PDA

View Full Version : Short Film "Sharing the Light" featuring Bob Kolbrener

SuzanneH
31-May-2018, 17:20
Hi all!

Just wanted to share with you a short film (7 minutes) which my son directed called, "Sharing the Light". It features my nephew, Nolan Beck, and his relationship with mentor/large-format photographer, Bob Kolbrener.

I figured if anyone would appreciate this film - it would be THIS special community! :D

My mother was a large format photographer and I am thrilled that her grandson is continuing to practice this beautiful art form.

https://vimeo.com/272695525

Warm regards
Suzanne Houchin

diversey
31-May-2018, 17:46
A great film, very neat! Thanks for sharing!

SuzanneH
31-May-2018, 17:52
Thanks so much for watching and commenting! Very appreciated. :D

Ray Van Nes
31-May-2018, 18:17
Very lovely film and very inspirational.

tgtaylor
31-May-2018, 19:44
Enjoyed it immensely. Thanks for posting.

Thomas

andrewch59
31-May-2018, 19:47
Great Film, has a certain serenity to it thankyou for sharing, more please!

JordanF
31-May-2018, 20:54
I came here to share the same thing! Luckily I searched first :)

Fantastic little documentary. It got me inspired to get out there and shoot! Now if only this endless rain would clear...

Randy
1-Jun-2018, 03:04
Simply wonderful!

John Kasaian
1-Jun-2018, 08:21
Beatiful film! Thanks for sharing this---I'm a big fan of Kolbrener so his input was a nice plus!

SuzanneH
1-Jun-2018, 09:07
Thank you all so much for checking out the film and commenting. Your comments mean so much to the filmmakers - especially from this group! :D If you know of any other groups or forums you think might be interested, please don't hesitate to share. Thank you again so much! :)

Alan Gales
1-Jun-2018, 09:14
Great short film. Definitely inspiring! Thanks for posting this. Yes, we do appreciate it. If they are up to it, I think we all would like to see more.

Alan Gales
1-Jun-2018, 09:24
Thank you all so much for checking out the film and commenting. Your comments mean so much to the filmmakers - especially from this group! :D If you know of any other groups or forums you think might be interested, please don't hesitate to share. Thank you again so much! :)

I'm not a filmmaker but the video looked very professional to me. Tell them that they did a great job!

I think many on Photrio (formally APUG) would be interested in seeing it if you want to post it there. There is also YouTube.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/

SuzanneH
1-Jun-2018, 09:41
Thanks so very much, Alan! We will totally check out posting on Photrio! Great suggestion.
I'm not a filmmaker but the video looked very professional to me. Tell them that they did a great job!

I think many on Photrio (formally APUG) would be interested in seeing it if you want to post it there. There is also YouTube.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/

malexand
1-Jun-2018, 11:04
Really nice job!
Would love to see more - it felt like I was just watching a preview of something bigger :)

Jim Noel
1-Jun-2018, 13:12
A beautiful little film. Good luck to Nolan, as a teacher and LF photographer for 70+ years and an acquaintance of Ansel's as well as a close friend of Al Weber, it makes me feel good to see a young person so dedicated to the field of photography which I love and have spent my life with. Although still active as a teacher and photographer, it warms my heart to see a young person with the drive to keep going in the face of the too big a swing toward digital imaging. We need to encourage and support as many young people like him as we can find.

SuzanneH
1-Jun-2018, 17:33
We would love that, too! :D Thanks, much.
Really nice job!
Would love to see more - it felt like I was just watching a preview of something bigger :)

SuzanneH
1-Jun-2018, 17:38
Jim, I could not agree more! Yes!!! Perhaps this film, in its own little way, will inspire a few young people to explore large format photography. I certainly hope so.

I passed your comment along to Nolan. He was very moved by it and wanted me to express his gratitude to you. Thanks for your lovely comment. And keep on truckin'! :D Warm regards, Suzanne
A beautiful little film. Good luck to Nolan, as a teacher and LF photographer for 70+ years and an acquaintance of Ansel's as well as a close friend of Al Weber, it makes me feel good to see a young person so dedicated to the field of photography which I love and have spent my life with. Although still active as a teacher and photographer, it warms my heart to see a young person with the drive to keep going in the face of the too big a swing toward digital imaging. We need to encourage and support as many young people like him as we can find.

William Whitaker
1-Jun-2018, 18:54
Excellent! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm sure you're very proud of both!

Merg Ross
1-Jun-2018, 22:33
That was wonderful! I could sense the passion, of student and teacher. I hope Nolan's dedication and love for the process continues. As Jim suggests, we need to encourage his generation as they face the challenges and opportunities of present day photography. The future is bright; also knowing the history is important.

