PDA

View Full Version : Eastman 33a Missing 5x7 Back

mickjazz
18-Jun-2018, 10:53
In a(nother) moment of weakness, I purchased an Eastman 33a 5x7 box with lenses etc on the big auction site. The camera is in
decent shape. But I failed to recognize amongst the 12 images is that it has no back whatsoever. Lenses with multiple boards, film carriers but nothing on the back.

Seller refused to cancel order but I am able to return it - $24 ups

I've looked and these are not common cameras though they were entry level in the 30's. I have also thought that possibly another 5x7 back with ground glass would fit the 33, but nobody knows yes or no and the prices of the backs are generally more than I paid for the camera.

So questions:
1. Back compatibility - is there a 5x7 back that would work?
2. Possible to make one?
3. Just return the camera?
4. Keep what I want and part out the rest?

Opinions Welcome

Thanks Mick

Jim Jones
18-Jun-2018, 11:17
I've improvised a 4x5 back for a 5x7 B&J camera from a piece of plywood and a 4x5 back from a salvaged Speed Graphic. It was a simple job with basic woodworking tools. If your lenses cover 5x7, they will be more suited to view camera movements than the lenses that often come on 4x5 cameras and only cover that format.

MikeMGB
18-Jun-2018, 14:55
I've improvised a 4x5 back for a 5x7 B&J camera from a piece of plywood and a 4x5 back from a salvaged Speed Graphic. It was a simple job with basic woodworking tools. If your lenses cover 5x7, they will be more suited to view camera movements than the lenses that often come on 4x5 cameras and only cover that format.

I did the same thing with a 5x7 Gundlach. It came with no back so I cobbled together a 4x5 back and used that until I finally found an original 5x7.

mickjazz
18-Jun-2018, 16:45
I did the same thing with a 5x7 Gundlach. It came with no back so I cobbled together a 4x5 back and used that until I finally found an original 5x7.

Thanks. How does the made back attach to the box? Improvised clips from velcro or tape? Could I start with a B&J 5x7 back with the ground glass?

MikeMGB
18-Jun-2018, 17:25
Thanks. How does the made back attach to the box? Improvised clips from velcro or tape? Could I start with a B&J 5x7 back with the ground glass?

The Gundlach has pins in the back that lock into latches on the camera, I cut the heads off nails and hammered them into my plywood back in the appropriate places.

As to your question, I don't know. I'm new at LF and don't know enough about the 33a or B&J back to give you a definite back. However, with a little ingenuity anything is usually possible.

mickjazz
18-Jun-2018, 18:08
The Gundlach has pins in the back that lock into latches on the camera, I cut the heads off nails and hammered them into my plywood back in the appropriate places.

As to your question, I don't know. I'm new at LF and don't know enough about the 33a or B&J back to give you a definite back. However, with a little ingenuity anything is usually possible.

Thank you. You're correct and lf cameras don't have reqs in terms of shots per second. There's time to unlatch or untap the back, insert the film holder, expose the film and remove it

Mick

DMS206
19-Jun-2018, 06:46
the 33a has a smaller outside diameter than most other 5x7's including the Eastman Kodak 2d, so it shouldn't be too hard to take a back from something else and modify it to fit. If you need any dimensions off of a 33 back, I can measure them for you.
Dave

mickjazz
19-Jun-2018, 17:11
the 33a has a smaller outside diameter than most other 5x7's including the Eastman Kodak 2d, so it shouldn't be too hard to take a back from something else and modify it to fit. If you need any dimensions off of a 33 back, I can measure them for you.
Dave
Thx Dave

The dimensions will help. Including the thickness of the 33 back

Also those of the glass opening

Thanks again

Randy
20-Jun-2018, 16:37
I also have a 33a - I would say it is worthwhile making a back if the bellows is in good condition. It shouldn't be to difficult, and then you would have a 5X7 camera that is not any heavier than a 4X5 Speed Graphic.

mickjazz
20-Jun-2018, 18:05
I also have a 33a - I would say it is worthwhile making a back if the bellows is in good condition. It shouldn't be to difficult, and then you would have a 5X7 camera that is not any heavier than a 4X5 Speed Graphic.

