PDA

View Full Version : Small Hole Film Punch

tgtaylor
12-May-2018, 17:58
Looking for a small hole punch to punch holes in 8x10 film (like the ones in 8x10 Fuji Acros) so that I can hang sheets to dry using a paper clip. The Fuji holes measure 1/16" across (diameter). I found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Inch-Hand-Punch-Circle/dp/B0001DT3YU#customerReviews. Any other ideas?

Thomas

Roger Thoms
12-May-2018, 18:23
This might due the trick. You can get a 2 mm bit for it. https://www.dickblick.com/products/screw-punch-tool/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=12866-1000&gclid=Cj0KCQjwodrXBRCzARIsAIU59TKPXLB10JnZm9zIMjfQjkVzQq7r6ed0Nsv7pfp-qqU7X8QOxlGYPlYaAk2fEALw_wcB

If you search for Japanese screw punch you can see what’s out there. And if you can wait until Wednesday my girl friend has one and I can test it on some film. I know it works well on paper. I’m in Flag right now otherwise i’d test it right away.

Roger

Roger Thoms
12-May-2018, 19:01
This is the actual one we have, you can buy it as a kit with 9 bits or you can buy the handle and the bits individually.

http://www.talasonline.com/Japanese-Push-Drill

http://www.talasonline.com/Japanese-Push-Drill-Set-Drill-9-Bits

Also looks like the are plenty of copies on Etsy and eBay for a lot less.

Roger

tgtaylor
12-May-2018, 20:43
Thanks for the input Roger. I'm looking for something that I can easily place a small circular hole in the corner of a sheet right after I remove the film from the developing tank or from the wetting agent. With the drills you would have to lay the film flat against a hard surface to drill the hole. With the Fisker punch it looks like you can hold the sheet up with one hand and guide the punch to the correct location with the other and then thread the paper clip through the opening.

Thomas

Roger Thoms
12-May-2018, 20:58
Yeah, didn’t think of that. I can see the problem with a wet negative. Just curious what are you using to hang your negatives now.

Roger

tgtaylor
12-May-2018, 21:26
For 4x5 and 5x7 I use these film clips: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/123163-REG/Delta_58050_Stainless_Steel_Film_Clips.html?sts=pi. But 8x10 film is heavy and will slip from the clip unless the clip bite is deep into the emulsion from the edge. However that has the tendency to remove the emulsion at the point of contact leaving a white line on the negative and a black line on the print. Fuji Acros already has the hole so I simply clip a paper clip and hang the sheet from the paper clip. But now that Acros is being discontinued I will be shooting 8x10 Delta 100 and want to continue using the clip/paper clip method.

Thomas

Daniel Stone
12-May-2018, 23:54
That fiskars should do the job pretty well. Just punch the hole right before hanging up the film.

Randy
13-May-2018, 05:06
Google "leather hole punch"

sepiareverb
13-May-2018, 05:41
Thirty years of black lines in the corner of my prints and I never heard of the tiny hole in ACROS. what a great idea. Just ordered a punch.

jon.oman
13-May-2018, 06:40
Punch the hole before putting it into the film holder. You can then use any punch, and not have to worry about it.

Drew Wiley
13-May-2018, 08:32
I've used my masking registration punch, which is expensive device, but have a leather or belt punch in the darkroom too. Fiskars products are generally well made, but not Blick. I agree with punching the film dry.

William Whitaker
13-May-2018, 08:39
Punch the hole before putting it into the film holder. You can then use any punch, and not have to worry about it.

+1. Seems the obvious solution.

Jim Noel
13-May-2018, 09:25
I use dental x-ray clips. They punch their own hole the size of a straight pin. Hold any size film securely.

Daniel Stone
13-May-2018, 09:36
Personally, I would punch it when wet(much easier with 4x5 than 5x7 or 8x10, but still), that ensures that you only punch where you want the hole to be: NOT in the negative's area.
However, having always recommended that people leave some "cropping room" along the edges(with any format), this can help
Without a precision way of placing the hole(such as Drew's masking punch), you're doing a guessing game of "where's the hole" in terms of potential placement within the frame.

Roger Thoms
13-May-2018, 11:42
I use dental x-ray clips. They punch their own hole the size of a straight pin. Hold any size film securely.

Sounds similar to my dental clip but mine don’t punch a hole just have a sharp point that grips the film securely. A forum member gave me some the I found more on eBay. Thomas if you’re interested I can drop a few in the mail to you when I return on Wednesday. Just shoot me a pm with your address.

Roger

Tracy Storer
13-May-2018, 12:24
I've bought 1/16" punches at craft shops, and punch my ULF films to hang dry....
The punches don't always captivate the punched out piece, and occasionally leave a "chad", so, while I like the idea of punching before loading the holder, I'd worry if there was a little 1/16" round piece of film rattling around somewhere I don't want it. YMMV.

Peter Gomena
13-May-2018, 22:28
I have a leather punch that has a spur-like wheel with different size punches. Handy for many things, including making my belts tighter as I lose weight.

tgtaylor
14-May-2018, 09:31
After some thought I think I will punch the hole when I remove the developed negative from the tank. Pull the negative up but, before removing completely, punch the hole and then into the PhotoFlo. That way there's no touching the emulsion and you have a free hand. Punching the hole before loading the holder means you have to do it inside the tent blind.

I'm down to 8 sheets of 8x10 Acros and the 2 boxes of Delta I ordered a month ago are still on backorder.

Thomas

Drew Wiley
15-May-2018, 10:09
Strange. I always thought leather punches were to make your belt fit wider !

ghostcount
15-May-2018, 11:39
Lighter and a paper clip. Heat the clip, push it through the film then hang it.

dentkimterry
15-May-2018, 14:36
I use the Paterson film clips with the two sharp points that poke a hole in the film.. I only use one of the points in the corner and the negative hangs diagonally. I put the clip on right before it goes in the photoflo.
Terry

Drew Wiley
15-May-2018, 17:03
Just take your film to a Tattoo shop. They also do piercings, and can even fit you with gold teeth while waiting.

Eric Woodbury
15-May-2018, 19:08
This doesn't answer the question, but I use wooden or bamboo clothes pins.

sepiareverb
13-Jun-2018, 11:09
Well that Fiskars one did punch a hole, plus gouge emulsion pretty good. Flipped it over and gouged film base pretty good. There is a sharp metal tongue that really digs deep.

tgtaylor
13-Jun-2018, 13:05
I haven't used mine yet as I still have 3 holders with Acros to shoot. However I tested the punch on a developed negative that the bellows got in the way of and it appeared to be fine. No scratches only that I had the tendency to punch a tad closer to the edge than Fuji but my aim should improve with use.

Thomas

andrewch59
13-Jun-2018, 16:45
A bulldog clip and a piece of wire to make a hanger, that's all I use. A heavy duty bulldog clip with a piece of wire around one of the handles to make a hook, then it just hooks over your drying line.

drewf64
13-Jun-2018, 18:12
I use very small brass safety pins to hang my 8x10 film attached right after the final wash.
Hook easily to a paper clip from my film hanging shelf.
Hardly leave a trace.

jon.oman
13-Jun-2018, 20:04
I use very small brass safety pins to hang my 8x10 film attached right after the final wash.
Hook easily to a paper clip from my film hanging shelf.
Hardly leave a trace.

Nice solution!