PDA

View Full Version : Carrying the 12x20

William Whitaker
14-May-2018, 10:59
I usually store my Folmer & Schwing 12x20 in a case made, I believe, by Alan Brubaker. For some reason I had thought that he used ABS plastic for his cases, but this one feels like it's made of plywood. It is well-made and secure, but it is heavy. And when it gets a 12x20 camera in it, it's that much heavier. So, thinking it would be nice to have a means of carrying the camera short distances, i started to look about and found a log carrier from L.L. Bean, made of a vinyl-backed canvas-type material. Being made to carry pieces of trees, it is strong. The handle straps go completely around the body of the bag. The length of the bag is 23 1/2 inches. My camera measures 22 inches across the back. Two brass focusing knobs, 1 each side, add 1 inch each to bring that total dimension to 24 inches. So I'm half an inch over on the large dimension. But as the bag is fabric, it flexes nicely to allow all of my camera in. The width of the camera is about 6 inches; the bag 12 inches. So there is room for a couple of film holders, too. I can fit three in a pinch, but it makes grabbing the handles more difficult. In fact, that's my only complaint: I wish the handle straps were just a few inches longer to give better purchase on the handle.
Weight of the hard case was 21 pounds empty. Weight of the camera kit in the log carrier with one film holder, dark hood and my homemade tripod block is 28 pounds.
The difference is that with the hard case I'd have to set it down by 20 feet from my car, maybe less. With this I can make it across the parking lot before I collapse of exhaustion. But at least when I do set it down the polyester canvas keeps out dirt and moisture. Of course, padding is minimal to non-existent, so care is needed. I have thoughts of making a padded insert for the bottom of the bag out of rigid foam insulation bonded to closed-cell foam material like a camping pad. But I need to find someone who can lengthen those handles first.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/42721?page=dura-tough-standing-log-carrier&bc=31-510044-516350&feat=42721-GNqv&csp=f&productId=720556&attrValue_1=Bark

Still contemplating the jogging stroller solution. But that costs more than 40 bucks.

karl french
14-May-2018, 11:16
Very nice. That looks like a handy bag. I've been using a canoe pack for carrying 12x20 holders (4) and just have the camera in hand. It would be nice to have something like this to protect the camera when setting it down.

William Whitaker
14-May-2018, 11:20
Hi Karl, Let me re-iterate that although the handles do go around the bag to support the load, the bag itself is only one layer of material, so adding some kind of a floor to the bag would help protect the camera from hard surfaces.
W

diversey
14-May-2018, 11:56
You may look at Gator bags from sweet-water online. It has different size bags for music instruments.

gphoto
14-May-2018, 12:17
I would definitely look at some kind of wheeled solution. I'm sure you could find a used stroller on craigslist and modify it's person carrier into a camera carrier.

William Whitaker
14-May-2018, 12:26
Note last line of OP.

Luis-F-S
14-May-2018, 12:31
You may look at Gator bags from sweet-water online. It has different size bags for music instruments.

B&H also carries these. I put foam on the bottom of the bag for extra insulation on my 11x14 bag. L

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Mixer-Cases-Covers/ci/1808/N/3992462174

Pfsor
14-May-2018, 13:32
. But I need to find someone who can lengthen those handles first.

You can lengthen them yourself quite easily. Just add another pair of handles, made DIY, on the pair of the old ones, best at their base.

Lachlan 717
14-May-2018, 16:51
I’d look for an XL pizza delivery bag. The type the guys wear like backpacks.

Pretty sure they’ll come in 24x24” sizing, and will be insulated.

Whir-Click
14-May-2018, 17:03
I’ve been contemplating one of these for my Korona 12x20 and wonder if anyone has tried it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01ND0YMUN/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526342501&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=gator+2621&dpPl=1&dpID=415p0bhR1VL&ref=plSrch

dentkimterry
14-May-2018, 17:32
I’ve been contemplating one of these for my Korona 12x20 and wonder if anyone has tried it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01ND0YMUN/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526342501&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=gator+2621&dpPl=1&dpID=415p0bhR1VL&ref=plSrch

I use a 20x20 model of this same bag for my 11x14. Works great. The body of the case holds the camera,
a couple of lenses and the dark cloth. There is an outside zippered pocket that holds two film holders. Carries well with the handles but not comfortable for long distance. I put it in a baby stroller to go cross country. A good case for the money.
Terry

jp
14-May-2018, 18:00
Someone that sews canvas or leather should be able to sew longer handles on that bag for you. They are indeed rugged bags.

gphoto
15-May-2018, 09:02
Note last line of OP.

