PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 reducing back for Calumet C-1 8x10 camera

Scott Davis
8-Sep-2005, 10:06
Anyone know if they ever made a 5x7 reducing back to fit the Calumet C-1 camera? I have the 4x5 back for mine, but I'd like to find a 5x7 as well, so I can use the format without having to get ANOTHER camera. If they did, does anyone have one they'd be willing to part with? First preference would be given to a green one, as mine is the Green Monster (magnesium, not aluminum) model.

Mark Sampson
8-Sep-2005, 10:25
Why not ask Calumet? They made your camera and are still in business.

Scott Davis
8-Sep-2005, 10:51
The C-1 has been out of production for over 30 years. Although Calumet still makes a few components for it, (lensboards, replacement knobs, etc) many accessories that were originally available are no longer made, and any magnesium replacement parts are certainly no longer made because they got in trouble the first time around for having magnesium shavings all over their workshop (magnesium in fine powder form is HIGHLY flammable).

Michael Jones
8-Sep-2005, 10:52
The short answer is yes. The long answer is I don't know if they were made in aluminum or magnesium. A black C-1 5x7 reducing back just sold on Ebay for $100. Have you checked to see if a (gasp!) Burke & James reducing back fits? That would be easier to find. Good luck.

Mike

Jerry Flynn
8-Sep-2005, 11:57
I definitely used a green reducing back on a C-1 many years ago, so they do exist.

austin granger
8-Sep-2005, 17:26
I'll second Jerry Flynn's response; I had a green 5x7 back for my old C-1 also.

Ernest Purdum
9-Sep-2005, 08:30
I hope your are able to find the back you are looking for. I think having more than one format available is an excellent way to get the best use of your expensive lenses. (Drastic cropping is another, but it goes against instinct.)

In the event that you cannot find an original Calumet back, it is a fairly easy task for a metal shop to make a plate that will adapt another 5 X 7 back to a C-1. A wooden back would be even easier and less expensive.