PDA

View Full Version : Holders for and Handling of Infrared film - Newbie Questions

Bernhardas
7-May-2018, 02:05
I tried to find answers in the forum but was quite unsuccessful.

I acquired two boxes of unmarked IR film in a lot. (I guess it is Arista/Efke). I have shot IR film before just not ever 4x5.

Are the usual plastic holders suitable at all?
Does one need metal holders to prevent fogging?

If plastic holders are OK, how do you handle them on a sunny day in the field?
Special sleeves?
Insert folder only under the dark cloth?
Or am I overthinking all of this?

Any pointers from experienced IR shooters are highly appreciated.

Jim Jones
7-May-2018, 07:14
I never noticed any problems with using any film holder, wood or plastic, with IR film. In the field I usually keep film holders loaded with any film in a metal box, and load them into the camera under the dark cloth. Note: the Graphic brand film holders with five small raised bumps on the dark slides are opaque to IR. Earlier ones with only three raised bumps may not be safe for IR.

Bernhardas
7-May-2018, 07:54
I never noticed any problems with using any film holder, wood or plastic, with IR film. In the field I usually keep film holders loaded with any film in a metal box, and load them into the camera under the dark cloth. Note: the Graphic brand film holders with five small raised bumps on the dark slides are opaque to IR. Earlier ones with only three raised bumps may not be safe for IR.

Thanks soo much

cowanw
7-May-2018, 08:39
I believe, but cannot confirm, some bellows are not IR blocking.

Bernhardas
7-May-2018, 12:17
Thanks, I guess one has to try.
In case the bellows are IR leaking, I would probably try an outer shell made of cinefoil.
That is definitely IR tight.

uphereinmytree
11-May-2018, 06:18
I use efke IR all the time and never had an issue with any standard film holders. I do have the darkcloth over the back of the camera when slides are removed. some leather bellows are not IR proof. Wisner actually made a specific IR bellows as their thin red leather bellows weren't safe.

Talk of non IR proof holders and bellows had more to do with Kodak IR film, which was much more sensitive than any of the rollei,efke,ilford IR films you may find.

if you decide not to use your IR film, I would buy it.

Bernhardas
11-May-2018, 10:41
I use efke IR all the time and never had an issue with any standard film holders. I do have the darkcloth over the back of the camera when slides are removed. some leather bellows are not IR proof. Wisner actually made a specific IR bellows as their thin red leather bellows weren't safe.

Talk of non IR proof holders and bellows had more to do with Kodak IR film, which was much more sensitive than any of the rollei,efke,ilford IR films you may find.

if you decide not to use your IR film, I would buy it.

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely try to use som of it. The camera is a Sinar f1 and the bellow looks quite sturdy, but I know that looks can be deceiving for IR. I probably try some flash shots indoor first to nail the development and ISO before going outside.

I have no clue if the film was stored in a way, that it is usable. But if it is OK I would be happy to part with the second box.

uphereinmytree
11-May-2018, 18:02
I shoot efke IR film which sounds like what you have with the plain label. Rated at ISO3 with a B+W 092 filter. some folks like the even darker hoya R72 filter. The 092 filter lets in just enough regular spectrum to maintain good shadow detail which can be very empty with a pure IR filter. If you hold the filter up to your eye, you can see the infrared light with all but the darkest filters. I process in various dilutions of rodinal for around 10 minutes (Sheet film). If you like the film, Rollei stills produces a decent IR film with faster speed than efke.