My point was that you could probably find a stroller for less than 40$.

Daniel Strasshofer
16-May-2018, 11:48
I use this bag for my 12x20" Canham: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NGT-Universal-Padded-Large-Bait-Boat-Bag-Carryall-Carp-Fishing-Tackle-/361623021536
Now mounted on a foam-padded backpack harness.

Whir-Click
16-Jun-2018, 20:59
I went ahead and purchased the Gator Mixerbag 2621 and it works brilliantly for my Korona 12x20. The caveat is that I only have/use one film holder, but I believe I could fit another if I were fortunate enough to acquire one. The exterior pocket comfortably houses light meter, filters, etc. 179464

Roger Beck
17-Jun-2018, 10:35
Works the same way with a Folmer Schwing ;+). The velcro straps that normally hold the mixer in place, are perfectly placed to hold a 12x20 and keep it from bouncing around. It was a great recommendation.

jesse
5-Jul-2018, 01:38
Just bought mine at Amazon for my Chamonix 12x20

Drew Wiley
5-Jul-2018, 16:14
My solution: check the bellows very carefully for leaks, then fill it with helium.

Michael Roberts
15-Apr-2021, 09:11
I went ahead and purchased the Gator Mixerbag 2621 and it works brilliantly for my Korona 12x20. The caveat is that I only have/use one film holder, but I believe I could fit another if I were fortunate enough to acquire one. The exterior pocket comfortably houses light meter, filters, etc. 179464

Can anyone tell me how much this case weighs? Amazon says 6.5lbs but I'm not sure if that's the case alone or the shipping weight.

Thanks!

Tin Can
15-Apr-2021, 09:18
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1317569-REG/gator_cases_g_mixerbag_2621_mixer_bags_padded_nylon.html/specs?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyN-DBhCDARIsAFOELTllSQJFW7LDdV0sAed5Y8gywU7M3iO0jHLkDd8y6AjhkqzxR73lrs4aAhxeEALw_wcB

Michael Roberts
15-Apr-2021, 13:02
Thanks.

Tin Can
15-Apr-2021, 13:56
They are handy bags, I used one for 11X14 and just ordered a 12X12x5-1/2

Drew Bedo
19-Apr-2021, 04:19
A camera of this size and its associated support gear is worth protecting. Have you considered a hard shell case from Pelican or one of the other companies? Additionally, there are companies that will custome cut fosm inserts for these cases.

My suggestion is admittedly not a bargan basement solution. While I am a big fan of repurposing thrift store bags for photography , protecting and transporting this camera film holders and so on may justify spending more than a few dollars on effective solutions.

tomwilliams
19-Apr-2021, 06:28
But I need to find someone who can lengthen those handles first.

Still contemplating the jogging stroller solution. But that costs more than 40 bucks.

William, you might be able to find a local seamstress who has the capacity to sew heavy-duty material, but a leather worker surely will have the equipment. Getting away with a bill under $40 might be a challenge. I handled a similar situation with rivet-style jeans buttons, bought at a local Joanne's, using them to join an orphaned over-the-shoulder strap (originally accompanying a travel bag) to my new tote. The button kit was probably in the neighborhood of $30.

Drew Bedo
19-Apr-2021, 06:43
I had a jogging stroller a few years ago for my 8x10 kit. It worked fine but storage was a problem (for me) and getting it into the trunk was also an issue (no space for other things).

Another approach is a golf bag pull cart. sdome models are not expensive. Again it was for my 8x10 kit. I stripped off some golf fixtures and bolted on an old backpack frame to hang my LowePro pack on. This actually worked better than the stroller, as it was more maneuverable and pulled over rougher grounds.

