PDA

View Full Version : Nikkor 480mm f9 repair

swmcl
2-Jun-2018, 14:50
Hi all,

I have a said lens with fungus on an internal element. Could someone enlighten me as to how to take the lens apart please ?

It is in a repair shop and they can't get a repair manual from Nikon - although they are the authorised Nikon repairer. Perhaps it is too old and forgotten about from Nikon's perspective ...

The repair shop rang me on the phone asking for permission to drill holes in the front face in order to unscrew it. The rear element removal has proceeded to a point. I don't want drills until I know the front face is removeable. The front of the lens is the problem at this stage.

Cheers,
Steve

LabRat
2-Jun-2018, 18:37
It should go to Nikon factory, or one of their national or regional distributor repair centers...

For parts + service, manuals etc, I remember they provide much less resources than before, so you should seek out their service...

Having to drill out your lens seems silly, as there was a way to put it together, and it should come apart in reverse of that...

Good luck!!!

Steve K

swmcl
2-Jun-2018, 22:56
Hi Steve,

As mentioned, it is with the Nikon repair centre in Brisbane and Nikon in Japan are not helping. So now it is up to those in our community that might know ...

Rgds,

B.S.Kumar
3-Jun-2018, 05:49
There might be some glue in the threads surrounding the ring around the front element. A drop of alcohol to dissolve the glue would help.

Kumar

swmcl
3-Jun-2018, 16:18
Cheers Mr Kumar, do you know that the front ring does screw off ? I'd hate to see the front ring drilled and it not be able to be removed !!

B.S.Kumar
3-Jun-2018, 16:35
I have the same lens. Though it has many scratches, it still throws a very pleasing image. There are threads, so I assume it will come off.

Kumar

LabRat
3-Jun-2018, 17:26
Follow Kumar's advice, look very carefully where the threads and bezel meet, you should see at least two tiny blobs of threadlok, take a hypodermic syringe with denatured alcohol or acetone to those spots... Then a piece of plastic pipe that fits near the outer ring (that has a rubber surface attached to the end, or a rubber stopper with the inside carved out so as that nothing makes contact with the glass) so that after two or three tiny applications , then pressure/rotation to try to rotate it out...

Good luck!!!

Steve K

swmcl
4-Jun-2018, 13:20
Thanks guys,

I'll pass the information on to the repair shop.

Cheers,

swmcl
5-Jun-2018, 02:51
Well I did discover today that the mounting ring for the Nikkor 480mm f9 is exactly the same diameter and thread as that of a Compound #5 shutter I own ...