PDA

View Full Version : Focal Length of Phone cameras to 4x5

schafphoto
6-Jun-2018, 02:12
I’m just doing a quick scout of tomorrow’s HABS documentation and was thinking it would be good to figure out what the phone cam equivalent focal lengths would be.

I could figure this out with enough math in front of the computer but i’m on locatoon.

I have an iPhone 6s and my guess is that the horizontal is close to a horizontal 135mm/4x5. And the vertical phone would equate generallly to a 240mm/4x5 horizontal

But i may be very wrong.

I dont know of a 4x5/5x7 aspect ratio lrns selector app but i would buy it.

Steve Goldstein
6-Jun-2018, 02:22
I’ve just started using “ViewFinder Preview” by Adam Fowler on my 6s. It probably does what you need and is reasonably priced, under $10 as I recall and maybe even less. There are several apps in the $20+ range with viewfinder in the name, you may have to scroll down through the search results to find this one. Adam introduced this app in the "New Products" forum in April. The thread is titled “iPhone Viewfinder App” and it’s near the top.

According to the app the native view of my iPhone is slightly wider than a 100mm lens on 4x5. Well, that's not actually the native view but it's what the app shows with the 4x5 format selected.

Pfsor
6-Jun-2018, 03:33
Make yourself a viewing frame and you don't need to guess.

schafphoto
6-Jun-2018, 17:58
The thread is titled “iPhone Viewfinder App” and it’s near the top.

According to the app the native view of my iPhone is slightly wider than a 100mm lens on 4x5. Well, that's not actually the native view but it's what the app shows with the 4x5 format selected.

I downloaded it. We’ll see. Thanks.

schafphoto
7-Jun-2018, 00:30
the native view of my iPhone is slightly wider than a 100mm lens on 4x5. Well, that's not actually the native view but it's what the app shows with the 4x5 format selected.

Yes it looks to be about 105mm - 4x5. Since most oc my work is wide angle it has limited application but i can use it for matching my longer lenses and my 120mm and guess the 90mm. I have a Linhof finder on the way but I know I’ll leave home with without it.

BradS
7-Jun-2018, 12:51
I guess that all you really need is a piece of cardboard with a 4 x 5 inch hole cut in it...and maybe, a cloth tape measure from the fabric store.

EdWorkman
7-Jun-2018, 16:16
Heresy, Blasphemy, and just WRONG

schafphoto
7-Jun-2018, 17:57
Heresy, Blasphemy, and just WRONG

You’re right! That’s what the old glass-plate photographers said when they came out with film.