For your larger outfit, I'd guess some other rig for securing the bag would be required.

Corran
19-Apr-2021, 09:01
My 12x20 came with very nice rigid but with soft outer material cases, one for camera and one for 4 film holders.

I have a couple of times simply stuck one holder in the camera and lugged the camera with the very heavy-duty hand strap on top (Wisner) in one hand with the tripod in the other, medium-sized backpack with 2-3 lenses and accessories on my back.

I know it's not the most elegant or protective way, but...that's okay :).

I wonder if I could get a modification of that Gator case to add a pouch for accessories along with good heavy-duty backpack straps.

Tin Can
19-Apr-2021, 10:43
I have used one of these, for smaller with plenty of room

Gator Cases G-MIX-L-1926 Lightweight Mixer Case

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/650534-REG/Gator_Cases_G_MIX_L_1926_G_MIX_L_1926_Lightweight_Mixer_Case.html

William Whitaker
19-Apr-2021, 13:48
I haven't even looked at this thread since I started it... until today. So many great responses. Thanks to all who have contributed! The Gator Case surely looks like the best contender to date. At least, I haven't seen anything better.

Tin Can
19-Apr-2021, 14:09
I just ordered one in backorder, of 10 days

This one is slightly different from the last that had a larger detachable pouch

but I never used it and still have it

Tin Can
22-Apr-2021, 05:53
Now it is in Memphis and expected...

B&H must have expedited it

I just ordered one in backorder, of 10 days

This one is slightly different from the last that had a larger detachable pouch

but I never used it and still have it

William Whitaker
22-Apr-2021, 09:01
The Gator 2621 is wedge-shaped with a maximum thickness at the side with the cover hinge, tapering to a lesser thickness on the handle side.
Can someone who has one tell me what that minimum thickness is?
My 12x20 Folmer & Schwing is a constant 6-inch thickness throughout and I wouldn't want to place undue pressure on it at that point.
Thank you!

Tin Can
22-Apr-2021, 09:31
I think they changed it

This is what I ordered, wait 3 days for my delivery, and we both will know

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/650534-REG/Gator_Cases_G_MIX_L_1926_G_MIX_L_1926_Lightweight_Mixer_Case.html/specs

Pete Roody
22-Apr-2021, 12:13
The gator cases look like an excellent solution. I already own an AWB soft case for my Ritter ULF camera. Lugging a case for the camera/lenses, another for film holders, and a tripod is not ideal. I use a Remin cart that can carry all 3. Using the Remin cart lets you travel allot further from the car. They fold very compact.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/43600-REG/Remin_S600_Super_600_Cart.html

Greg
22-Apr-2021, 15:45
I use a Remin cart that can carry all 3. Using the Remin cart lets you travel allot further from the car. They fold very compact.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/43600-REG/Remin_S600_Super_600_Cart.html

Have used the same Remin cart since probably around the late 1980s and can recommend it 100%. It has never failed nor let me down. Excellent cart for going up or down a stairway.

Whir-Click
22-Apr-2021, 16:38
The Gator 2621 is wedge-shaped with a maximum thickness at the side with the cover hinge, tapering to a lesser thickness on the handle side.
My 12x20 Folmer & Schwing is a constant 6-inch thickness throughout and I wouldn't want to place undue pressure on it at that point.
Thank you!

I measure about 6.5” internal depth on my Gator case at the shallowest, most tapered point.

It’s a padded but flexible case, so even though the Gundlach catalog lists my 12x20 as 7.25” thick, it fits comfortably in the Gator case without stressing the focus track or hinge.

Michael Roberts
23-Apr-2021, 05:41
I agree the Gator cases are very well made, but I sent mine back, as it seemed too big and a bit heavier than I wanted. My camera is only 12 pounds and the Gator added 50% more weight.

I’m still exploring options. I have a quilted bag a fabric artist friend made for me. The camera fits nicely inside, there is an external pocket for film holders, and I just bought a large nylon duffle that protects the art quilted bag. This will be fine for working near my vehicle, and I’m taking delivery of an external backpack frame today for hiking if I can figure out how to strap both camera and holders safely to the frame. Never used an external frame before, so we’ll see how it goes.

