PDA

View Full Version : New 'Affordable' 8x10 camera

f9likethekey
18-Jun-2018, 08:55
I'm not associated with the company, just passing on the info. I don't see the cost listed anywhere either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-wTTxE4m2Q

Andrew O'Neill
18-Jun-2018, 12:31
Looks nice... it looks like it focuses like my 14x17, by just sliding the front standard by hand...

Bob Salomon
18-Jun-2018, 12:34
I believe CatLab sells it for about $2700.

f9likethekey
18-Jun-2018, 12:39
I believe CatLab sells it for about $2700.

I nearly fell off my seat laughing. Thank you.

Alan9940
18-Jun-2018, 12:43
Always glad to see new LF cameras coming to market, but for the money and the way that thing was shaking around as he applied various movements I'd go with an Intrepid 8x10 for 480 pounds! Use the savings for travel.

andrewch59
18-Jun-2018, 16:34
Looks like bellows and gg/filmholders are held on by magnets, don't they lose their integrity after a time?

Andrew O'Neill
19-Jun-2018, 12:00
Always glad to see new LF cameras coming to market, but for the money and the way that thing was shaking around as he applied various movements I'd go with an Intrepid 8x10 for 480 pounds! Use the savings for travel.

I noticed that too, but I think that might have been because he had it on a flimsy tripod with the centre pole elevated.

Bob Salomon
19-Jun-2018, 13:53
I noticed that too, but I think that might have been because he had it on a flimsy tripod with the centre pole elevated.

I think a lot of it was because he never took the time to practice on it!

Lachlan 717
19-Jun-2018, 14:11
To me, the front standard looks like it is forward/back “rocking” on the two bolts that attach it to the baseplate. If this is the case, it needs (at least) a third point of attachment, probably at the rear of the base of the front standard to stabilise the whole assembly front to back.

(Am I seeing Light coming from underneath the brace on the back of the front standard assembly?)

Colin Graham
19-Jun-2018, 16:39
It looked to me like the video was a just a preview and the cost for the 8x10 hasn't been set yet, but the 4x5 version (https://www.stenopeika.com/prodotto/hyper-camera-4x5-basic/) is 297 euros.

Alan9940
19-Jun-2018, 21:27

Agreed. A couple of times I thought the entire camera was going to detach from the tripod!

stevelmx5
21-Jun-2018, 03:42
He designed and built the camera, along with the other Stenopeika cameras, so I imagine he's had quite a lot of practice with its' use :0)

pepeguitarra
21-Jun-2018, 09:03
I still prefer the marine plywood as material for these cameras. Those skinny pieces of solid wood will twist, shrink, expand, etc.

Romain79
21-Jun-2018, 19:58
The camera that Cat Lab is selling is the 8x10 SE II from Stenopeika https://www.stenopeika.com/categoria-prodotto/large-format-photography/folding-camera/, the camera in the video is an alternative to the intrepid 8x10. In the regards to the movement anyone can see that the tripod is moving there is no way that the camera will move there is 4 bolted screw on the bottom of it to hold the tripod plate.

I am getting the X camera from Stenopeika 4x5 with aluminum base board look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEPDike-cNc and I am pretty excited about it.

I did lots of research as I was looking at purchasing the Intrepid originally but you can se lots of comments even on there own FB page about parts and screw loosing up. The Stenopeika seams to be a solid engine with proper screw and bolts nothing seams to withhold into the wood. I spoke to Samuele numerous time and he always been open to discussion and being very arranging also in terms of payments. I've tried to contact intrepid over the phone and I never been able to speak to them, I sent some e-mails and got a couple replied after they stopped replying to me (I was just asking to make some part payment as it takes 2 month to built the camera something that I find fair). The price of the Hyper 4x5 is very similar to the intrepid 4x5 but the hyper from stenopeika seams way more solid and reliable with many more screw. The back has also more movements. I think that the intrepid are made not to last and for a temporary hobby but I believe that the Stenopeika is made to stay. Samuele made each cameras himself around one to 2 cameras per month is not looking after the quantities but the quality with strong Italian craft. I believe in his work. I will post pictures when I get mine.

Happy Shooting!!!

Lachlan 717
22-Jun-2018, 00:49
Bolts on the base-plate don’t necessarily equate to stable standards...

Andrew Plume
22-Jun-2018, 01:37
As has been said the video may just be "a preview" and if that's the case then there we are.................but I don't think he did himself any great favours in the way he went about it, sure he wanted to demonstrate that it's easy to set up and use but something slower may be the better way to go

andrew

f9likethekey
2-Jul-2018, 11:32
He recently added a new video about this camera, with a 'special offer'. Again, just passing along the info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr0Tgu2M8Yc

Romain79
2-Jul-2018, 21:05
Looks Good! The Advance will have the precise focus!!!

f9likethekey
3-Jul-2018, 12:37
Just got the prices. 699 Euro for the basic and 799 Euro for the advanced.

Romain79
3-Jul-2018, 20:48
A bit more expensive that the Intrepid but much more steadier. People keeps complaining on there FB page how pieces are falling apart.

locutus
3-Jul-2018, 23:28
Just got the prices. 699 Euro for the basic and 799 Euro for the advanced.

At that price difference i can't imagine the basic version without a proper focussing mechanism will be a big seller.

Max Grew
4-Jul-2018, 11:42
A bit more expensive that the Intrepid but much more steadier. People keeps complaining on there FB page how pieces are falling apart.

Hello, just a quick reply about this. We have had some people mention on facebook problems (only one "fell apart" due to being attached to the back of a push bike through east Asia for a month). But you are right in that some people have had problems, it is important to remember this is a tiny percentage of the 450 Intrepid 8x10 Users and we have been able to rectify the various problems with users who have had them. The reality is that the vast majority of people are happy and out shooting with their Intrepid 8x10s!

Sorry that we were not able to accept part payment for a camera, the website isn't set up to do this and to be honest no one has ever asked before. You are in safe hands with Sam from Stenopeika, he is a great guy and makes a great camera, enjoy!

Thanks, Max - Intrepid Camera

ventdesable
4-Jul-2018, 11:47
Hello,

There is another player in the game. "Woodyman". On the first 7 seconds of this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwTzxJDU0qo you will see that there are some interesting differences !
They do use poplar plywood and around 4' you will see that it's geared. That camera has all it needs for easy steady mobile landscape photography. You won't hesitate to take it farer than 500 yards !

I am not associated with those people. But I have met the guy on the video and he is a proud camera builder. One day I'll buy one.

Jérôme