PDA

View Full Version : What did you make with your Frankenlens today?

Jim Galli
8-May-2018, 19:12
I've been looking at a problem child lens that sits on a shelf above my computer. It is a rebranded Voigtlander Euryscop Series IV no. 2 and inscribed as R. Walzl Baltimore. But it only had glass in one end, so kind of useless unless you want a bad 14" f13-ish half of a Rapid Rect.

I've picked it up a hundred times before and wondered about it. So, yesterday I measured the empty space and went upstairs to see what might be possible. There was a front element from a little projection petzval that was within a millimeter of being the right size, so I installed the glass in the glassless front of the Walzl / Euryscop.

Put it on the camera and I had a very nice, fast, 155mm slightly soft f4 lens with lovely bokeh. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Since it was so fast I figured I'd put it on my 4X5 Graflex Series B. Looked great but won't go in far enough to focus at infinity. So I made the pictures of my muse, la puta negra and went to work on her many salacious angles. Hand held all. 1/235th second. It'll focus at about 10 feet away and closer.

I used Kodak 4127 Commercial film and developed in my usual PyroCatechol. not a bad afternoon's work.

Show us your frankenlens work.

Roger Thoms
8-May-2018, 20:40
I find the last one particularly nice!

Roger

blue4130
9-May-2018, 02:24
This wasn't done today, it was last week. But I finally designed and 3d printed a barrel for my cheap doublet. Its a 216mm f3.5 achromat for bulk surplus. The print is SLA and I am amazed at the quality of the threads. Screws right into my Shanel 5, no binding or roughness.

Jim Galli
9-May-2018, 09:42
I find the last one particularly nice!

Roger

Thanks.

This wasn't done today, it was last week. But I finally designed and 3d printed a barrel for my cheap doublet. Its a 216mm f3.5 achromat for bulk surplus. The print is SLA and I am amazed at the quality of the threads. Screws right into my Shanel 5, no binding or roughness.

Pretty sweet. Need to get some flat black material for anti-reflection properties. You must have a pretty good printer for the threads to work that well.

cowanw
9-May-2018, 12:47
Jim,apart from any of the lenses that you use, you have perfected the art of printing with a lovely glow and tonality.

Jim Galli
9-May-2018, 15:43
Jim,apart from any of the lenses that you use, you have perfected the art of printing with a lovely glow and tonality.

Thanks Bill! But full disclosure, I rarely get past a scan. The wet darkroom hasn't been fired up for printing in quite a while. About every 3 years I'll get on a kick and do a bunch of pt/pd, and then when that's out of my system just look at scans on the computer again.

blue4130
10-May-2018, 02:15
Thanks.

Pretty sweet. Need to get some flat black material for anti-reflection properties. You must have a pretty good printer for the threads to work that well.

Painting is on the weekend docket. As for the printer, I am farmed the work out to a commercial printhouse. They have machines that I can only dream of ;)

Jim Galli
10-May-2018, 10:33
Painting is on the weekend docket. As for the printer, I am farmed the work out to a commercial printhouse. They have machines that I can only dream of ;)

Did you have to provide a drawing that a printer can read? How did you do the specs so the threads worked so well? Might be a viable way to get bushings for other lens into shutter projects.

blue4130
11-May-2018, 02:20
I did the design myself in Fushion 360, I measured the threads using calipers and thread gauge tool. Then the rest was a bit of luck on my part, an engineer, I am not! Once I had the design done, I imported it to Mesh Mixer, that software takes in 3d CAD files and spits out files that 3d printers use. The company was able to print the adapter without any additional input from me.

I've decided that since this worked well, I'll try my hand at some more random lenses that I have that are lacking shutters. May try my hand at making some sort of quick bayonet mount system for my Shanel shutter.