The duffel also has a shoulder strap. I may try adding a second shoulder strap and crossing them to better distribute the weight and see if I can walk comfortably with the camera on my back, tripod on one shoulder, and film holder case in the other hand.

Here is a link to the duffel: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R48P3MW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought this pocket waterproof blanket to put on the ground to organize gear for unloading/loading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LON78FQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tin Can
23-Apr-2021, 15:09
Just received Gator 2621 and unboxed

It is NOT wedge shaped, but does have an easily removable wedge with velcro

The DIMS are NOT as described by B&H ID

Inside DIMS ARE 26 X 21 X 6"

It was shipped from Gatorland

I will tell them Monday

I won't be hiking any mountains again, it may work for me

Thank you!

Michael Roberts
24-Apr-2021, 04:47
I think there may be some confusion about two different Gator cases.

This is the tapered 2621 case:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ND0YMUN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this is the untapered mixer case in Tin Can’s link in post 32 above:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/650534-REG/Gator_Cases_G_MIX_L_1926_G_MIX_L_1926_Lightweight_Mixer_Case.html/specs

Similar sizes, both look good for 12x20.

Note the 2621 weighs 6lb and change, and the “lightweight” 1926 case is 10lb+.

I also just came across this 2118 case suggested for 8x20 by Luis back in 2016: https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?135848-Protective-case-for-the-8x20-camera&p=1368684&viewfull=1#post1368684

I like the size and weight of this one much better (4lb). It might fit some 12x20s. You could also move up a size in this case if needed. I may check this out.

William Whitaker
24-Apr-2021, 12:05
Thanks Michael for the clarity. Wish the lightest fit, but it won't. My F&S is 24" wide, knob-to-knob.

CreationBear
24-Apr-2021, 12:09
I’m taking delivery of an external backpack frame today for hiking if I can figure out how to strap both camera and holders safely to the frame.

Excellent, does your new external frame have a packbag, or is it more of the freighter/loadhauler design? If the latter, a number of companies sell panels that support/compress awkward loads: Mystery Ranch's "Load Sling" and Kifaru's "Cargo Net" and "Cargo Panel" come to mind. Of course it's all dependent of the tab loop spacing how elegant a solution you can find, but usually where there's a will there's a way.

Otherwise, another option for y'all pushing ULF outfits down the trail would be the Hill People Gear's "Decker" pack--they're down in Grand Junction if you're ever passing through. (Kifaru is in an exurb of Denver, and would be even closer.)

diversey
24-Apr-2021, 13:53
I have a FS 12x20 camera and bought a Gator 2621 bag. Camera fits in the bag very well, even there is a little bit room. I put one film holder in outside pocket although the pocket cannot completely cover the film holder. The bag is not light, but it protects camera very well.

Thanks Michael for the clarity. Wish the lightest fit, but it won't. My F&S is 24" wide, knob-to-knob.

Michael Roberts
24-Apr-2021, 14:50
Excellent, does your new external frame have a packbag, or is it more of the freighter/loadhauler design? If the latter, a number of companies sell panels that support/compress awkward loads: Mystery Ranch's "Load Sling" and Kifaru's "Cargo Net" and "Cargo Panel" come to mind. Of course it's all dependent of the tab loop spacing how elegant a solution you can find, but usually where there's a will there's a way.

Otherwise, another option for y'all pushing ULF outfits down the trail would be the Hill People Gear's "Decker" pack--they're down in Grand Junction if you're ever passing through. (Kifaru is in an exurb of Denver, and would be even closer.)

The Cargo Panel looks fantastic. I've been looking for a way to strap the camera to the frame in its natural horizontal position, and the net looks like a great way to do it. Thanks!!!

Tin Can
24-Apr-2021, 15:04
300 lb load limit!

The Cargo Panel looks fantastic. I've been looking for a way to strap the camera to the frame in its natural horizontal position, and the net looks like a great way to do it. Thanks!!!

