PDA

View Full Version : Wollensak 159mm Lens Shutter Options

joedgaia
3-Jun-2018, 08:30
I have a Wollensak 159mm lens mounted in an Alphax F9.5 shutter where the T setting is failing making it difficult to focus. I can use a cable with a lock on the B setting but is there another type of shutter, maybe one with a focus preview lever, that the lenses can be mounted in?

Louis Pacilla
3-Jun-2018, 08:51
I have a Wollensak 159mm lens mounted in an Alphax F9.5 shutter where the T setting is failing making it difficult to focus. I can use a cable with a lock on the B setting but is there another type of shutter, maybe one with a focus preview lever, that the lenses can be mounted in?

My late version is mounted in the largest Rapax shutter which is laoded with features including a switched flash sync, T -B 1-400 & a preview lever.

I'm not sure but I would guess if your WA is a later coated version (so post WWII), it would be a direct fit from The Alphax (self setting shutter) to the largest size Rapax w/ preview lever (manual set shutter). Seeing how it's the same time frame and the same company they may have the same size cells .

I'm working away from home for a few more days but will/can put my calipers on my cells/shutter when I'm back at the house. I would guess you can find some of if not all the dimensions at Camera Eccentric in the Wollensak catalogs.

joedgaia
3-Jun-2018, 10:43
TY Louis

Carsten Wolff
23-Jun-2018, 01:34
I'd just get another Alphax, or Betax #3 shutter; (and/or get your's serviced? - They're pretty durable) Any Alphax should do; just transfer the face with the matching aperture scale. If you want flash, get a Synchromatic. AFAIK, Rapax shutters have different dimensions, but don't quote me on that. (I'd sell you my matching Betax shutter if you get desperate lol).

John Kasaian
27-Jun-2018, 13:53
Why not get it repaired? I'd ask Carol at Flutot's.

Whir-Click
27-Jun-2018, 17:27
The cells will screw directly in to any Alphax or Betax #3 shutter. A Rapax looks like close but no cigar.

Alphax shutters are dead simple and a joy to work on, even for those usually reluctant to open up the hood. There’s not much that can’t be fixed with a simple, partial disassembly and cleaning of gunked-up parts. If this fails, Flutot’s is the next step.

dentkimterry
27-Jun-2018, 18:49
Why not get it repaired? I'd ask Carol at Flutot's.

On Facebook today Carol announced they would be closed for a few weeks. No other explanation.
Terry

neil poulsen
27-Jun-2018, 19:23
Kerry Thalmann found a late model, multi-coated version of this lens.

joedgaia
28-Jun-2018, 08:10
I sent it off to Carol. She was able to get it working again although she said that the T setting wouldn't function. As it is necessary for focusing, I'll have to use the Bulb setting with a cable release lock down for focus purposes, not ideal but a workaround.