 in square flat plate that I have? I realize you are basing your information on the one article and may not know the answers to all my questions. I am just trying to narrow down which of the 1st two versions I have.

Bruce Barlow
4-Jul-2018, 12:44
Dan - the Zone VI camera has bellows glued to square plastic frames which clip to the front. That way, you can swap them out for bag bellows. I know this because I spent many late nights gluing bellows to frames with contact cement, getting high and killing brain cells. Explains much, methinks.

Dan Deary
4-Jul-2018, 12:58
Ok, so my camera cannot swap bellows. Can the 2nd version(1980-'85) cited by Doremus do that? If so I would definitely have the 1st version. Sorry about those brain cells but it sounds as though you have enough to get by.

Mark Sampson
4-Jul-2018, 13:19
Dan, v.2 is very similar to yours, and the bellows are fixed. Version 3 through v.6 are the larger design with interchangeable bellows.
I bought a v.4 new in 1992 and am still using it today.

Dan Deary
4-Jul-2018, 13:36
For what its worth I am attaching photo of the tripod mount on my camera. To me it looks the same as other early versions of Tachiharas and Wistas. Is this the tripod mounting plate example of beefing up the base alluded to in Doremus's post?

Dan Deary
4-Jul-2018, 14:16
Just noticed on ebay that a "Wista Camera modified by Zone VI" is up for auction...It is identical in every way to mine except there is a serial # sticker on the side. Its looking more likely, I have version two. And no its not me selling...I am keeping mine.

HMG
4-Jul-2018, 14:24

2. 1980-1985 Wista ( Made in Japan) The second Zone VI Camera. The Wista was sold with a modified tripod socket bottom plate by Fred Picker and Zone VI. This version is claimed by some to be a better built camera then the Tachihara and not as heavy as the Wisner version. The Wista version was sold in the1980s. It also had a 12 inch extension rail. [The Zone VI Wista was likely a DXII, i.e., no shift, with slight modifications.]

My Wista-made Zone VI is stamped "WISTA" on the drop bed. Not sure if all were.

Dan Deary
4-Jul-2018, 14:47
HGM: No mine has no stamp except #13 that is on the bottom frame. There are similarities but yours is prettier with brass fittings and looks more refined.

Alan9940
4-Jul-2018, 15:26
Hmm, I'm still confused... Did the 1978 - 1980 Tachihara have the square metal bottom plate? I ask because I had my new Zone VI 4x5 with me when I attended Fred's workshop in 1979.

Alan9940
4-Jul-2018, 15:29
Dan, the bottom of mine looks exactly like yours.

Dan Deary
4-Jul-2018, 16:10
If Alan's camera is identical to mine he purchased in 1979 even with the same metal baseplate and my camera does not resemble HMG's version 2 it now seems safe to say I have version 1 afterall. I still feel that in those early days Tachihara and Wista were one in the same. I spent my July 4th on this endevor but I did enjoy it and I learned a few things.

HMG
4-Jul-2018, 18:21
If it helps, here's the bottom of my Wista / Zone VI.

scm
4-Jul-2018, 18:36
Yes, the first generation Zone VI and the first generation Wista are rebranded Tachiharas, as are the Calumet Woodfield XM and the Osaka (and probably others). At one time I had all of the variants here at the same time.

https://stevemidgleyphotography.com/_MG_9632x.jpg
First Generation Zone VI

https://stevemidgleyphotography.com/_MG_3777x.jpg
First Generation Wista

The second generation Zone VI was obviously a Wista, they could be either a DX or a DX II and they came in a variety of woods. Wista and Tachihara cameras are pretty similar but the construction is different (finger joints on the Wista) and the locks for the movements are different.

https://stevemidgleyphotography.com/_MG_7724x.jpg
Second Generation Zone VI

Like I said, I've had all of the variations here at the same time and could never see how any of them were modified (or any different in any way) from the same camera from the OEM.

Dan Deary
4-Jul-2018, 18:46
Wow!! I certantly got the final answer now. Thanks to HMG and SCM for the final proof in great pictures. I have been wondering about this camera for many years and I can proudly say I have the 1st generation of the Zone VI Tachihara/Wista Field 45.

Dan Deary
4-Jul-2018, 19:33
I studied the bottom tripod plates of mine and HMG's(his version 2) and the place of the tripod holes is different in that the modified version has a hole dead center and a rear hole closer to the rear edge. 3 more screws as well. It does look a little beefier but I wonder in practicality how much difference it made. How much heavier is the 2nd version?

Mark Sampson
4-Jul-2018, 20:14
FWIW, my '82 Tachihara had a sliding back mechanism, unlike the fixed-back cameras that scm has shown. I'll bet that there were small variations throughout the production life of all these cameras.

Alan9940
4-Jul-2018, 21:45
Thanks, SCM. I now know for sure, too, that mine is most definitely a first generation Zone VI; which makes perfect sense given when I bought the outfit. I remember working a second job, at the time, for about six months in order to afford the outfit. Never regretted it and I've made some of my best images with that camera.

Old_Dick
5-Jul-2018, 13:19
Thanks Doremus, Looks like I have "4. 1988- Zone VI “Made by Zone VI Studios Newfane Vermont, USA.”".