CreationBear
24-Apr-2021, 17:30
I've been looking for a way to strap the camera to the frame in its natural horizontal position

Excellent, I hope you find a platform that works for you--I will say that you might run into issues carrying the camera horizontally if the compression straps deform the corners of the semi-rigid case as you try to get lateral stability. I'm sure you'll figure something out, though.:)

William Whitaker
24-Apr-2021, 18:12
I think this is about where a mule begins to smell pretty good. Really, just moving my 1220 around the house wears me out. Never mind the great outdoors.
But, oh, how I do love that BIG ground glass! It is like a drug!

Corran
24-Apr-2021, 18:31
LOL try my Wisner! I think it's over 25 pounds bare.

Michael Roberts
25-Apr-2021, 05:04
Excellent, I hope you find a platform that works for you--I will say that you might run into issues carrying the camera horizontally if the compression straps deform the corners of the semi-rigid case as you try to get lateral stability. I'm sure you'll figure something out, though.:)
Yes, that’s my concern as well. I will need to keep pressure where the base and front rails are and minimize pressure on the rear frame (and on the film holders if they are strapped to the camera).

BTW, I just ordered a couple of these Universal Carrying Straps to experiment with: https://www.strapworks.com/Universal_Carry_Strap_p/ucs112n.htm

Tin Can
25-Apr-2021, 05:14
But you are young with a wife who assists

LOL try my Wisner! I think it's over 25 pounds bare.

CreationBear
25-Apr-2021, 10:40
Yes, that’s my concern as well. I will need to keep pressure where the base and front rails are and minimize pressure on the rear frame (and on the film holders if they are strapped to the camera).

Part of the problem is that the kinds of pack systems under discussion are designed for compressible loads (dry bags or meat bags) or else rigid cases--I keep imagining you reefing-down on a compression strap and winding up with a bag full of kindling.:eek:

That said, I don't know what kinds of plans you have for your ULF system, but given what little I've experienced of Front Range weather, if I were taking it too far down the trail I might go by Kifaru and "show-room" a Stryker XL
https://kifaru.net/store/packs/day-packs/kifaru-stryker-xl-hauler-daypack/
A spendy option indeed, but having been through a May blizzard in the RMNP one afternoon to fishing in shirtsleeves the next day, I'd feel a lot better if you had your layers close at hand...:)

Michael Roberts
25-Apr-2021, 13:23
Very good advice. Thanks!

More hypothermia deaths in the Rockies in summer than winter. Afternoon thunderstorms at elevation. Temp drops of 30+ and wet clothes.

Michael Roberts
28-Apr-2021, 17:39
Yet another Gator case for nomination--I don't think anyone has mentioned this one yet. Interior seems ideal for my 12x20 (25x19x8) and weighs less than four pounds:

https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Cases-Padded-Removable-G-MIXERBAG-2519/dp/B00T0OJJGS/ref=pd_di_sccai_1?pd_rd_w=asoFI&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=NNPD2XJB90C9W2SQJB4F&pd_rd_r=8313bcad-8430-4d84-9e03-3059998cdef5&pd_rd_wg=zN0Ex&pd_rd_i=B00T0OJJGS&psc=1

CreationBear
5-May-2021, 11:50
BTW, it slipped my mind at the time but the Adventure Tool Company down in Nederland might be worth stopping by--I could definitely see a custom padded case, maybe "up-armored" with HDPE sheets in sleeves, with a generous number of tab loops for attaching compression straps. (Speaking of which, Hill People Gear sells a unique set of straps that pull the load back toward the frame instead of relying on the force of a circumferential strap to "push" it back toward the pack--much less deformation that way.)

https://adventuretoolcompany.com/about

Michael Roberts
6-May-2021, 18:04
Thanks! I will definitely check them out.

photoboydc
10-May-2021, 17:44
I carried a Wisner 12x20 and much related gear, and the big Ries, using a sturdy suitcase dolly. It went everywhere, no problems. Maybe since suitcases all now have wheels dollies aren't so easy to find anymore. BTW the Wisner was carried in a large aluminum Halliburton suitcase with the original interior trimmings removed, and the walls padded with ensolite, a roll-up camping pad. Film holders and lenses were in separate cases, all on the luggage dolly. The tripod in its fleece lined case on my shoulder.

