PDA

View Full Version : New production run of Apo-Sironar-S lenses

Oren Grad
9-Jun-2018, 16:46
Evidently a new, limited production run of several lenses in the Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S series has been commissioned. Focal lengths are 150, 210, 240, 300 and 360, all supplied in Copal 1 or 3 as appropriate.

The only dealers I've found so far that are offering these lenses are Badger Graphic in the US and Linhof Studio in the UK. Per Linhof Studio, the lenses are going to be engraved "EDITION".

Prices are very high compared to when these lenses used to be commonly available - prices at Badger range from $2799 for the 150 up to $5199 for the 360, while the range at Linhof Studio is from £1995 to £3690. More details can be found on their respective websites.

I imagine that few of us will be able to afford the lenses at those prices, so this is mostly for the record. But it's nice to see at least a few more of these lenses coming into the world.

Jim Fitzgerald
9-Jun-2018, 18:03
Oren, I saw that they were offering new lenses. I think Midwest photo has them as well. I decided to order the Cooke XVa convertible instead. I looked at my order and it was from Jeff at Badger so not sure if midwest has them as well, sorry.

Andre Noble
10-Jun-2018, 10:43
I had a chance to buy a brand new Rodenstock Apo Sironar S 360 lens from Calumet in 2010 for $1400 and I let it slip away at last minute. Still kicking myself over that one.

David Lindquist
11-Jun-2018, 08:34
Interesting, I wonder what led to this. And I wonder how many Copal shutters they have left. Maybe they decided to use them up (half joking - half serious). Using an online currency converter Linhof Studio's price of £1995 for the 150mm works out to $2670. They note the 150 is in a Copal 0 shutter.

David

Bob Salomon
11-Jun-2018, 09:30
Interesting, I wonder what led to this. And I wonder how many Copal shutters they have left. Maybe they decided to use them up (half joking - half serious). Using an online currency converter Linhof Studio's price of £1995 for the 150mm works out to $2670. They note the 150 is in a Copal 0 shutter.

David
Usually what leads up to this is a dealer or a distributor contracting with the factory to buy a complete. Production run.
In all liklehood Greiner, who had a network of grey market dealers, including Badger, placed the order.

Oren Grad
11-Jun-2018, 10:20
Usually what leads up to this is a dealer or a distributor contracting with the factory to buy a complete. Production run.
In all liklehood Greiner, who had a network of grey market dealers, including Badger, placed the order.

This. In other words, it's not Qioptiq that's betting on the market and taking the financial risk, it's Greiner or whatever other dealer has organized the order. There was a special run of the 300 Apo-Sironar-W several years back. IIRC Greiner was involved in that one; Badger had the lens available by special order for a while.

Bob Salomon
11-Jun-2018, 10:28
This. In other words, it's not Qioptiq that's betting on the market and taking the financial risk, it's Greiner or whatever other dealer has organized the order. There was a special run of the 300 Apo-Sironar-W several years back. IIRC Greiner was involved in that one; Badger had the lens available by special order for a while.
Zeiss also made a special run of the 135 Planar for the Japanese Linhof distributor a bunch of years ago. Both Ken Hanson and Samy’s in the US bought a share of these.

Midwest was also a grey dealer so they probably are also involved with whoever ordered the lenses. The limiting factor, of course, will be how many shutters are available.
When Copal announced the end of production we had asked Rodenstock how long they could continue supply. While they would not commit to an actual length they were very adamant that they had years of shutters available.
Of course digital LF lenses are all in a 0 shutter so the real question was the availability of 1 and 3 shutters in their inventory.

Emmanuel BIGLER
12-Jun-2018, 06:23
Hello from Europe !

The information had been announced on the German LF forum in March 2018, here
https://grossformatfotografie.de/thread/15173-rodenstock-grossformatobjektive-neu-edition/?pageNo=1

https://grossformatfotografie.de/thread/15198-keine-geheimniskr%C3%A4merei-neue-optiken-von-rodenstock-incl-best%C3%A4tigung/

At the time, retail prices were not known ;)

europanorama
31-Aug-2018, 00:14
There was a japanese Aerocambuilder who used 135mm zeiss-lens. i still have prospectus. cannot be found on google since early 80ties. was at photokina.

europanorama
31-Aug-2018, 00:41
Hello from Europe !

The information had been announced on the German LF forum in March 2018, here
https://grossformatfotografie.de/thread/15173-rodenstock-grossformatobjektive-neu-edition/?pageNo=1

https://grossformatfotografie.de/thread/15198-keine-geheimniskr%C3%A4merei-neue-optiken-von-rodenstock-incl-best%C3%A4tigung/

At the time, retail prices were not known ;)
downloads for rodenstocklenses and filters etc.
http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/services/
this is the french company. google for english
http://www.qioptiq.de/

David Lindquist
31-Aug-2018, 17:16
Somewhat related to this, per my inquiries earlier this month I found that neither SK Grimes nor Schneider Optics (Hauppauge NY) have any more new Copal No. 0 shutters. I don't know about the No. 1 or No. 3 shutters.

David

Thalmees
6-Sep-2018, 10:31
Rodenstock is the biggest company in the history that manufactured different variable performance versions of lenses under the same model name.
In addition to loose obligation to a specific fixed specifications, I think they have linguistic limitations;).

Bob Salomon
6-Sep-2018, 10:57
Rodenstock is the biggest company in the history that manufactured different variable performance versions of lenses under the same model name.
In addition to loose obligation to a specific fixed specifications, I think they have linguistic limitations;).

How are they different then Schneider?

And what does “variable performance” mean?