PDA

View Full Version : North Georgia Large Format Photographers Group

Corran
23-Jun-2018, 17:57
Hello!

Today some forum members and I had a little meetup...we compared some darkroom prints and photographed at a remote waterfall north of Dahlonega. It was great to hang out with other LF photographers! So we got to talking about forming a dedicated group up here in the north GA region and having regular meetups and trips, and eventually perhaps regular print sharing sessions or even group exhibitions if there was interest and ability.

My thought was to start small with a group on Facebook. I know some here might eschew social media but it is a good venue for global chat/planning. So I would like to invite other LF members in the north GA area to join:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nglfp

This is a work-in-progress so we'll see how things go and evolve from there.

FrancisF
24-Jun-2018, 06:43
Corran,

This sounds like a great idea. Meetups and being in touch locally is so important. While I greatly value this forum (a digital experience) , there is nothing like networking locally (an analog experience). I am a new member of the Midwest Large Format Asylum and have greatly benefited from the efforts of the group that founded this over a decade ago and their friendship.

As you get launched, I wanted to suggest a feature I have found particularly beneficial for the Midwest group - an annual member print show. Not a competition but colleagues getting together informally to share their best work and get useful feedback.

Best wishes on your launch

https://www.facebook.com/groups/275113417230/

Corran
24-Jun-2018, 09:10
Thanks, I will check out your group page and see what we can incorporate! Yes I definitely want to do regular print "showings." I'm hesitant to say "critique" at the moment because I don't envision anything that formal or directed yet, but sharing thoughts and opinions I think is a valuable part of the process. But it wouldn't be a student/mentor relationship which I think of more when I see the word critique.

j.e.simmons
24-Jun-2018, 11:00
We had a large format group in North Florida for about 15-years. It was perfect. No rules, no officers, no dues. We decided on a monthly meeting date - such as third Sunday. We met to shoot in good weather, and to show prints in weather that was too hot or cold. We communicated by email and it worked very well. Unfortunately, most everyone moved away.

esearing
30-Jun-2018, 04:00
Maybe we can invite Mr. Simmons up one weekend as a special guest once we get going. Or we can all go see him in St. Simons and do some coastal shooting.

j.e.simmons
30-Jun-2018, 04:23
Keep me posted. I haven’t been to North Georgia in a long time. Come on down.

JWebb
30-Jun-2018, 10:09
Sounds like a great idea, Maybe it'll get me off my butt to shoot more film.

Image of Christchurch on St Simons.

Corran
30-Jun-2018, 11:44
Great! I will approve your request when I get back home this afternoon.

Corran
30-Jun-2018, 16:28
BTW, nice photo of Christ Church! I haven't been to St. Simons in years. That church and cemetery was always a favorite!

JWebb
30-Jun-2018, 18:10
Thank, received approval.

We spend a couple weeks down in St Simons every year, always try to visit Christchurch and its grounds with the camera. This was with the Bender kit camera I made and an old fujinon 210mm. If I recalled fp4 processed in Gordon Hutchinson’s PMK.

esearing
26-Aug-2018, 15:42
LFer's in Atlanta and North - we had our 3rd monthly outing todays at Sweetwater Creek State Park and Westview Cemetary. Come join in the fun.... If you are a MF shooter and thinking of moving up , you too are welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nglfp

esearing
15-Feb-2020, 08:10
LF meetup 02/16/2020 9:00 AM - Going to Hogpen Gap and Wildcat mountain - There should be Ice on the Rocks and nearby water should be flowing well.

Corran
17-Feb-2020, 06:10
Additional LF shooters always welcome!

LF group outing 2/16/20:

http://www.esearing.com/Bryan/AV/photosharing/hogpenraven-three-s.jpg

roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau
25-Feb-2020, 19:40
Oh... you guys are rockin' it. I am soooo delighted to see you guys pull this off, and let me say, SOOOOOOOOOO jealous... I'm gonna have to try to get something similar going in Annapolis, MD... to which you guys are DEFINITELY invited. Yeah... I'm sure it's too far NORTH, too far, too Yankee or whatever, but you'd be welcome, and we DO have some decent BBQ (much to my surprise) and even better crab cakes. Thanks for the inspiration, and keep up the good work of having fun.