Michael Roberts
10-May-2021, 19:54
Interesting, photoboydc...
On rocky mountain trails, or just sidewalks? I can’t imagine hiking with a suitcase dolly.

photoboydc
11-May-2021, 17:38
Interesting, photoboydc...
On rocky mountain trails, or just sidewalks? I can’t imagine hiking with a suitcase dolly.

Mountain trails, no, but lots of broken ground, mud, snow, construction sites, icy trash, yes.

Michael Roberts
12-May-2021, 06:18
Gotcha, thanks.

Michael Roberts
12-May-2021, 06:20
Yet another Gator case for nomination--I don't think anyone has mentioned this one yet. Interior seems ideal for my 12x20 (25x19x8) and weighs less than four pounds:

https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Cases-Padded-Removable-G-MIXERBAG-2519/dp/B00T0OJJGS/ref=pd_di_sccai_1?pd_rd_w=asoFI&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=NNPD2XJB90C9W2SQJB4F&pd_rd_r=8313bcad-8430-4d84-9e03-3059998cdef5&pd_rd_wg=zN0Ex&pd_rd_i=B00T0OJJGS&psc=1

I received this case, and it seems an ideal fit for my 12x20, with room for at least two holders plus dark cloth and a few more accessories. Will post pics when I get back home next week.

Len Middleton
12-May-2021, 12:19
I received this case, and it seems an ideal fit for my 12x20, with room for at least two holders plus dark cloth and a few more accessories. Will post pics when I get back home next week.

I have the Gator MIXERBAG 2519 coming in from the local music store hopefully this week for my Korona 8x20, so hoping will handle the two holders and the rear extension, as well as the camera body.

Tin Can
12-May-2021, 12:29
Great!

I have 2 of the smaller ones in that series for smaller cameras!

Gator bags differ series to series

Mostly in the foam thickness and rigidity

Len Middleton
15-May-2021, 12:55
Just acquired the Gator G-MIXERBAG 2519 for my Korona Panoramic View 8x20, and put it into the bag.

The camera and two holder fits into the padded part of the bag, and the rear extension rail fits into the front pouch.

Looking at getting a luggage strap, as I have seen zippers fail from too much pressure against them.

Pix: 215895215896215897

Michael Roberts
17-May-2021, 12:25
Awesome, Len, thanks for sharing!

Here's my 12x20 in the 2519 Gator...

As you can see, it takes up all that head room your 8x20 has.

It's a perfect fit. Should be room for a couple of holders, rear rail, and focus hood.

Need to try and fit in a lens or two on the sides, in cases, maybe, or else carry them separately. Will have to play with this.

Len Middleton
17-May-2021, 16:21
Awesome, Len, thanks for sharing!

Here's my 12x20 in the 2519 Gator...

As you can see, it takes up all that head room your 8x20 has.

It's a perfect fit. Should be room for a couple of holders, rear rail, and focus hood.

Need to try and fit in a lens or two on the sides, in cases, maybe, or else carry them separately. Will have to play with this.

Michael,

Yes, I figured the extra 4" in format size would be taken up.

I found the depth enough to stack the two film holders (with a towel wrapped around the both of them) onto the front of the camera itself. Need to get a couple of pouches made for the film holders.

As the two handles come together reducing the stress on the zipper, re-considering the need for the luggage strap, but who knows...

Find the pictures more useful in better understanding how it could all fit in there, and save a couple of thousand words with the pictures...

Best wishes,

Len

Michael Roberts
17-May-2021, 17:50
I’m thinking of putting the holders on the GG side to prevent pressure from the rail. Or maybe one holder inside the spring back.

Tin Can
18-May-2021, 04:00
I bought a box of 24 X 36" Coroplast for cutting to size and protecting all kinds of things

So cheap I also use it for shipping

I lined the inside of a C1 Alu case, perfect, no rattle, no scratches, dust is easily wiped

Michael Roberts
18-May-2021, 04:55
Great idea!

