PDA

View Full Version : Platinum print edition

pchaplo
3-May-2018, 16:23
I would like to take a handful of the over 100 fine art aerial landscape images from my book “Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country” (Texas A&M University Press) and do a small edition of platinum prints. Although the book is in color, I have refined black and white versions of the key images, but the files are digital. Is there a process for making a platinum print from a digital file? Would a film or paper internegative need to be made for contact printing?

Erik Larsen
3-May-2018, 16:29
Digital negatives on inkjet transparency film is the easiest and common way to do it. You can have film negatives made as well from someone like Bob Carnie.

pchaplo
4-May-2018, 07:07
Erik, thanks!

Digital negatives on inkjet transparency film is the easiest and common way to do it. You can have film negatives made as well from someone like Bob Carnie.

Alan9940
4-May-2018, 08:44
see this person: https://www.bwmastery.com/about/ <<Richard Boutwell

inkjet mastery for output to alternative & silver contact prints

+1

FWIW, I've used just about every method out there for crafting digital negatives from both digital and film originals, and I found Richard's process easy to use and I'm very happy with the results.

Paul Cunningham
4-May-2018, 11:00
Hi Paul,
I made and used a digital negative for this print in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKFWmLniavE.
I make them all the time, including for Austin Granger's recent show of 60 prints at LightBox Photographic Gallery.

faberryman
4-May-2018, 11:30
Paul,

My PtPd prints were recently criticized at a portfolio review for being "inauthentic" because they were made with digital negatives, rather than large format film. I was told to get a 11x14 view camera. In your experience, how prevalent is that view among art critics?

bob carnie
4-May-2018, 11:38
+1

FWIW, I've used just about every method out there for crafting digital negatives from both digital and film originals, and I found Richard's process easy to use and I'm very happy with the results.

Hi Alan

How hard of a learning curve was this program, I am thinking of purchasing it from Richard.

thanks

Bob

Paul Cunningham
4-May-2018, 11:39
Everyone's a critic, but only you know what works for you. Some people prefer an all analog workflow, and I can't argue with that. But for me, a hybrid analog/digital workflow is ideal.

Paul,

My PtPd prints were recently criticized at a portfolio review for being "inauthentic" because they were made with digital negatives, rather than large format film. I was told to get a 11x14 view camera. In your experience, how prevalent is that view among art critics?

bob carnie
4-May-2018, 11:41
Paul,

I think you met someone talking out of their ass.

Kirk Gittings
4-May-2018, 11:48
I think you met someone talking out of their ass.

indeed

Drew Wiley
4-May-2018, 11:56
In the right hands, platinum can be a much more elegant and subtle media than inkjet. But it's also a precious metal and tricky to replicate in matching "edition" form. So I hope you have $$$.

bob carnie
4-May-2018, 12:03
In the right hands, platinum can be a much more elegant and subtle media than inkjet. But it's also a precious metal and tricky to replicate in matching "edition" form. So I hope you have $$$.

Drew I think he meant the negative to make the Pt Pd was not pure therefore not good.

Alan9940
4-May-2018, 12:31
Hi Alan

How hard of a learning curve was this program, I am thinking of purchasing it from Richard.

thanks

Bob

Not really hard at all. IMO, the hardest part is figuring out the workflow based on which spectrophotometer you're using. If using an I1 like what Richard uses, it's certainly more straightforward, but if using something like a ColorMunki (which is what I used) not so much. But, Richard is a very helpful guy if you need help and, once you've done one, building all the remaining profiles is easy. One other point that some may not realize is that you need QuadTone RIP; it's shareware so it's up to each individual to pay the requested license fee. Oh, I almost forgot, I work on Windows which is a slightly different process from working on a Mac.

Anyway, bottom line is that I highly recommend Richard's program. I had been using Mark Nelson's Precision Digital Negatives system for many years, but Richard's program is much easier to understand and use, and the results are equally good.

Hope this helps.

bob carnie
4-May-2018, 12:33
Not really hard at all. IMO, the hardest part is figuring out the workflow based on which spectrophotometer you're using. If using an I1 like what Richard uses, it's certainly more straightforward, but if using something like a ColorMunki (which is what I used) not so much. But, Richard is a very helpful guy if you need help and, once you've done one, building all the remaining profiles is easy. One other point that some may not realize is that you need QuadTone RIP; it's shareware so it's up to each individual to pay the requested license fee. Oh, I almost forgot, I work on Windows which is a slightly different process from working on a Mac.

Anyway, bottom line is that I highly recommend Richard's program. I had been using Mark Nelson's Precision Digital Negatives system for many years, but Richard's program is much easier to understand and use, and the results are equally good.

Hope this helps.

Did you need the spectrometer to read the patches? or can this be done after scanning the printed material of process you are using and using his program?
I have quadtone program, Ron Reeder installed it for us,

Paul Cunningham
4-May-2018, 13:01
One other point that some may not realize is that you need QuadTone RIP

And also that QuadTone Rip (QTR) only supports Epson printers.

Alan9940
4-May-2018, 13:28
Did you need the spectrometer to read the patches? or can this be done after scanning the printed material of process you are using and using his program?
I have quadtone program, Ron Reeder installed it for us,

I think you need the spectro because the patches are directly read. However, I'm not sure if you can or can't use a scanner. I'd suggest contacting Richard for that info.

Alan9940
4-May-2018, 13:29
And also that QuadTone Rip (QTR) only supports Epson printers.

Yes, thank you for mentioning that Paul. Richard's program only supports Epson K3 inks, too. So, it's kind of an Epson-centric thing.

Peter Collins
4-May-2018, 15:23
it's about the image, not the equipment.

Erik Larsen
4-May-2018, 17:15
I use my densitometer to read the patches, don't need a spectrophotometer to use Richards program. I found for my printer(epson p600) that his starter curve was perfect and only needed linearization for different processes. It's really simple.