PDA

View Full Version : Removing Standards from a Sinar P2

bieber
9-May-2018, 15:12
This is maybe a dumb question, but how do you remove the standards from the standard carriers on the P2? The manual's section on changing format refers to a "Knob F" that I should be able to use to remove the back standard at least, but I can't find any such knob on the standards. There's a flat-head screw towards the base of each standard that I suspect might be what I'm looking for, but they're extremely tight on my camera so I'm not sure if it's something I should be messing with.

Also, is regularly removing and reattaching the standards going to be detrimental to the camera? I ask because with the standards sticking out in one direction and the knobs in the other, I'm pretty sure my only hope of getting this thing into a case I could ever check on an airline (or comfortably transport by car, for that matter) is to take the standards off and store them separately.

Bob Salomon
9-May-2018, 15:31
Did you buy this used? Are you sure that you don’t have two front standards?

bieber
9-May-2018, 15:59
I did buy it used, and I'm not entirely sure how to tell the difference. The two standards seem to be mirror images of each other though, so I'm assuming they're two different ones. Here's some quick photos if that helps.

178065 178066 178067

Keith Pitman
9-May-2018, 16:36
I think Bob nailed it: it looks like you have two front standards. Either that or you have an X model that is not supposed to be able to change formats. The rear standard should have a knob on the right side that makes it easy to make a tool-less change of format. The screw in the center will release the standards so they can be removed. When you lift off the standards, don’t lose the two rollers that are loose underneath.

As far as traveling with a rail camera, this camera will hang in a regular monorail case and allow room for other accessories.

bieber
9-May-2018, 17:09
Interesting. They can't be the exact same standards, because if they were then their bellows rod holders would be on opposite sides as one's mounted in the opposite direction of the other. Maybe it is a different model that's not meant to be interchangeable? If that's the case, and I decide I want to get into 8x10 some day in the future, can I just buy a rear standard with the thumb screw on it?

> The screw in the center will release the standards so they can be removed. When you lift off the standards, don’t lose the two rollers that are loose underneath.

Okay, I'll give this a try. Are those two rollers going to remain loose as long as the standard is unattached? So I'll want to make sure I get a little baggie to hold onto them.

> As far as traveling with a rail camera, this camera will hang in a regular monorail case and allow room for other accessories.

Heh, I bought the Tenba 4x5 case, but this thing assembled is too tall to fit in it. So now I'm thinking I'll just get one of the Pelican air cases, disassemble the camera when I need to pack it away and travel, and that way I can check it on an airline too, if I want. It's just that the knobs sticking out on one side and the standards jutting out on the other make it hard to find a deep enough case for

Keith Pitman
9-May-2018, 18:08
Interesting. They can't be the exact same standards, because if they were then their bellows rod holders would be on opposite sides as one's mounted in the opposite direction of the other. Maybe it is a different model that's not meant to be interchangeable? If that's the case, and I decide I want to get into 8x10 some day in the future, can I just buy a rear standard with the thumb screw on it?

> The screw in the center will release the standards so they can be removed. When you lift off the standards, don’t lose the two rollers that are loose underneath.

Okay, I'll give this a try. Are those two rollers going to remain loose as long as the standard is unattached? So I'll want to make sure I get a little baggie to hold onto them.

> As far as traveling with a rail camera, this camera will hang in a regular monorail case and allow room for other accessories.

Heh, I bought the Tenba 4x5 case, but this thing assembled is too tall to fit in it. So now I'm thinking I'll just get one of the Pelican air cases, disassemble the camera when I need to pack it away and travel, and that way I can check it on an airline too, if I want. It's just that the knobs sticking out on one side and the standards jutting out on the other make it hard to find a deep enough case for

I suspect you have an X model. If you don’t have zero detents for the movements, it’s an X. If you paid a P2 price, you should get some money back.

With the Tenba case, try lowering the standards. It will give you more room at the bottom of the case. Innovate, adapt, overcome!

bieber
10-May-2018, 13:35
Huh, I do have zero detents on all my movements, except for the fine focusing. I wonder if someone just put the standard from the X model on the back of a regular P2. I did pay a little under what seemed to be the norm for this (about $850 with bellows, bag bellows, a couple lens boards and the ground glass), so I guess I shouldn't be surprised if it's not 100% typical

Keith Pitman
10-May-2018, 15:29
There is a picture in this listing showing the proper rear frame with the knob.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sinar-4x5-P-P2-Rear-Carrier-Frame-3-Only-For-Rear-Bearer-Ex/273188929547?hash=item3f9b54400b:g:0GwAAOSwEOpZ-T0s

Jeff Keller
11-May-2018, 10:34
All of the X models I've seen have red horizontal shift knobs (https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/g5oAAOSwLLZa9Jyy/s-l1600.jpg).

It looks to me that you have a P2 with the correct P2 parts with the exception of the rear frame. I believe the screw just above the Sinar label on your first picture is the one which would release the frame.

archphotofisher
11-May-2018, 14:20
I say the frames are from an x model, standards look p2 to me.

Jeff Keller
11-May-2018, 14:46
I say the frames are from an x model, standards look p2 to me.

At least one X model doesn't have the release knob on the rear frame
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/etgAAOSwAXZa9Jy1/s-l1600.jpg

If the rear frame could be mounted to the front, maybe someone wanted release knobs on both front and rear frames and swapped one leaving the OP without any.

archphotofisher
11-May-2018, 15:58
there is a sinar x 4x5 for sale on eBay right now, you can see the differences in the standards eBay item no.263645693448

just saw the post above, dido

bieber
11-May-2018, 17:33
Well, at least it looks like I didn't get too screwed. Those screws above the Sinar logo are on extremely tight though. The only thing I have that'll fit in there is a precision screwdriver (3/16" is too wide), and they just pop out if I use a pair of pliers to apply more torque, the screw doesn't budge. I think I'm just gonna give up on removing the standards and just lay them down horizontally stacked on top of each other in the case

Bernice Loui
11-May-2018, 17:51
That is a Sinar X, the frames are not intended to be removed.

Suspect it can be slightly altered so the frames can be removed as it would be surprising if Sinar significantly altered their tooling and production to offer a camera that special and specific.

Not possible to have two front Sinar P standards with the lower tilt controls as the the lock levers would bump into each other.

Bernice