PDA

View Full Version : Foam pad replacement for contact printer

Ulophot
30-Jun-2018, 06:30
Hi, folks. I have a Technal contact printer, one of the steel ones with the hinged glass, which I bought in the early '70s. It's time once again to replace the open-cell foam pad that covers the steel base to press the paper against the negs when the printer is closed. The last time was about 14 years ago, and I recall having found a self-adhesive one. It's about 3/16" thick (or was...). I'd appreciate a recommendation for a supplier.

Thanks.

Tin Can
30-Jun-2018, 07:18
https://www.mcmaster.com/#open-cell-foam/=1did04y

No order too small.

esearing
1-Jul-2018, 03:40
Hobby stores carry sheets of thin stiff foam in a couple of different sizes and a multitude of colors.

Ulophot
1-Jul-2018, 06:51
Hobby stores carry sheets of thin stiff foam in a couple of different sizes and a multitude of colors.

Hi, and thanks to both. The hobby store foam sheets I've seen are only about 1/16" thick; you may have seen something else.

jim10219
1-Jul-2018, 08:52
I replaced mine using a foam air filter from and some contact cement. It was open cell foam of the appropriate thickness that I bought for about $3 from Amazon. Sorry, I can’t remember the exact details because that was a few years ago. But I do remember it being difficult to find the right sized foam until I started looking for foam air filters.

MrFujicaman
1-Jul-2018, 10:07
Try Walmart, Hobby Lobby and Michaels-I've seen it in several sizes .

Drew Wiley
5-Jul-2018, 12:54
Do it right. Go to McMaster and order foam made of pure silicone. They have a huge selection plus tech info at the start of each section. Any cheapo hobby store material is going to get eaten alive by UV; and then you're going to end up with endless little bits of sponge rubber dust getting into and all over your work.

Tin Can
5-Jul-2018, 13:14
Finally, we agree on something.

Must be the heat.

Do it right. Go to McMaster and order foam made of pure silicone. They have a huge selection plus tech info at the start of each section. Any cheapo hobby store material is going to get eaten alive by UV; and then you're going to end up with endless little bits of sponge rubber dust getting into and all over your work.