PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with Mentor Studio Reflex conversion to 4x5

erian
18-Jun-2018, 17:45
I got Mentor Studio Reflex SRL some time ago but it has a problem that it only accepts some rather uncommon 9x12 film metal holders.

I would like to convert it to accept standard 4x5 holders.

Could somebody hold my hand in this or perhaps offer it as a service.

Mark Sampson
19-Jun-2018, 15:50
Check with www.skgrimes.com. They do all kinds of custom work on cameras.

Steven Tribe
20-Jun-2018, 03:04
I got Mentor Studio Reflex SRL some time ago but it has a problem that it only accepts some rather uncommon 9x12 film metal holders.

I would like to convert it to accept standard 4x5 holders.

Could somebody hold my hand in this or perhaps offer it as a service.

The German 9x12 single/double metal film/plate holders are by no means uncommon. You just have to recognise what they look like! 9x12 film is also easily available from Berlin. The only really hard to find holders are those for the pre-war Linhof folders!

erian
20-Jun-2018, 15:36
The German 9x12 single/double metal film/plate holders are by no means uncommon. You just have to recognise what they look like! 9x12 film is also easily available from Berlin. The only really hard to find holders are those for the pre-war Linhof folders!

It is not this easy.

The holders must be 4mm thick and without any additional guides. It is possible to find them when I ask every seller to measure their holders.

But the holders must have also a special insert that supports film and most (if not all) available holders are only for glass plates.

I actually have a roll film holder so I could do 6x9 but it is kind of waste of time with this camera.

Steven Tribe
22-Jun-2018, 02:08
What era is the camera from? Is it post WW2 (DDR production) or is it from the "Glamour days" earlier in the 20th century?

9x12cm film sheaths are readily available for plate fim holder conversion.

alexvaras
22-Jun-2018, 03:40
I think I have located 3 of those double holders here in moscow. Later I will post a picture.

No rails.
I have to go to the house of this person during the weekend, if you want I can measure everything again.

pjd
22-Jun-2018, 04:02
It is not this easy.
But the holders must have also a special insert that supports film and most (if not all) available holders are only for glass plates.

If you can find holders, the film sheaths needn't be such a problem. I have a 10x15cm plate camera that I use, despite having film sheaths I ended up placing film on top of a 10x15 piece of glass. It seems easier in use, though a bit heavier. You could cut a piece of plastic or perspex sheet to size and lay the film on top - or as Steven suggested, find film sheaths.

It's almost impossible to find film sheaths accurately described, but if you just bid on poorly described lots of rusty looking 9x12 holders you'll end up with a good number of septums (septa?) fairly quickly.

Hacking up a Mentor seems a pity, it might be easier and more cost effective to sell it and get a camera with a native 4x5 back.

erian
22-Jun-2018, 15:11
A little bit more about the camera.

It came with the Carl Zeiss Jena 250mm f/4.5 lens. As you can see on the larger image, current back can be unscrewed. This means that the camera can be restored to its historic state.

The back can be actually turned from portrait to the landscape orientation.

179675 179676 179674 179673

erian
22-Jun-2018, 15:17
An additional adapter is necessary to fit the film holders.

Camera came with one 9x12 holder but I found that Rollex Patent 6x9 holder should be also work. I have not tried it but at least it fits nicely into the adapter.

179677 179678 179679

erian
22-Jun-2018, 15:21
What era is the camera from? Is it post WW2 (DDR production) or is it from the "Glamour days" earlier in the 20th century?

Actually I do not know. I uploaded some images, perhaps there is a hint on them. The camera came with Carl Zeiss Jena lens, so perhaps it is DDR creation but I can not confirm it.

erian
22-Jun-2018, 15:23
I think I have located 3 of those double holders here in moscow. Later I will post a picture.

I am not sure these will fit. They look rather thick. But maybe because camera needs an adapter for the 9x12 metal holders.

erian
22-Jun-2018, 15:27
If you can find holders, the film sheaths needn't be such a problem. I have a 10x15cm plate camera that I use, despite having film sheaths I ended up placing film on top of a 10x15 piece of glass. It seems easier in use, though a bit heavier. You could cut a piece of plastic or perspex sheet to size and lay the film on top - or as Steven suggested, find film sheaths.

It's almost impossible to find film sheaths accurately described, but if you just bid on poorly described lots of rusty looking 9x12 holders you'll end up with a good number of septums (septa?) fairly quickly.

Hacking up a Mentor seems a pity, it might be easier and more cost effective to sell it and get a camera with a native 4x5 back.

I agree with the sentiment that hurting old cameras should be avoided but current back can be easily removed and returned, so I do not think that it will create a problem.

I see the cameras as a tools. Yes, I can use 9x12 (or 6x9) with it but I also want to shoot pack film and Provia with it (yes, I could cut it down). Proper holder would make it better tool.

Daniel Unkefer
23-Jun-2018, 16:02
The ribbed 9x12cm single sheet holder in your photo were made by RADA in Germany. Kodak made 9x12 sheet film sheaths to fit those RADA holders. I have some brand new in the original boxes, 12 to a box.

Do you want to see the RADA catalog? I can post it (after finding it).

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1812/41163297310_c066c53ff9_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/25HsEbA)RADA 9x12 holder (https://flic.kr/p/25HsEbA) by Nokton48 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/), on Flickr

pjd
23-Jun-2018, 19:46
I've seen a RADA catalogue somewhere that gave the names of the different types of metal holders (millionen, normal & some other types maybe). If that holder has simple flat sides (no grooves or rails at the sides / bottom) it's the same as those used in a Perka camera, not impossible to find.

And Daniel is right, 9x12 Kodak film sheaths will fit - and there are lots of German made film sheaths out there too (Agfa made them, and I've got some unbranded, while there are also Soviet made film sheaths too). I have a bunch of them, but in use with varying 9x12 cameras.

Someone who used to be active on this site (Ian Grant) might be able to help, he knows a lot about plate camera stuff - think he's active on Photrio.

Having had a closer look at your photos, I think I have the remnants of a Mentor back in a box of plate holder bits & pieces (in an attic in a house in the UK, and I'm in Seoul right now, so can't go and check it out - but it's good to know what it is, thanks for having posted these images).

Steven Tribe
24-Jun-2018, 02:03
I haven't collected this type of holder - I have used other 9x12cm German/French types - but I have some of different types and a lot of Kodak 9x12 sheaths that somehow "arrived"!

There are single holders shown as well as 2 NOS film pack holders, which I believe find use as dry and wet plate holders these days!

Glad you mentioned Ian Grant (IanG) who has not been here since early 2017 and hasn't responded to PMs! He is very well informed about T-P shutters and the plate/film holders etc.

Daniel Unkefer
25-Jun-2018, 12:58
Found the RADA catalog. One of these holders listed will fit your Mentor Reflex.

http://www.galerie-photo.com/manuels/dos-rada.pdf

Actually on Page 9 is the Plattenkassetten, which is says fits the MENTOR. Takes 9x12cm film inserts.

So there you are. :cool:

http://www.macodirect.de/en/search?sSearch=9x12+film is where I buy some of my 9x12 film.

Color 9x12cm also seems to be easy to access, just not in the USA.