PDA

View Full Version : Viewing wet prints in the darkroom

Greg
23-May-2018, 16:41
Up to a few weeks ago, I used a 60 watt tungsten bulb in a reflector shining over a piece of angled clear plexiglass on the back of my darkroom's sink to judge my wet prints coming out of the fixer. Have been always doing it this way since the 1980s. Then came across a Graphiclite PDV print viewer with Sidewalls on that auction site at a reasonable price with shipping included. Bought it and mounted it above my sink. Was a pain to fit it in the space. After using it a several times for judging both FB silver and Platinum/Palladium prints (have to ultra gentle handle the wet Platinum/Palladium prints, but is 100% doable), it is many times better than the 60 watt tungsten bulb in a reflector that I previously used for all these years.

Bruce Barlow
24-May-2018, 06:21
An advantage of your setup, IMO, is that the print is on a white background, similar to mat board, rather than clear plexiglass. A huge advantage is that it gives you a consistency of light, angle, etc. so that apples remain apples. Well done!

Paul Ron
24-May-2018, 06:23
im sure its an improvement but those things are expensive.

Greg
24-May-2018, 07:14
im sure its an improvement but those things are expensive.

New, yes they are expensive. But if you're patient you can find one in excellent condition from a non-photographic seller for a fraction of the new price. The one I have goes for $703.00 from B&H. Took me two months, but finally found one for $249.00 including shipping costs. Was in like new condition, only missing the power cord of which I had several in my box of computer cords. Fortunately the bulbs survived intact and working despite the seller minimally boxing the folded up unit inside only 2 layers of cardboard!

Molli
27-May-2018, 12:02
Some time ago I downloaded a pdf file created by Mike Davis of ColorPrep to create one's own Proofing Booth. It looks more or less the same as images I found when seeing what the Graphiclite PDV print viewer with Sidewalls looked like which Greg referred to at the start of this thread. I'm unsure of the rules when it comes to linking to outside sources, but if you do an internet search of Mr. Davis' name and Printing Booth, you'll find the page easily enough and he has made his plans freely available. I'm sure they could be adapted as needed for darkroom use (and also get the price down with a bit of judicious shopping!)

Steve Sherman
27-May-2018, 13:01
40 watt bulb in a 6” reflector can 39” from white plexiglass over the fixer tray has served me well for 30+ years.

Merg Ross
27-May-2018, 21:14
40 watt bulb in a 6” reflector can 39” from white plexiglass over the fixer tray has served me well for 30+ years.

Steve, that is also my set-up, thirty-plus years in my present darkroom. For 8x10 and 11x14 I use a 16x20 sheet of white plexi.