Yeah there was a thread on this or another of forum 8,9 years ago. Someone had a 33 - not 33a. He liked it except not much movement. He committed that people were drawn to it.

M

mickjazz
20-Jun-2018, 22:06

Could you possibly provide a few images of your 33a back with a couple referenced dimensions

Thanks Randy

Randy
21-Jun-2018, 04:23
Mick, hope this helps.

The wooden ground-glass frame (the part you lift to insert the film holder) outer dimensions are 212mm X 150mm X 10mm thick.
The groung-glass is 178mm X 127mm and sits in a rebate that is 4.5mm deep.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2m3xn1t32zchrhc/5X7_back1.JPG?dl=1

The wood baffle, the part that sits down inside the camera back, is 189mm square and is 5mm deep.
The outer dimensions of the wood film back (the part that the round metal pins are in each corner) is 203mm square and 6mm thick.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqcswos1hk06t4w/5X7_back2.JPG?dl=1

The round pins extend about 3.5mm and are 2mm in diameter.
The combined thickness, from the outside of the ground-glass frame to the inside baffle that sits inside the camera back is 22mm.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9esqybpqs6phunu/5X7_back3.JPG?dl=1

The metal strip (that the film holder butts against when inserted in the film back) is 162mm X 10mm
https://www.dropbox.com/s/idenzf6ju4s3w2n/5X7_back4.JPG?dl=1

Jim Jones
21-Jun-2018, 04:56
The back on my 5x7 Burke & James flatbed is 213mm square with a 200mm baffle about 3.4mm thick. It can be padded out with hobby shop felt. The locating pins are spaced about 183mm. This back is not the original B&J grey, but appears to have been adapted from another camera. However, it has worked well for several decades.

Randy
21-Jun-2018, 06:29
My guess - just about any wooden (and possibly metal) 5X7 back could be modified to fit your 33a. That would probably be a lot easier than to build one from scratch. There is a B&J back on ebay now for $38+.

DrTang
21-Jun-2018, 09:04
I'mma go look in my 'junk pile..I may just have a 33a back

I had a parts 33 or 33a (I forget..or didn't know the difference) that I parted out and might still have the back

I do have a bunch of 5x7 backs anyway even if I don't have the proper one, that might be adaptable

keep bugging me..they are in a box in my storage and probably buried..so it could take a bit

Jon Shiu
21-Jun-2018, 09:33
Wouldn't it be better to take the dimensions directly from your camera, rather than someone else's back?

to add: those dimensions are better gotten from measuring your own camera as individual cameras often vary.

Randy
21-Jun-2018, 13:29
Wouldn't it be better to take the dimensions directly from your camera, rather than someone else's back?

Jon, I think he was just needing a reference (assuming that all 33a's are the same dimensions) in case he decided to construct one himself...I think.

mickjazz
22-Jun-2018, 05:12
Mick, hope this helps.

The wooden ground-glass frame (the part you lift to insert the film holder) outer dimensions are 212mm X 150mm X 10mm thick.
The groung-glass is 178mm X 127mm and sits in a rebate that is 4.5mm deep.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2m3xn1t32zchrhc/5X7_back1.JPG?dl=1

The wood baffle, the part that sits down inside the camera back, is 189mm square and is 5mm deep.
The outer dimensions of the wood film back (the part that the round metal pins are in each corner) is 203mm square and 6mm thick.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqcswos1hk06t4w/5X7_back2.JPG?dl=1

The round pins extend about 3.5mm and are 2mm in diameter.
The combined thickness, from the outside of the ground-glass frame to the inside baffle that sits inside the camera back is 22mm.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9esqybpqs6phunu/5X7_back3.JPG?dl=1

The metal strip (that the film holder butts against when inserted in the film back) is 162mm X 10mm
https://www.dropbox.com/s/idenzf6ju4s3w2n/5X7_back4.JPG?dl=1

Randy thanks very much for the 33a back images. It does look like I could mod a B&J 5x7 back to fit.

M