I have Fred's video -> DVD on my google cloud account. You need better then DSL to download it. I had a friend upload it for me. 0$

d.s.
14-Jul-2018, 09:07
For more information, there is a write-up in the January/February 2003 edition of View Camera magazine on page 34, written by Richard T. Ritter and titled "The Zone VI Camera The Fred Picker Era."
The article reveals that my camera, is one of the last Honduran Mahogany models, ("numbers began at 1,000 and went to about 4,500."). It has the bale assisted opener back and the gold plated hardware, and 22" bellows, large knobs with aggressive textured knurling. The name plate states: "Made by Zone VI Studios, Newfane, Vt". The serial number stamped on top of the top side of the tripod mount is #4,627, view-able on the top side of the camera base, (under the bellows). I purchased this used a couple of years ago in like new, perfect condition, literately no marks on it anywhere. I use it with appropriate care. It is indeed a well thought out designed and built camera that is a joy to use, tho it really attracts a crowd. I've added a borosilicate ground-glass w/ extra-fine grind and grid lines, made for me by Steve Hopf, which I like much better than the original GG/fresnal combo.

Drew Bedo
16-Jul-2018, 12:11
Hwere is what I know about cameras offered by Zone VI over the years.

Zone VI Camera History

Notes from an article by Richard Ritter in View Camera Magazine, Jan-Feb 2003 issue. later article by Ron Wisner offers a different view of this history.

1970s
Name plate:
“Zone VI”
Made by Tachihara, Japan ,
Cherry wood, chrome plated fittings.
Single focusing rail, 12” bellows extension

Name plate:
“Specially Made for Zone VI”
Made by Wista
Single focusing rail, 12” bellows
Modified by changing to a more robust base plate.

1986 (not in catalog till ’87)
Name plate :
“The Zone VI Classic, Made for Zone VI Studios, Newfane VT
Made by Wisner Classic Mfg. Co., Marion Mass”.
Mahogany and polished brass.
Double focusing rail, Interchangable bellows
<150 units produced by 1988
S/N Range :100-250

1988 : Ron Wisner no longer associated with Zone VI Studios

Name Plate:
“Zone VI, Made By Zone VI Studios, Newfane Vermont USA”
They jobbed-out parts locally and assembled them at the Studio.
+3000 units built
Mahogany wood, Brass fittings. S/N Range: 1,000 - 4,500 (with gaps)

Larger knobs, GG Loading Bail
Walnut and Cherry models (limited run) S/N in 9,000 range

Gold Plated Fittings
1,800 units S/N range :3,000-4,000 .

Calumet bought Zone VI Studios and marketed the same camera. Then changed to black anodized aluminum fittings. Called it the “Lightweight”

Vaughan
15-Aug-2023, 04:43
Here is a description of my Zone VI camera that was sold in the late 70’s or early 80’s... For what it’s worth there is a faint #13 stamped on the base when rail is racked out(one of the first models sold?)

So unless someone out there is more knowledgable and can provide more insight I have to conclude my particular Zone VI model is the same as the Tachihara’s and Wista’s Field 45.

I just purchased a Tachihara "Fiel Stand 45" and except for the ground glass (mine is plain) and the base (only one tripod screw hole) it's identical to the OP's. Most notable is that mine has "15" stamped in the underside of the base.

Drew Bedo
16-Aug-2023, 06:19
Duplicate Post

Rod Klukas
18-Aug-2023, 17:35
Fred,

fudged a lot of info to fit his persona and that of Zone VI. Wista did make cameras that were rebadged after the Tacihara, for Zone VI. The Wista 4x5 never came with silver metal like yours, so yours was definitely manufactured by

Tachihara.

Anything with gold metal is probably rebadged Wista. Also he never wanted the Wista bodies with Shift in the rear, so the rebadged ones will never have shift. You have to use swings on front and rear to create shift. You rarely see a Wista without shift, but you could order it that way.

He stuck with those until he tried to team up with Ron Wisner. That was an explosion of too immense egos that finally blew up. Then Fred tried to recruit furniture makers to build the camera, with disastrous results for the first, about 2 years. Cameras are a lot more precise than furniture. So there are some of those late Wisner/Zone VI cameras around which leave some fit and finish quality to be questioned.

Rod

RichardRitter
19-Aug-2023, 04:43
Fred,

He stuck with those until he tried to team up with Ron Wisner. That was an explosion of too immense egos that finally blew up. Then Fred tried to recruit furniture makers to build the camera, with disastrous results for the first, about 2 years. Cameras are a lot more precise than furniture. So there are some of those late Wisner/Zone VI cameras around which leave some fit and finish quality to be questioned.

Rod

Most of the early made cameras have been burned as fire wood. There were about 100 made.
The bulk of the cameras made you can take camera number 500 and number 750 and number 3000. Take then apart and put back together using parts from the different runs.

I an using a camera that is made from 3 different runs. Part of it is walnut,cherry and mahogany

Mark Tweed
28-Aug-2023, 11:48
I'm coming into this discussion late with everything resolved. But to confirm Dan, you do have a rebadged Wista Field 45. I have one that is mint condition in its original Wista Field 45 blue box with instructions. I bought it as new old stock in a camera store in Jackson Hole in the late 80's or early 90's. Everything about my Wista is identical to your Zone VI including the base plate. The only insignificant difference I noted is the plate the two front rail extensions knobs mount with to the wood side rails; yours has 4 mounting screws and my Wista has 3, two at the bottom with a third centered above. That's it other than the cyclops single bubble level on top, a Zone IV exclusive addition.

And I would confirm that the hardware finish on my Wista is chrome, not nickel. Nickel typically has a 'warmer' tone and in most examples, less reflective.

These are solid, lightweight cameras with smooth movements which lock down securely. Mine has seen almost zero use because I have an equally mint (I refinished it) Nagaoka 4X5, which I prefer because of its thinner, folded profile, allowing it to fit neatly inside a Lowe camera bag plus 5 lenses, a Pentax spot meter (Zone IV modified) with filters and lens hoods that's not much bigger than a 6 pack of beer. The small package makes it suitable for weeklong backcountry trips.