PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss Discovery - unknown part

Vijay Iyer
6-Sep-2005, 14:55
Hello -

I am a long time lurker, but new poster.

I have a relatively new Arca Swiss Discovery that I really like. However, the other day, when pulling it out of its case, this small black aluminum dowel fell out of somewhere. It's about 1.5 cm long and 1/4" in diameter. It looks like it fits in perfectly where a bubble level would go on the front standard, but I'm not sure if it came from there, and if it did, what its purpose is. Can anyone help me out as to what this is? I feel like a kid who just took something apart and ended up with an extra screw after putting it together :)

Thank you very much!!

Vijay

Ling Z
6-Sep-2005, 21:44
Vijay, Arca Swiss does not install a bubble level on the front standard of Discovery, instead, they put a black dowel like the one you described to fill up the hole (to save cost I guess). Actually, you may purchase a genuine Arca Swiss bubble level from www.precisioncameraworks.com for $11 to replace the dowel and make the camera even better.

Ben Diss
7-Sep-2005, 09:00
What a timely thread.

I was fooling around with my Discovery last night trying to grasp the subtleties of bellows extension formulas and noticed what I thought to be the front bubble level missing from the carrier. Good to know I only lost a dowel and that a cheap replacement is available.

Thanks!

-Ben

Richard Schlesinger
9-Sep-2005, 11:00
Interesting. My Discovery has a level on the front standard for tilt. No level down below for side to side level. Is this the one you are taliking about? And how does the pin or whatever come out so I can replace it with a level? Never thought about it before.