PDA

View Full Version : Darkroom chemistry effect on a file archive?

Antti Aalto
2-Sep-2005, 07:17
Hi. I know this is a bit off topic, but I'll ask anyway. I've got an opportunity to set up a darkroom in
a mostly empty file storage room. Why there? It would be available for free, enough space, deep enough shelves to hold trays neatly and it's well temperature regulated. However, it's still used for the storage of a certain amount of files; mainly computer prints on standard printing paper. Before I'll start moving in, I'd like to know what kind of an effect film and paper developer vapour can be expected to have on the stored files - and how quickly. It's a somewhat redundant archive, but still an archive. I wouldn't be working in trays with files right above and there's probably adequate ventilation. Still, I recall seeing properly stored printouts at work, not ten years old, but printed on a wrong kind of paper with a wrong kind of ink and now nearly faded. I know photographers don't just store valuable papers in their darkrooms for the fun of trying this out, but I figured someone might still have an idea.Cheers!

Brian C. Miller
2-Sep-2005, 07:41
There would be no effect. The chemicals will have more effect on you than the old files. If the room is ventilated well enough for you, then the files will have no problems.

John_4185
2-Sep-2005, 09:07
If the printed material is of any value at all, and it must be if it is in storage, then you will likely be held accountable if any is found damaged. Computer paper such as the wide, green-bar type is usually of terrible quality and it is likely to deteriorate, especially those pages exposed to the air. The inks used are attacked by the paper's acid content and fades regardless of exposure to air.

You need not take my word for it, but I do work with archival issues on the job (university library) and we would never, ever store chemistry, let alone open it, in a critical storage area.

So, work in there at your own risk.

Ed Richards
2-Sep-2005, 09:56
I think water is a much bigger problem. A darkroom is naturally damp for some time, often a lot of time, esp. if the local humidity is not extremely low. Unless you can keep the humidity low, the cycling of high and lower humidity will be a problem for anything on paper.

Donald Qualls
2-Sep-2005, 14:20
Add my agreement to all three previous responders -- the chemicals themselves will do nothing to stored files unless spilled directly on the contents, but dampness might, and either way you'll be blamed and potentially held liable for damage that would probably have occurred without you.

Do yourself a favor and convert a bathroom instead. Melamine counter tops, porcelain sinks, and tile floors are pretty impervious to anything short of selenium toner or glacial acetic acid spills, most bathrooms have limited ventilation built in, all have running water and drainage, they're relatively easy to darken, and nothing in there is expected to be readable in twenty years despite being printed on paper designed to last one year.

FWIW, darkening my bathroom (in a rented home, so no permanent modifications) required about $20 in materials, a few hours of thought, and 4-5 hours of work. I now have room for my 4x5 enlarger, 8x10 trays, paper safe, enlarger accessories, print washing (in the bathtub), and can convert back and forth from bathroom to darkroom in ten minutes plus chemical mixing/disposal and cold light warm-up time. The Omega D2 enlarger, on a kitchen cart, even goes through the narrow bathroom door, fully set up and with the head at the top of the column, if necessary.

Brian Ellis
2-Sep-2005, 16:34
I have all sorts of paper, mostly instruction materials, old BTZS newsletters, darkroom guides, notes written on cheap computer paper from every workshop I've ever attended, processing notes, etc. some of which has been in my darkroom for over 10 years. All are fine as far as I can tell. It sounds like you have an ideal location for a darkroom so I'd suggest using it and not worrying about these redundant papers. The chances that chemical fumes will harm the paper are slim and none IMHO.

Richard Ide
2-Sep-2005, 17:49
Hi

From past experience, evaporation from fixer and or stop bath causes rust in the presence of humidity. I think you would be ok if you kept your chemistry bottled when not in use. I had large tanks for hand processing which I didn't start covering until I noticed rust on exposed steel surfaces.

Richard