PDA

View Full Version : Help getting started with an Imagon 300

John Brady
31-May-2018, 07:20
I have an Imagon 300 in a copal 3, with the 7.7-9.5 and 9.5-11.5 disks. I am looking for some advice on using this lens in a low lit, swamp setting to photograph Orchids with my 8x10 and t-max 100. I have read what I can find from older posts but still have a couple of questions.

I am looking to create a soft focus effect but still capture the beauty of the orchid, would you advise photographing wide open without the disks, if so, what is the aperture, 6.8? Or is it advisable to use the disks, if so, which one and open or closed? I will only be using dim natural light, I think I have read the disks worked best with bright studio light. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Bob Salomon
31-May-2018, 07:41
Wide open it is the closest to what is engraved on the lens. But what focal length is marked on your 2mdisks?

Without a very strong spectral you will not get the halo effect of the Imagon. It does not like flat lighting.

Mark Woods
31-May-2018, 08:25
I have to respectfully disagree with Bob. I have the 300 Imagon & a 200 Imagon and have made photographs in flat light. I think what Bob was referring to is not the light so much as the contrast of the image. "Blooming," or the halo effect, will come into play in higher contrast situations. I love the look of the lenses and I use them without the disks -- wide open. Enjoy the journey with them!

Bob Salomon
31-May-2018, 08:51
I have to respectfully disagree with Bob. I have the 300 Imagon & a 200 Imagon and have made photographs in flat light. I think what Bob was referring to is not the light so much as the contrast of the image. "Blooming," or the halo effect, will come into play in higher contrast situations. I love the look of the lenses and I use them without the disks -- wide open. Enjoy the journey with them!

Mark, I specifically stated the halo effect.

Peter De Smidt
31-May-2018, 09:38
Imagon 300mm

No Disk:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/253m7evmutkvyz8/Imagon_No_Disk.jpg?raw=1

Largest hole disk, peripheral holes closed:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ba8olgtr281vdyp/Faux_Imagon_Soft_Disk_closed.jpg?raw=1

Middle disk, peripheral holes closed:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1ml582d6uuowj3/Faux_Imagon_Middle_Disk_closed.jpg?raw=1

Small disk, peripheral holes closed:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xr0nm68m4rnidtm/Faux_Imagon_H11_Closed.jpg?raw=1

Peter De Smidt
31-May-2018, 09:46
Imagon 300mm

Homemade 47mm circular aperture:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gaiwyc9winpkfc5/Faux_Ima_47mm_8bit.jpg?raw=1

Homemade 57mm circular aperture:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/91xe5azxmi854q9/Faux_Ima_57mm_8bit.jpg?raw=1

Tin Can
31-May-2018, 09:58
Peter, re your series.

Did you notice and correct for much focus shift?

John Brady
31-May-2018, 10:02
One of the many reasons I love being part of this community! Thank you Bob, Mark and Peter!
Peter, thank you for sharing a very clear difference between the setups! Based on that, I almost think I like the look of the 7.7 disk closed. I will have to experiment!

Bob, I have two disks, 7.7-9.5 and 9.5-11.5. My lens has 6.8 on it so I assume thats what I would meter for wide open?

Peter De Smidt
31-May-2018, 10:36
Peter, re your series.

Did you notice and correct for much focus shift?

I focused, as best I could!, at the taking apertures. Focusing these lenses is an art, one that I haven't mastered.

Peter De Smidt
31-May-2018, 10:38
Here's with the middle disk with the peripheral holes open:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ewadlrt0j634v9/Faux_Imagon_Middle_Disk_open.jpg?raw=1

I don't like what this does to background and foreground specular highlights.

Bob Salomon
31-May-2018, 10:53
One of the many reasons I love being part of this community! Thank you Bob, Mark and Peter!
Peter, thank you for sharing a very clear difference between the setups! Based on that, I almost think I like the look of the 7.7 disk closed. I will have to experiment!

Bob, I have two disks, 7.7-9.5 and 9.5-11.5. My lens has 6.8 on it so I assume thats what I would meter for wide open?

Yes, both of your disks are marked 300?

