PDA

View Full Version : Identifying a Problem With C-41 Film

nicksotis
6-Jun-2018, 22:31
Hi all,

I recently scanned my first batch of 4x5 work and I have a problem with a few negatives which I can't identify. I'm especially interested in knowing if it's something I did or something the lab did.

This image shows the problem clearly: the orange around the edges. Near the top right, the orange area has a very defined edge, which means it can't be exclusively related to chemistry. At the time I made this picture, my camera had a light leak in the bellows--not sure if that's related, either. This is a lousy scan with newton rings, etc, but it illustrates the problem well.

Any knowledge or speculation is appreciated!

nick

koraks
7-Jun-2018, 00:06
Looks like slight fog which occurred when loading or unloading the film to/from the holder. Although a light leak in the bellows may have been the cause as well, but I'd put my money on lack of complete darkness when loading/unloading film.

shoshin
11-Jun-2018, 02:11
Hi all,

I'm especially interested in knowing if it's something I did or something the lab did.

This is a scanning issue that only occurs with color negatives. It's light shining through the orange mask of the film. Thats why good filmscanners have masks for the negatives. But even then it's not always sucessful.

In this case I think the negative does not lie flat on your scanner or your holder doesn't. Do some more scans with the negative in different orientation.
If there would be a lightleak in your holder, it would be red on the positive and green on the negative.