PDA

View Full Version : Rollei IR 400: my sheets are slightly larger than 4" x 5"?

Kleiny41
12-Jun-2018, 11:28
Has anyone ever gotten a box of 4x5 sheets of Rollei IR 400 and they were slightly larger than 4x5? I have a box of film sheets that are slightly too large for my film holders and don't quite fit in my scanner holders either. For a few months I thought I was no longer able to load this film in my holders because I was getting arthritic or something. This morning when I was scanning some sheets I realized they are simply a few mm too large on each side.

mpirie
12-Jun-2018, 11:45
Yes, that's part of the reason I stopped using this film in 5x4.

I had around 4 or 5 oversized sheets per pack of 25....very frustrating and wasteful.

Mike

richydicky
12-Jun-2018, 11:48
Two or three years ago or so I found that the long side was slightly longer, about 2mm, and had to trim to fit scanner holders but fitted film holders OK, though I use mostly Grafmatics. The last two boxes of film I have had from last year did not have the size issue but I did find in the last box that the cut edge was a bit rough and on some sheets the notch not fully cut. I love the film but with the thinness and propensity to scratches don't think I'll be using it again.

rdenney
12-Jun-2018, 12:12
It's because of the longer wavelength of IR.

Rick "trying to keep a straight face" Denney

alberto_zh
12-Jun-2018, 13:36
It's because of the longer wavelength of IR.

Rick "trying to keep a straight face" Denney

You won sir, you won the night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colin Robertson
12-Jun-2018, 13:47
Excellent. My first box of his stuff arrived yesterday, so hoping not to be jinxed by reading this.
I've been using it in 120, and developed in PMK it makes beautiful negatives. I'm looking forward to images with Infrared effect, but smooth tones.

ps- Just opened a packet from Amazon, to find the 67mm IR filter I ordered to go with this film is actually a 72mm filter. Thanks, Amazon!

John Layton
12-Jun-2018, 14:02
...sounds like someone else will be getting a long side that's a bit short! Plus...the mention of a rough edge could indicate a not too careful "cut by hand" job. Larger problem with such an edge exists in good potential for scratching during tray shuffle-processing...especially with such a delicate film.

Jac@stafford.net
12-Jun-2018, 14:18
Rollei film strikes me as a rip-off using tail-ends, ungraded, expired, erred manufactured or surplus films packaged under a prestigious brand. Gosh only knows who made it. Avoid.

alexmuir
12-Jun-2018, 15:16
The Rollei RPX400 has the same sizing problem.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kleiny41
13-Jun-2018, 05:05
Anyone ever write to Maco and let them know?

alberto_zh
13-Jun-2018, 05:05
The Rollei RPX400 has the same sizing problem.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Used them only once and had no problem.

Andrew O'Neill
13-Jun-2018, 09:46
I did... and once I got a box where the notch code slowly disappeared! That was about 10 years ago. The boxes that I have gone through over the past few years have been fine.

Andrew O'Neill
13-Jun-2018, 09:53
The other issue I have with this film is the thin base. I have to be very careful not to load two sheets,one on top of the other in the film holder. They're also VERY difficult to remove from BTZS tubes due to that fact... but, despite all it's quirks, it's a lovely film and I will continue to use it. What other choices do we have? None.

Colin Robertson
13-Jun-2018, 10:10
Andrew, I just followed your flickr link. You have some very attractive IR images.
I've only used the Rollei film in 120 until now, but I'm looking forward to trying it in 5x4. All I need now is for the sun to come back out.

G Benaim
14-Jun-2018, 22:29
Those of you using this film, have you developed in trays? I ask because I'm considering getting a roll for bigger formats and am worried the thin base may make it difficult to do tray development. Also, have you found regular film holders and bellows to properly shield against the ir this film is sensitive to? Thanks

mpirie
15-Jun-2018, 04:46
No problem with existing film holders, though i am conscious of making sure i shield the holders at every opportunity.

I process mine in a rotary Jobo.....which takes a certain knack to load with such a thin film base.....so dread to think what it'd be like in trays.

I'm sure someone will be along soon who has tried it in trays.

Mike

Kleiny41
15-Jun-2018, 06:15
I've been using the MOD 54 to develop them and I have had a few slip out and end up in the wrong slot resulting in the problems you'd expect.

David Lindquist
15-Jun-2018, 10:17
No problem with existing film holders, though i am conscious of making sure i shield the holders at every opportunity.

I process mine in a rotary Jobo.....which takes a certain knack to load with such a thin film base.....so dread to think what it'd be like in trays.

I'm sure someone will be along soon who has tried it in trays.

Mike

I've developed this film in trays and didn't have problems. I don't have a lot of experience with this film yet. My initial speed testing based on the "Sunny 16 rule" yielded an E.I. of 1 (as in one) when using the recommended Hoya R72 filter. I developed in XTOL 1 + 1, 7 1/2 minutes, 20ºC. I'd have to look back to see where I got this developing time to try. It looks like a bit more time would be worth trying. No problems with my film holders or bellows being opaque to IR or with the sheets being off in size.

Found it, got this developing time from DigitalTruth's "Massive Dev Chart".

David

Andrew O'Neill
15-Jun-2018, 11:25
Andrew, I just followed your flickr link. You have some very attractive IR images.
I've only used the Rollei film in 120 until now, but I'm looking forward to trying it in 5x4. All I need now is for the sun to come back out.

Thank you Colin. It's lovely in 5x4.

Kleiny41
15-Jun-2018, 18:49
Thank you Colin. It's lovely in 5x4.

I've been on the hunt for a decent time for the Rollei in Pyrocat HD.

RMiksell
19-Jun-2018, 06:21
I’ve been using 12 minutes at 70f with a 1:2:100 dilution. Found the time on the web somewhere, can’t seem to find it again though.

Kleiny41
19-Jun-2018, 13:58
Thank you!!

John Olsen
23-Jun-2018, 19:54
Those of you using this film, have you developed in trays? I ask because I'm considering getting a roll for bigger formats and am worried the thin base may make it difficult to do tray development. Also, have you found regular film holders and bellows to properly shield against the ir this film is sensitive to? Thanks

I do it one sheet at a time in tray. You really have to pay attention to not drop the film since it's so light - almost like holding air. But the results are very nice.