PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Master Technika 2000

Santiago Vanegas
1-Sep-2005, 09:14
I am looking into aquiring a 4x5 to shoot 6x9 on roll film. I'm new to large format, so it's kind of confusing to pick the right lens/camera combination. For 6x9, I am interested in the Rodenstock Wide Angle 75mm f/4.5 Grandagon-N Lens with Copal #0 Shutter. In your opinion, would this lens be a good choice to use with the Linhof Master Technika 2000? Would it be (or not) too cumbersum to use on the Technika 2000? If it is too cumbersum, what other 4x5 or 6x9 would you recommend?

John_4185
1-Sep-2005, 09:55
One special advantage of the Technika is that it's a real field camera that can fold into itself. I do not know if will close with a Grandagon-N 75mm. If it does not, and the 75mm is your main lens, then the Technika is not the way to go, IMHO.

Bob Salomon
1-Sep-2005, 10:09
Get too many answers from too many places and you will simply get confused. Best let the person who contacted you help you. He can direct you to dealers in your area who can show you the camera and the lenses. Then you can see for yourself.

Michael Kadillak
1-Sep-2005, 11:40
If all you are interested in is shooting 6x9, a Fuji rangefinder with either the 65mm or 90mm can be had for about 1/5 the cost of the Linhof. These cameras have been discontinued, do not have view camera movements and have one fixed focal length lens affixed to a camera body, but are amazingly effective at doing their job. They can be had in the used market.

I shoot the Master Technika and just sold the 6x9 back I had for it. Never used it because when the Linhof came along I was inherently always reaching for 4x5 film holders to take maximum advantage of the image area and the movements. A heavy expensive camera for 6x9 use only IMHO.

Good Luck

David A. Goldfarb
1-Sep-2005, 14:03
The camera won't close with the 75/4.5 Grandagon-N, but I don't find it difficult to use with my Tech V. That said, there are many options, and it depends really on what combination of features you're looking for.

Henry Friedman
1-Sep-2005, 20:51
I shoot occasionally with a buddy who uses a Tech V. I understand it is less wide angle friendly than the Master, but I can tell you that my Canham DLC is way less cumbersome than his Linhof when shooting wide angle lenses. However, there is a certain appeal to the rock-solid Technika ...

Bob Salomon
2-Sep-2005, 07:49
Satiago,

You also want to look at the Technikardan as well as the Master Tecnika.

There is no advantage for the 2000 ov the Master with lenses as short as 75mm. And the Master can rangefinder focus the 75mm if you want in the future.

Both the TK and the 2000 hadle lenses from 35mm to 75mm with no special accessories, unlike the Master which can't get shorter then 55mm even with accessories.

On all technika 45 camera when the back is vertical the front edge of the bed will clip the fram on 45 with lenses from 75mm down. This can not happen on a TX, even with a 35mm and the TK has considerably more extension for macro or long lens work. A TK can be folded with the 75mm mounted in place.

John_4185
2-Sep-2005, 08:26
I second Bob Salomon's suggestion: The Technikardan is an amazing piece of engineering, and it is very compact. There is one in my future - as soon as I sell the rest of the 'stuff'.

Scott Rosenberg
2-Sep-2005, 14:52
i've owned both the technika (2 of them actually) and the TK45S and vastly prefer the technika. the technika feels solid and indestructible, and while the TK45S is definately no slouch, it is not a technika. it does offer some unique advantages over the technika, like better rear movements and more extension, but if you don't need those, the technika simply can not be bested.

gary mulder
3-Sep-2005, 02:16
I own both the M-technika and a TK23 non S. First I advise you to make up your mind if you want to shoot 6x9 or 4x5 or both. If you only shoot 6x9 I think the TK23 will be a far better choice because it will handle the focal range used with 6x9 (38 mm - 300 mm) with all necessary movements with less bulk than a 4x5 camera. If you want to shoot 4x5 the Technika would be my choice. It handles most focal lengths with reasonable amount of movement and is far less bulky folded than a TK45. The latter also when folded the bellows is unprotected outer perimeter of the package. If you want to shoot both formats with one camera, the TK45 would be the best compromise.

By the way, I understand the Schneider SS80mm will fold inside a Mastertechnika?

Bob Salomon
3-Sep-2005, 08:02
I would strongly suggest that you look at a 45 TKs rather then a 23. The 45 is 4 square inches larger, 1 lb heavier, has substantially more bellows - 8" more, uses any roll film back in International or slip-in stlye for 45 cameras. The 23 can only use Linhof Super Rollex or slip-in like the Rapid Rollex and folds up to a thicker package.

They are the same price and with the 45 you have the option of shooting 612 as well as 45 in the future.

Brian Ellis
4-Sep-2005, 04:58
I too have owned two Technikas and a Technikardan and I too prefer the Technikas by a large margin. For the reasons why I disliked the Technikardan, see my review of the Technikardan at this site under the 4x5 equipment reviews.

Bob Salomon
4-Sep-2005, 05:51
All the more reason to visit a dealer and see the cameras and see if you can follow the directions to open and close a TK. That was the reason some users here did not have sucess with the TK. 1000s of other users swear by the TK.