PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a MPP camera?

pchaplo
5-May-2018, 11:42
If so, how are you liking it? Do the Mk.7 and Mk.8 have geared rise on front standard? Post a pic? I’d love to see yours!

Andrew Tymon
5-May-2018, 11:54
I have a Mk vIII, had it for about 20 years. Mine has geared rise not sure about the 7. The two camera's have different lens boards fyi. Mine does everything I need it to do, my only complaint is it's heavy.

Jim Jones
5-May-2018, 18:41
I believe the Mk 7 has a geared rise on the lower right of the front standard as you look at the front of the camera, just like my Mk 6. The rise lock appears to be in a different place. I've never used the Mk 6, as more familiar press cameras are available. It seems like a well engineered and built product. http://mike@butkus.org offers a manual for the Mk 7.

pchaplo
5-May-2018, 19:54
Andrew, I just learned of the MPP’s. I hope you post a snapshot of it for us to see!

Paul

I have a Mk vIII, had it for about 20 years. Mine has geared rise not sure about the 7. The two camera's have different lens boards fyi. Mine does everything I need it to do, my only complaint is it's heavy.

pchaplo
5-May-2018, 19:57
Jim, you have a Mk 6? Did I understand you correctly that you don’t use it? Can you post a snapshot of it so I can see the front standard (we, I’d love to see the whole thing! :)

Thanks,
Paul

Graham Patterson
5-May-2018, 20:59
http://grahamp.dotinthelandscape.org/mpp.html Has a picture of the VII front standard at the bottom of the page.

The camera with a 150mm lens is actually heavier than my Intrepid 8x10 with 270mm lens 8-)

Rise is geared. There is little fall without an offset lens board unless you drop the base board and use tilt and rise to effect the amount of drop you need.

Jim Jones
6-May-2018, 06:43
Jim, you have a Mk 6? Did I understand you correctly that you don’t use it? Can you post a snapshot of it so I can see the front standard (we, I’d love to see the whole thing! :)

Thanks,
Paul

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. If you need better, let me know and I'll get to it later today.

Jim

barnacle
7-May-2018, 00:13
Just to be different, I use an MPP Press - basically the same animal but with the rangefinder bolted on top and a focal plane shutter. The front standard is locknuts only, and tilts backwards to accommodate dropping the bed. I've turned that down so it will tilt the other way (got the hint from another user on here).

TBH I've never found the need to use the sports finder, the range finder, or the focal plane shutter :) but it's a solid old beast. The only issue I have is that the ground glass is set for the wooden plate holders, not the plastic film holders. That and the fact that it weighs a ton ;)

Neil

Andrew Plume
7-May-2018, 01:54
Neil

A very solid beast and a 'tank' too

Anyone of you guys thought about something comparable which weighs less i.e. a Toyo 45

regards

Andrew

Graham Patterson
7-May-2018, 08:28
My MPP was 'born' the same year as myself, and about 10 miles away. So it has a certain nostalgic appeal. But I don't carry it long distances as a rule! There are some things I can do with it that I can't do with my Wista (bellows extension, 'press' style off-tripod use), but the Wista is lighter and will handle a 90mm lens with ease. I am fortunate in having a choice of tools.

pchaplo
7-May-2018, 19:44
Jim,

Thanks taking the time to take and post the pics. I’m impressed with the quality of the camera. I especially like the geared rise as I need that in my work. The lack of that feature is why I will sell my Tachihara.

Again, I appreciate the pictures; to me they are just right!

Best,
Pail

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. If you need better, let me know and I'll get to it later today.

Jim

pchaplo
7-May-2018, 19:54
Neil, The focal plane shutter of the MPP Press could be a boon for photogs experimenting with barrel lenses such as the Aero Ektar. Is your Press a 4x5 format? If so, will it accept a modern plastic film holders?

Many thanks for introducing me to the MPP Press. I love heavy, well-made gear!

Best,
Paul

Just to be different, I use an MPP Press - basically the same animal but with the rangefinder bolted on top and a focal plane shutter. The front standard is locknuts only, and tilts backwards to accommodate dropping the bed. I've turned that down so it will tilt the other way (got the hint from another user on here).

TBH I've never found the need to use the sports finder, the range finder, or the focal plane shutter :) but it's a solid old beast. The only issue I have is that the ground glass is set for the wooden plate holders, not the plastic film holders. That and the fact that it weighs a ton ;)

Neil

pchaplo
9-May-2018, 13:44
Thanks the the tips on selecting a model. In starting my search, I particularly like the Mk.VIII with 90mm SuperAngulon and the cone board. SEXY!

How large of an operation was the factory and where was it located?. Would love to hear about your experience there.

Wishing you great light,
Paul

Having owned or used most MPPs (I was a founder member of the Users' Club, and even visited the factory once) I'd not bother with a III: hold out for a late VI or VII, or VIII, unless the III is very cheap. It functions well enough but the later cameras are more of a pleasure to use, and have international backs (removable groundglass) instead of plain spring backs. Also, register is questionable on some early cameras. On any MPP, check the groove that takes the locking bar of the film holder, as it is parlous close to the end of the side-walls of the back, and with wear, you can get light leakage at one corner.