PDA

View Full Version : Case for Lenses on Boards?

bieber
6-May-2018, 11:40
Does anyone make just a plain box or lightly padded case that's slotted to hold lens boards? Specifically the type for a 4x5 Sinar camera. I got a Tenba case that I can hang the camera itself from, but the rest of the case is just one big open area and it'd be nice to have a more structured place to stick lenses without them clanging into each other when I carry it around

Mark Woods
6-May-2018, 11:58
My Sinar came with a Sinar case that has two boxes with slots that fit the lens boards. The boxes fit in the designed case one on top of the other. The camera hangs inside. It's a bit heavy, but works fine.

Willie
6-May-2018, 12:51
Why not get the padded lens wraps?

https://www.wired.com/2012/01/photorito-a-lens-wrapping-burrito/

Plain wraps work as well and you can get them in different sizes and colors.

William Whitaker
6-May-2018, 13:18
While I have several dedicated lens cases, i also have in the past purchased a Pelican case and used the internal dividers to set it up for Sinar lensboards, which are my standard.
Just be careful to not get one too big as you'll never be able to lift it, else regret it if you do!

Alternatively, most any camera case of the right size can be set up as a lens case if you do your own internal blocking. A Tenba air case is good or a Lightware Power Kit case if you can find one of the right size.

Bruce Barlow
7-May-2018, 03:29
I took my Sinar-board-mounted lenses shopping, and fitted each with a plastic food storage container. There's one size that fits perfectly. Then, off to Wally-world to buy cheap cooler bags. 3 containers fit in a cooler bag, complete with shoulder strap. Inexpensive, flexible, easy to carry and pack in a Miata's trunk.

Doremus Scudder
7-May-2018, 03:41
I've mounted all my lenses except one 450mm on Technika boards and have a Technika-Sinar adapter board mounted on my Sinar camera. The smaller Technika boards take up a whole lot less space, plus they fit on my field cameras (Wistas).

For lens "cases" I have simply made my own corrugated cardboard boxes for each lens out of double-corrugated cardboard and good old box tape. Mine have no lids, but lids wouldn't be much of a problem if you wanted, e.g., making a flap with Velcro or something. The advantage to making your own is that you can fit your lens selection exactly, thus taking up less room. Having individual cases allows me to pack what I need for whatever outing I have in mind. And, they're cheap.

I've carried these in cases, backpacks and shoulder bags over the years and they hold up well and stack nicely. In one pack I have a field camera sitting on top of one of the lens boxes; it's sturdy enough to support the camera just fine; never a problem in the 20+ years I've done this with the same box.

Best,

Doremus

esearing
7-May-2018, 04:07
For lens "cases" I have simply made my own corrugated cardboard boxes for each lens out of double-corrugated cardboard and good old box tape.
Doremus

+1 But I found some 4x4x3 boxes at hobby store and added some felt padding.

Fly fishing multi-reel cases are also good for storing lenses, not really slotted but they have padded dividers like a camera case (sometimes). They come in long and narrow or more rectangular so depending on your backpack setup pick the one that works for you. Orvis makes a nice one but you can find cheaper no-name brands at the sporting goods stores that have a large fly fishing section like cabelas or bass pro.

bieber
7-May-2018, 08:04
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I finally went to actually put my camera in the tenba case I ordered, and it turns out it's totally unsuitable for the P2 anyways. Guess I'm just gonna go with a pelican case and I can pull out separate chunks of foam for each lens

Drew Bedo
8-May-2018, 10:21
I use the now discontinued line of cased made by Photobackpacker in my fielfd kit.

At home, there are several lenses mounted on lens boards that live in "ACID" brand cigar boxes, thickish mahogany wood, finger joints, . . . they polish up nice and can be had or a few bucks each at a cigar store or on e-Bay. These are protected in a zip-loc abg placed into a Crown Royal bag, then the cigar box.

A friend keeps his extensive inventory of lenses and gear in the drawers of large roll around Snap-On tool boxes.

Photobackpacker
10-May-2018, 07:04
I still have single lens cases for lenses mounted on 110mm square (4.3") boards if anyone is interested.
Bruce

consummate_fritterer
10-May-2018, 08:00
Like Doremus, I have my lenses mounted on Technika boards for use on a 4x5 Chamonix. I have a Toyo-Technika adapter to use the same lenses on a Toyo monorail. Even if I didn't own the Chamonix I'd still have the lenses on small boards and use an adapter for the Toyo. The small boards are just so much easier to pack and carry. I use padded lens wraps.

Emmanuel BIGLER
11-May-2018, 09:37
slotted

Hello from France!

You can have a look at this backpack with a home-made "storage system" with slotted wooden boards to hold LF lenses mounted on standard 140 mm Sinar boards.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/43175600@N00/5750193625/

Home-made by a friend of mine, Marcel Couturier who routinely uses his LF gear when hiking and cycling.
A nice woodworking project for those who love to use a router ;)

----

Another friend of mine uses a leather case similar to the ones used by craftsmen for carrying plumbing tools. (https://www.botaniqueeditions.com/3018-large_default/sacoche-a-outils-type-plombier.jpg)

This kind of leather case will fit Technika-style [96 x 99 mm] or 110mm square boards with a compact lens; you need of course to add some DIY foam or wooden separators if you carry 2 or 3 lenses.

archphotofisher
11-May-2018, 11:33
I have used a Halliburton 100 case with foam, cut out slots/ shape for my six lenses on sinar boards, each lens was encased with foam from top and bottom, the case would fit under the seat of the airplane so I carried it on. It was one part of my equipment I carried everywhere kept them close to me at all times. If my equipment got lost in the airline system i could aways rent a camera or borrow one from a local, consider my lenses irreplaceable.