Thanks for sharing.

Fred L
2-Jun-2018, 07:07
a very lovely short film, thanks for sharing this.

Joshua Dunn
3-Jun-2018, 08:39
Thanks for this!

-Joshua

Ulophot
3-Jun-2018, 11:21
Suzanne, fine work. It introduced me to Kolbrener's work as well, a man of rare vision.

I would add something to the previous comments. Nolan's pursuit is encouraging not only for taking up LF photography and its processes "that take forever,", but, as he suggests, the quality of thought process and outlook which can come from this deliberative approach, not only to art but to life. I am by no means against improvements in technology that make our lives better, including those that speed things up; it is when time to think, to appreciate and employ the richness of language (spoken and written, not COBOL) in communicating with each other, to contemplate our history and discover new paths for communicating, as the poet Shelley said, profound and impassioned concepts respecting man and nature -- when these are devalued by insistence on instantaneous results, we lose something essential to our humanity, and thus to society. To have the opportunity to participate, as a young person, in such education or apprenticeships as this film portrays is something to be treasured in today's troubled times.

I also enjoyed the thoughtful marriage of Schubert's piano trio with the visual and narrative.

Thanks for sharing.

SuzanneH
4-Jun-2018, 14:42
My goodness. What a beautiful and articulate response. I shared this with all the participants in the film - they are grateful whenever someone GETS some of the deeper nuances of this film. I love the Shelley quote. Thanks so much for your thoughtful post. Warm regards to you!

Suzanne, fine work. It introduced me to Kolbrener's work as well, a man of rare vision.

I would add something to the previous comments. Nolan's pursuit is encouraging not only for taking up LF photography and its processes "that take forever,", but, as he suggests, the quality of thought process and outlook which can come from this deliberative approach, not only to art but to life. I am by no means against improvements in technology that make our lives better, including those that speed things up; it is when time to think, to appreciate and employ the richness of language (spoken and written, not COBOL) in communicating with each other, to contemplate our history and discover new paths for communicating, as the poet Shelley said, profound and impassioned concepts respecting man and nature -- when these are devalued by insistence on instantaneous results, we lose something essential to our humanity, and thus to society. To have the opportunity to participate, as a young person, in such education or apprenticeships as this film portrays is something to be treasured in today's troubled times.

I also enjoyed the thoughtful marriage of Schubert's piano trio with the visual and narrative.

Thanks for sharing.

chris77
4-Jun-2018, 15:59
wow. i find it kind of dull, all the well sought angles and excessive slomos aside. kolbrener seems to be a very nice and also interesting character though. thanks for sharing. is this advertisement for the younger guy? maybe it is, and yes, maybe somebody will get interested in lf photography watching this.
i actually doubt it. it doesnt bring anything original to the table.. just my opinion.

h2oman
9-Jun-2018, 11:36
Wonderful video, great work by both artists. Thanks for sharing.

Andrew O'Neill
10-Jun-2018, 14:20
Everything about this was wonderful.

joedgaia
10-Jun-2018, 18:34
So much to love about this film; intelligent, artistic and considerate. Well done.

joe murray | nativesonsfilms

Directors Guild Of America-Director
Int'l Cinematographers Guild -Director of Photography
www.nativesonsfilms.com

SuzanneH
11-Jun-2018, 09:13
Thank you so much! :)
Wonderful video, great work by both artists. Thanks for sharing.

germansaram
23-Jun-2018, 08:19
wow. i find it kind of dull, all the well sought angles and excessive slomos aside. kolbrener seems to be a very nice and also interesting character though. thanks for sharing. is this advertisement for the younger guy? maybe it is, and yes, maybe somebody will get interested in lf photography watching this.
i actually doubt it. it doesnt bring anything original to the table.. just my opinion.

Maybe for you it "doesn't bring anything original to the table" but don't you think it still can inspire people? People who don't know about this art - especially the younger generation, which is growing up with taking pictures on their smartphones, could be introduced to lf photography like this.
Anyways, I think it was a lovely film. :)

Jan Pietrzak
30-Jul-2018, 08:55
Suzanne,

loved the film, I think Nolan is on the right track.....like Jim Noel I to have taught photography, I had my last intern last year it was fun to see the lights go.....ask Nolan to ask Bob about the great bike race in Yosemite between him and Art.....Jan

andreios
30-Jul-2018, 09:11
Beautiful film about beautiful things (and persons)... Loved it.
I only wish I could have a teacher like this.. Here's hoping that many would find such kindred spirits - both teachers and students!

smrtysusan
31-Jul-2018, 04:25
That's a great work from your son. This little documentary is simply amazing. best wishes for your son.