Len Middleton
18-May-2021, 07:14
I’m thinking of putting the holders on the GG side to prevent pressure from the rail. Or maybe one holder inside the spring back.

Michael,

Thanks, much better solution.

Best wishes,

Len

Michael Roberts
18-May-2021, 07:33
You are welcome.
I like your idea about pouches. I bought some nylon material and am going to try using fabric glue for diy envelopes or sleeves. Mine won’t be as nice as Dan’s, but it will be a nice little project for me. Keeps me off the streets and out of the pool halls.

https://www.stonephotogear.com/filmstorage/8x10singlesleeve

Michael Roberts
19-May-2021, 06:36
I bought a box of 24 X 36" Coroplast for cutting to size and protecting all kinds of things

So cheap I also use it for shipping

I lined the inside of a C1 Alu case, perfect, no rattle, no scratches, dust is easily wiped

Still thinking how best to use this material. My first thought is it would be great for making film holder cases. I've been using Dell computer monitor, "suitcase" cardboard boxes, but the Coroplast would be great for customizing the sizes to fit 11x14, 8x20, 12x20, etc., film holders.

I also found this resource for how to cut, bend, and shape Coroplast: https://www.christinedemerchant.com/coroplast-scoring-cutting-gluing.html

William Whitaker
1-Jun-2021, 19:28

Michael,
Have you found reliable external dimensions anywhere for the 2519? I agree the inside dimensions are most critical to fitting the camera. But then the case has to reside somewhere, either in my car or in a closet.
Thanks you!

Michael Roberts
2-Jun-2021, 04:26
Michael,
Have you found reliable external dimensions anywhere for the 2519? I agree the inside dimensions are most critical to fitting the camera. But then the case has to reside somewhere, either in my car or in a closet.
Thanks you!

Will, the short answer to your question is no, but I can add some intel.
The G-MIXERBAG-2519 interior dimensions are 25.5” X 19.25” X 8”. The padding is fairly light, I would say about 1/4". So, add 1/2" all the way 'round for the exterior height and length plus 1" for the width including the external pocket.
I'm away from home until the end of next week. If no one else chimes in, I can send you exact measurements when I get back.

Len, if you see this, would you please post the external dimensions on your bag?

Thanks,
Michael

Len Middleton
2-Jun-2021, 09:41
Will,

Using a tape measure and the resulting level of accuracy of that and measuring something that can be compressed, I have the outer dimensions at 26"x20"x8", without the exterior pocket being pressed out. I did pull the bag out when measuring to compensate for the smaller 8x20 Korona, rather than the larger 12x20 camera, so those measurements should be in the ballpark.

One other consideration, is this version of the Gator mixer bag has square corners with no taper to the bag at all. As some audio mixing boards have sloped fronts, it may be that Gator has tapered bags for specific mixing boards. I do not know for certain, but something to watch for.

Hope that helps,

Len

William Whitaker
2-Jun-2021, 10:09
Thank you Len and Michael.
Len, the square corners are what I prefer.
Cheers,

CreationBear
2-Jun-2021, 16:18
"Costal Tennessee," William? Is that kind of like Mississippi de Arriba?:)

William Whitaker
3-Jun-2021, 11:57
Coastal is relative. The part of Tennessee nearest to the coast.
I guess...

CreationBear
3-Jun-2021, 12:15
Coastal is relative.

Ha, defined that way I could make a pretty good case for here in K'ville, but they put about a hundred miles of mountains in the way...:)

SLVRGLTN
5-Jun-2021, 09:43
I have enjoyed reading everyone’s comments and pictures of how they carry their 12X20’s and other ulf formats!!!

I currently have mine in a Lightware V4300 case! I have been thinking about traveling internationally in the future and I still have to figure out a way to carry it figured a very large pelican case!!!

Here’s a before picture of my F&S 12X20! 216412216412

Here’s an after it was semi-restored with a new ground glass, brass cleaned and polished plus a new set of bellows!

Unfortunately I only have one film holder for it!!!

Michael Roberts
5-Jun-2021, 15:43
Beautiful camera!