PDA

View Full Version : Protective measures for Pyrocat HD?

Kleiny41
7-Jun-2018, 10:47
I just received my first batch of Pyrocat HD in glycol and ordered a respirator and rubber smock. I also have eye protection. Do regular pyro users take this measures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob carnie
7-Jun-2018, 10:51
No - respirator, no smock , no eye protection

Mark Sampson
7-Jun-2018, 11:10
I've been using PMK and nowadays, Pyrocat HD, in my personal work for almost 25 years. The hazardous part of pyro developers comes from ingesting dust from the dry pyrogallol chemical, a problem not found with the liquid concentrate. I use gloves and a lab coat, but then I do that for all my darkroom work. I suppose eye protection is good, too, but I wear glasses anyway, so they have served that purpose.
Of course care in handling any/all photo chemistry is always good practice, for a variety of reasons.
If you can find a copy of Gordon Hutchings' "The Book of Pyro", you'll find more in-depth information; perhaps also at Sandy King's pyrocat-hd.com site.

Kleiny41
7-Jun-2018, 11:22
Thank you so much! I’ve been so worried about using it. My fear is now relieved. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Galli
7-Jun-2018, 11:56
X3 I mix my own from dry powders and don't use this stuff, and like the famous line in Smoke Smoke Smoke That Cigarette, "I ain't dead yet"

bob carnie
7-Jun-2018, 12:24
In Liquid form I use PMK since its inception, though I use no protection , I am very careful with measurement, mixing and usage. I started without using gloves, I think we all wanted the cool black fingernails that Brett Weston had, but once I started noticing red blotches on the backs of my hands I switched and any time I handle wet chemicals it is with gloves on... (most times anyways)

esearing
7-Jun-2018, 13:28
Nitrile gloves - And I wear the vinyl apron anytime in the darkroom to reduce stained clothing. I only seem to splash if not wearing protective gear.

Drew Wiley
7-Jun-2018, 16:04
Nitrile gloves, always, for all darkroom chem, toxic or not. Clear goggles might be nice if you're prone to splashing. I'm not. There is big fume hood over my sink, so that potential issue is taken care of; plus a flexible fume hose which I can suspend over beakers when I am especially paranoid about mixing something. Mainly common sense. Read MSDS sheets; and I assume most of us have had a basic High School chemistry class... if you could build a targeted
stink bomb that got only the teacher, controlled darkroom chem should be easy.

Jim Noel
8-Jun-2018, 12:00

Me too!

jp
8-Jun-2018, 12:33
I mix the concentrate outdoors so as to not have the pyro powder in my darkroom. Gloves and glasses for that work.

Doremus Scudder
9-Jun-2018, 02:14
Nitrile gloves, lab apron, glasses and ventilation over my darkroom sink are standard for me when using pyro developers. For less-toxic things I'll remove the gloves. I develop film by hand in trays. For prints I use tongs 90% of the time. I'll put on the gloves for selenium toning if I need to use my hands.

Most important, however, is to know what the specific risks are with the chemicals you use and handle them appropriately.

Pyro absorbs through the skin, so avoiding skin contact with both the raw chemicals, and stock and working solutions is paramount. If you mix from powder, airborne particles are a problem and need a solution. Some pre-packaged kits can be mixed "underwater" so to speak, i.e., snip a corner of the packet and submerge it in when pouring. You can pour out most of the chemical with no dust then rinse the packet with water to get the rest. If you're mixing from bulk chemicals, then you should really have a mask/respirator, goggles and adequate ventilation (or mix outdoors).

Clean-up is equally important. Chemicals splash around and can get into the most far-flung places. A larger tray of water under the developer tray can catch a lot of splashes and functions as a temperature buffer as well. Rinse well, wipe things down after processing and mop the floor often.

Understanding what exactly you need prevents uncertainty and overkill.

Best,

Doremus

j.e.simmons
9-Jun-2018, 04:11
Of course, Pyrocat HD doesn’t have pyro in it.

koraks
9-Jun-2018, 04:47
As I understand, both pyrogallol and pyrocatechol are capable of penetrating the skin. Arguably that would imply that hydroquinone would do the same. Hence, the same safety precautions could be taken for all three, which means that they would also be relevant for regular HQ developers.
The pyrocatechol that I buy comes in the former of flakes instead of a powder which helps a bit in preventing it from dusting around.

Tin Can
9-Jun-2018, 06:48
http://www.pyrocat-hd.com/html/mixing.html

Steve Sherman
9-Jun-2018, 10:31
As I understand, both pyrogallol and pyrocatechol are capable of penetrating the skin. Arguably that would imply that hydroquinone would do the same. Hence, the same safety precautions could be taken for all three, which means that they would also be relevant for regular HQ developers.
The pyrocatechol that I buy comes in the former of flakes instead of a powder which helps a bit in preventing it from dusting around.

I buy the individual ingredients as I have done since 2000, use a lot of it and it is much more cost effective. For more casual use I would use the packaged in Glycol version and not worry as I do when mixing the with the Pyrocathecol which comes in flakes. I use nitrile gloves, eye protection and a nice 3M respirator, why take a chance.