Bob Salomon
31-May-2018, 10:57
I focused, as best I could!, at the taking apertures. Focusing these lenses is an art, one that I haven't mastered.

The easiest way to focus is to look at a spectral at the point you want to focus to form a cross. The easiest way to do that is to place a flashlight at the subject. Remember, the design of the Imagon results in the lens having more depth of field at any setting then other lenses of the same focal length and aperture setting! Once you get used to the overall look of the image when you see the cross then it will become much easier to focus without the flashlight.

Tin Can
31-May-2018, 11:02
The easiest way to focus is to look at a spectral at the point you want to focus to form a cross. The easiest way to do that is to place a flashlight at the subject. Remember, the design of the Imagon results in the lens having more depth of field at any setting then other lenses of the same focal length and aperture setting! Once you get used to the overall look of the image when you see the cross then it will become much easier to focus without the flashlight.

Going to try Bob's tip today, so I might remember it.

Thanks, Bob and Peter.

Randy
31-May-2018, 11:58
I don't have an Imagon lens, but I wonder if the difficulty in focusing is anything like what I experience with my 190mm re-manufactured Wollaston Meniscus lens made by Reinhold? Sometimes it takes several minutes of racking back and forth over and over and over again before I am either satisfied that I have achieved optimum focus, or I just give up and shoot the picture.

Bob Salomon
31-May-2018, 12:21
I don't have an Imagon lens, but I wonder if the difficulty in focusing is anything like what I experience with my 190mm re-manufactured Wollaston Meniscus lens made by Reinhold? Sometimes it takes several minutes of racking back and forth over and over and over again before I am either satisfied that I have achieved optimum focus, or I just give up and shoot the picture.

The Imagon has two different focal lengths, the marked one which is the center of the lens and a different focal lens which is the periphery of the lens. The outer focal length’s effect is controlled by the size and opening of the various disks. Also, each disk has a different size center hole. With no disk the lens is at it’s softest setting. With the disk with the smallest center hole with the surrounding holes closed the Imagon is at it’s sharpest setting.
Each disk controls the various softness effects progressively depending on the surrounding holes being open or closed.

Tin Can
31-May-2018, 12:23
I stopped posting SF images here as every time I got a harsh lecture.

Mark Woods
31-May-2018, 13:28
Randy, that's a bummer. I love the Pictorialist style of images.

Tin Can
31-May-2018, 13:46
Me too

It is closer to what I actually see

Randy, that's a bummer. I love the Pictorialist style of images.

John Brady
31-May-2018, 13:49
Yes, both of your disks are marked 300?

Yes, both disks are marked f300

Mark Woods
31-May-2018, 13:49
Better get new glasses. ;-) I have pin hole lens glasses. ;-)

Bob Salomon
31-May-2018, 13:54
Yes, both disks are marked f300

Good!

Tin Can
31-May-2018, 14:15
I am. New fake lens tomorrow with my second eye cataract surgery.

As I have a 360 Imagon I'm going to try Bob's flashlight advice when I regain my sight...

Better get new glasses. ;-) I have pin hole lens glasses. ;-)

Mark Woods
31-May-2018, 14:29
The flashlight advice is pretty standard focusing procedure in the film industry for Asst. Cameramen. It works!

Tin Can
31-May-2018, 15:14
I have used a flashlight but the key to the Imagon that Bob revealed is 'The easiest way to focus is to look at a spectral at the point you want to focus to form a cross....and place a flashlight there.'

And I shoot alone.

I have been on movie sets, the amount of helpers is amazing. Occasionally I shoot DSLR on set. Autofocus has been good for me when it works...

I hope when the eyes settle down, maybe I will be better able to focus.

Already one eye has it's yellow filter removed and that was a color revelation. White is white!

The flashlight advice is pretty standard focusing procedure in the film industry for Asst. Cameramen. It works!

Mark Woods
31-May-2018, 15:25
Hey Randy, I'm sure you look forward to the new lens "cleaning." I hope all is well. :-)

Tin Can
31-May-2018, 15:42
Hey Randy, I'm sure you look forward to the new lens "cleaning." I hope all is well. :-)

Thanks. I'm a bit nervous.